Transmission Work

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

Change all your shifter bushings and go to your local gm dealership and get 3 quarts of gm syncromesh. The one i got from the dealership was actually called ac delco syncromesh(which is the same thing). Drain your old tranny fluid and put that in there, give it a few weeks or so to work and then enjoy the buttery smooth shifting. This would definitely help with getting your car into gear while downshifting.

The lurching could be numerous things though, best to have a shop take a look at it. Most will give you a free quote.
illapino

Post by illapino »

as i said, i've had my tranny fluid replaced. the effects were considerable but wore out with time. it's the trans or the shift
1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

But you never used gm syncromesh, give it a shot.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

mxmaz wrote:But you never used gm syncromesh, give it a shot.
You would get that same results with Redline MTL or Torco MTF as well. The trans also shifts a lot smoother and there is a noticeable difference in gas mileage and accelleration as well.
illapino

Post by illapino »

sorry, but (even if it could be an improvement over the previous fluid) i really don't see how a different brand of transmission fluid could be a cure-all.

**goes in garage, jacks up car, pulls off exhaust, and replaces shifter bushings**
1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Not all tranny fluid is the same. Many gear oils, engine oils, and ATFs used in various gearboxes are too slippery for proper synchro engagement. The tranny fluid has to have the appropriate coefficient of friction for a manual transmission synchronizers to engage smoothly. For this the manufacture add friction modifiers to improve the frictional properties for rapid synchronization; balanced with providing adequate viscosity to prevent wear and deaden gear noise.

The other thing to consider is synthetic basestocks have a natural multigrade property so large amounts of unstable thickeners are not required to manufacture synthetic gear oils. the benefit is with synthetic oil provides relatively constant viscosity as temperature changes when compared to conventional mineral based oils
hharb

Post by hharb »

could there be any products that you add to your transmission oil to give you a better performance?
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

illapino wrote:sorry, but (even if it could be an improvement over the previous fluid) i really don't see how a different brand of transmission fluid could be a cure-all.
What makes you say this? Different tranny fluids make a big difference. I have experience with redline mtl and syncromesh and the syncromesh was very noticeably better.

What do you have in your transmission now?
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

hharb wrote:could there be any products that you add to your transmission oil to give you a better performance?
There is and they don't generally work that well. Often they react with the additives all ready in the oil do more harm than good in the long run.
illapino

Post by illapino »

okay: story is that i got a shop to put in the transmission fluid. there was significant and drastic difference in that for the first time, shifting was buttery: i could indirectly feel the oil ... but this sensation wore out after about 3 weeks?
so what if i put in ur brand of oil? sure, i agree here and now that it's better than what i have (i have no clue what it is) but couldn't it be possible that it will just 'vanish' as well? i'm not talking about quality. i'm talking about 'foreverity'. forever as in at least more than 3 weeks!

:roll:

and no. there are no leaks. just... VANISHed
1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”