Car dies when I stop... Please help!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Lor3nzo

Car dies when I stop... Please help!

Post by Lor3nzo »

Okay I've tried like forever to become a member here but now they just activated my account so now maybe someone can help me? Anyway I bought a 95' MX-3 RS 1.6L 4-Cyl. DOHC and its a piece of crud lol. I've been putting more work into it then the car is worth!

Anyway my car has been dying when I stop... like it struggles and i can see my Idle dropping and then it just dies... i have to hold the gas pedal down to keep it alive, I've changed the following to the car:
- Adjusted my timing, also put a new timing belt on
- New Fuel Pump and filter
- Added a thermostat
- New radiator
- replaced all 4 fuses

a friend was checking my compression on my fuses and it appears I'm only getting 160lbs on the far left and only 60lbs in the middle and only 3lbs on the right middle and 150lbs on the left side, something like that anyway... Could this be caused my a bad head gasket? That's what he has been telling me, he has been working on cars for awhile but they are so much, it's like 300 bucks for the part...

It's a duel cam so I'm told and he says the car should get up and go pretty darn fast but its really slow! Thanks to anyone who can help!
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

From what you have listed that you have replaced it sounds like you overheated the motor. I would assume you have a bad headgasket if you did overheat it, although you should talk to your friend moreabout what to do about the problem.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Lor3nzo

Post by Lor3nzo »

So if the motor is overheated is it never going to be fixed unless i replace the whole thing? Or would the headgasket work any? Awhile back the radiator was shot and the car did overheat really bad the car died all the time, but before the radiator went out the car still died but only in the morning and sometimes it would still struggle when i was at a stop... if i put it in Neutral it will be okay but nonetheless it shouldn't be doing this.
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

basically. it will run itself in the ground, i had the same exact thing happened. radiator blew then it overheated twice, got coolant in my oil. see i was lucky because my head wasnt warped or cracked or nothing. i would take care of this now with rebuilding it or swaping in a new engine. depends where you are. like new rings, bearings, gaskets, head work. since you already have put some work into. mine i put in like 3k so far its almost totally rebuilt with sensors, gaskets, getting 190psi in each cylinder and went through tons of parts but almost there. just takes time and good luck you can try searching up top it has alot of info out there.
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
Lor3nzo

Post by Lor3nzo »

well it sounds like a lot of work, and money... this is the only car I have so i don't have the time to take things out or swap anything... Winter is coming up so it makes it harder. Would the new head gasket help? Thanks!
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

ya it will help, i mean if you just want your car back on the road just do the minor things. if you do have more money and time id get new rings and bearings and stuff and get some head work done. are you gonna be doing the work?
Lor3nzo

Post by Lor3nzo »

Yeah I'm going to be helping work on it, i'm pretty new to cars i only now how to do the easy things, but I'm learning from a friend how to do things. It would kill me if i took it into a shop... labor and all so i think its cheaper this way. As long as it gets back on the road and doesn't die on me anymore then that's all i care about right now but i still have plans on fixing more things to the car.

The past owner didn't take care of it and its kind of sad because she really did nothing to it and for that reason the car is in bad shape, its a nice car but it has its problems like a lot of cars all it needs is fixed.
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

hmmmm - nobody suggested to replace the temp sensor? check the price, might be something worth doing to get your car running
Lor3nzo

Post by Lor3nzo »

where can that be found?
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

well if hes getting only 3psi and 60psi in the middle cylinders sounds like the head gasket is either warped or blown in the center. but ya that would be a cheap fix to see if you can run it for a while.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”