Air Intake System

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
superman_t11

Air Intake System

Post by superman_t11 »

I have the stock air intake system and am having a very hard time locating a decent cold air intake system for my 92 GS
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

http://corksport.com/store/category/53f ... ntake.html

or you can try ebay i dont know if you looked there already. i thought corksport made a PRM intake for the v6 but i dont think they sell it anymore.
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

OMG, there's a sticky on the top of this Forum (V6 Performance) that gives lots of CAI info. Not much of a "Super" search was done. It's not good practice to have people continually repost or duplicate info that's been already well documented in the past. I suggest a good search will net you all the info you are looking for. Having said all that, have you tried utilizing a K&N filter replacement instead. You may find that you should get results with that also.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
madLyrical

Post by madLyrical »

yea yo usually i be like dam give the dudes a chance, but that sticky is quite easy to find even without a search
Red Egg

Post by Red Egg »

end
Last edited by Red Egg on December 18th, 2006, 1:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Simply buy a straight neck KLZE probe gt intake, cut one of the pupes.. turn and walla DIRECT bolt on true cai (runs to the fender well) .... this has been discussed millions of times..
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mazdaspeedmx_3

Post by mazdaspeedmx_3 »

i think my cold air intake works better than the ones that go into the fender.....i just go a 45 degree pipe and stuck my vaf on the end of it and it goes out from my intake right to the bottom of my engine so it can only suck air up from under the car even in the summer after goin down the highway the intake is cold and my intake manifold just gets alittle waem
2006 best ET 14.43 @ 96.9mph
93 MX-3 GS-95 Curveneck klze, kl-01 cammed,homemade CAI,HEI module, chipped kl-07 ECU,UDP,KYB GR-2 struts,DropZone lowering springs, Toyo Proxes 4's 205-50-r15
parts to be installed:Turbo hot pipes,T04E/t3 50/63 57 trim, ssqv BOV, hks style 38mm wastegate
the rest of my turbo set up and IPP hp rebuild kit is in the NEAR future
SOON TO BE MX-3ZE-T
BornSticky

Post by BornSticky »

90-93 Integra Intake From Ebay
they're the best pics i have of it it cost me $90 total you buy 90-93 integra cia and need 2 reducers 5"-3" i believe it was i got mine from canadian tire but u can rig it up from almost anything try a store that sells truck exhausts and intakes they have reducers. (ie freightliner peterbilt etc.)
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
hharb

Post by hharb »

http://www.cosmoracing.com/productinfo. ... 3&pid=1548
I personally got this, i did not use the 2 pices of pipes, i only used the small one and it fits just great.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Born sticky. mone looks the exact same , i used a klde cai and cut one pipe and turned it around. Cept it cost me 65 dllrds shipped. :)
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

This is not a good configuration and is a step backwards from being as effective compared to the OEM airbox.

This is a much better set-up. Why??? Because the source air input is drawn from a dead air cavity in the fender where a colder source of air can be found. The first set-up will dramatically be less effective because it will constantly draw in hot air from the engine bay, and when the car is at speed, will get a blast of hot air as the outside air passes through the rad, gets super heated and then hits the cone filter. Therefore it won't be a CAI - Cold Air Intake. Close examination will show that the oem airbox has almost a complete seal from the filter to the rad-top tube. Whereupon it will draw in air from outside from under the hood due to the factory designed indentation on the inside of the hood where that intake tube meets it. Pretty clever those factory engineers.....LOL
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
BornSticky

Post by BornSticky »

jschrauwen you are so clever and hey did you check the search cause your just wasting bandwidth jeeze.........
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

BornSticky wrote:jschrauwen you are so clever and hey did you check the search cause your just wasting bandwidth jeeze.........
Well you got me on that one. Sometimes from time to time, it's necessary to hit people point blank with pics and description even though it's been clearly documanted previously. For some reason whether it be laziness or misstrusting previous data, people will still repeat previous queries and sometimes are strongly reluctant to do the work themselves and search. Using current pics seems to drive the point home better. We do at times STILL have to spoonfeed the occasional new member, a sometimes inheirent necessity.
mazdaspeedmx_3

Post by mazdaspeedmx_3 »

so theres the pocket with the dead air in the fender .....where do you think the filter is suckin air from under heavy accelleration ....probably not through the little one inch hole at the bottom of the fender ..... its right from the engine bay ....kinda defeats the purpose....i'll get some pictures of my intake A REAL CAI

if someone could kindly tell me how to add a picture to the forum i'm a little illiterate when it comes to computers hahaha
2006 best ET 14.43 @ 96.9mph
93 MX-3 GS-95 Curveneck klze, kl-01 cammed,homemade CAI,HEI module, chipped kl-07 ECU,UDP,KYB GR-2 struts,DropZone lowering springs, Toyo Proxes 4's 205-50-r15
parts to be installed:Turbo hot pipes,T04E/t3 50/63 57 trim, ssqv BOV, hks style 38mm wastegate
the rest of my turbo set up and IPP hp rebuild kit is in the NEAR future
SOON TO BE MX-3ZE-T
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

Well it's probably comming for a number of sources, but it's sure as hell not gonna be has a hot as if it was sucking RIGHT beside the engine...when the cool air in the so called "pocket" in the fender has been sucked up, it creates a vacume which in turn brings in more cool air rushing under the car, or through the bumper. It will sucks abit of warm air, but not nearly as much as a short ram, and more efficently that the stock air box setup.

I'm curiouse about your real CIA.

Can I post Images? you ask.

Images can indeed be shown in your posts. However, there is no facility at present for uploading images directly to this board. Therefore you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.some-unknown-place.net/my-picture.gif. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor to images stored behind authentication mechanisms such as Hotmail or Yahoo mailboxes, password-protected sites, etc. To display the image use either the BBCode [img] tag or appropriate HTML (if allowed).
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”