CF hood adjustment and maintenance

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
hharb

CF hood adjustment and maintenance

Post by hharb »

I recently installed a CF hood and it still doesn't fully close. like i don't have to pop the hood from the inside to get it to open, there's a big gap between the bumper and the hood (just like when the hood is popped) so i could just stick my hand in there and open it. Is there a way to get it to fully close? i have hoodpins to hold it down, but the gap is very annoying so is the idea that anybody could open my hood. Also some small bubbles are starting to show, does anybody know why and how to prevent more bubbles from showing? and how to maintain the hood, it honestly costs a fortune and i don't want it to look like crap. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

you need to re-clear coat it. To let it down some more you might have to adjust hood stops. On each side of the hood there rubber/plastic pieces that go up/down.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
hharb

Post by hharb »

Thanks for the tip. i removed the rubber pieces and the hood goes lower now, but still does not fully close. are there any other things i could do? I will definitely get it clear coated next summer when i get my car painted.
yence

Post by yence »

As you probably know, your hood is fitted with 2 bolts on each side. You can add metal rings to the rear ones (closesed to the windshield) to make the hood tilt to the front.
1995 noble green MX-3 RS (sold)
1994 clear white MX-3 GS (r.i.p.)
1987 white RX-7 FC
1993 mighty grey MX-3 GS
hharb

Post by hharb »

hmm, that sounds like a good thing to try, thanks alot for the great idea :D
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

were there studs under rubber grommets?
Your hood latch should be adjustable, you can drill out mounting holes more to allow it to drop down more. that way when you shut it, it'll go down further
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
illapino

Post by illapino »

which style of carbon fiber hood is this, and from who did u buy it from? (so that potential buyers like i will be aware) ...
1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine
hharb

Post by hharb »

it;s an inverted hood just like the one shown in evilyeti.com i'm not making claims that it's exactly the one they sell, it just looks exactly the same, i bought it used, it looks great but there are fitment issues which i believe exist with all aftermarket hoods, and well there's the bubbling issue that's driving me nuts, the bubbles are still very small and unnoticable from distance, and i just want to keep it that way. I tried posting a pic but well for some reason it's not working in here. You can follow this link and the pic of the car with the hood is the last one. http://hassanharb86.spaces.live.com/photos/
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

did you try what I suggested? As far as bubbles, youll have to take it to body shop and have them re-clear coat it
hharb

Post by hharb »

no i haven't yet, i need someone to help me do it since it's a bit of a 2 men job, but the idea makes alot of sense, i should give it a shot sometime during the holidays, and as far as clear coating it will be done when i paint my car in the summer, the car will be parked in the winter so nothing will get worse.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

only take one person to drill out holes on latch
illapino

Post by illapino »

i hope fitment issues won't come up with raceonusa's VSIK EK style hood, or whatever its called: often called inverted also, but nicer than 'the' inverted hood ...
1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine
hharb

Post by hharb »

Oops, sorry mitmaks i was thinking of yence's reply when i posted... as for yours to tell you the truth i'm a bit confused and dont totally get it, it would be great if u explain a little, i'm not sure where you want me to drill the holes, and what for.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

hood latch (holds your hood down) is mounted onto radiator support with 2 bolts. If you take out those bolts and elongate holes down more, it will allow hood to go down more when its shut
hharb

Post by hharb »

hmm, thanks alot man, ill try and give it a shot tomorrow

Return to “Appearance”