Head Work

A forum for MX-West Car Club Related Topics. MX-West has two Chapters;, the original is in Vancouver, British Columbia, and the second is in Calgary, Alberta.
Timmie_g

Head Work

Post by Timmie_g »

Hey guys, I'm burning alot of oil lately and ive narrowed it down to be the valve stem seals, I was wondering if anyone has replaced these in their MX.

Mine is a 95 DOHC 1.6L

I know there are lots of ways of doing it (taking the head off or not)

While I'm in there im changing the Timing Belt, Idler, Tensioner, Crank and Cam seals as well.

If anyone has any helpful information it would be greatly appreciated.

I'll be using a Haynes manual as well.

Thanks
wyldside
Supporting Member
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by wyldside »

If you're going through all the trouble of getting the heads rebuilt, you might as well get them machined. Basically just pull head off and then the camshafts off. It's fairly straight forward, but use care and finesse not to damage anything. Most repair manuals list to correct order to loosen bolts etc. Then you should order a set of new valve stem seals and head gasket. Then take the head and stem seals to Firebolt engines in the SE and get them to do the rebuild for you. I don't think you'll need to replace valves or anything. Possibly the valve guides, but they will be able to make the call on that one. Once the head is rebuilt, you can put the rest of your engine back together. You might almost be better off just getting an overhaul gasket kit since you shouldn't really reuse many of the other gaskets. I hope that helps.

You may want to consider holding off on this if you are putting in a BP-T eventually.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

1992 Seal-Gray MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :mrgreen:
1992 White MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :( Worklog (Parting out)
1993 Blaze Red MX-3 GS - RIP :cry:

Return to “MX-West Car Club (Vancouver, BC / Calgary, AB)”