Just bought my first mx3, questions??

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
bubsy83

Just bought my first mx3, questions??

Post by bubsy83 »

I just picked up a 1993 MX-3 with a 1.8 V6 with almost 300000 km on the odometer. It is a 5 speed.
1) What is the reasonable cost for replacing passenger front cv joint, gas tank, and ebrake.
2) How long before I will need to replace the engine. It is running smooth and does not appear to be burning oil.
I was born and bred a GM girl and I have always admired the MX3, so I finally decided to buy one. I just parked my big old Monte SS for the winter and I look forward to getting to know my MX3. I also am going to learn how to drive stick finally too. Great website, and thanks to any who offer a response.
Barb
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

well you can get NEW shafts from autozone with lifetime warranty.. they include cv joints and cost around 72 dllrs, yeah lifetime warranty. Also usually the bearings go on cars that high milleage, mine went around 200 thousand miles.. however i drive it hard. Good luck :D and only go to shops that are you have had past good experiences with.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

I've never heard of bearing going on these motors at high mileage Hector. what bearinsg you refering too? the rod bearings i'm assuming. As long as she chnages the oil regularly and doesn't drive the living piss out of it it like you do it should be fine.

She says it doesn't burn any oil. Thats very surprising for a k8 with 300k not burning oil. Also how sure are you that, the motor ahs 300k on it. It could have been replaced for all you know.

anyways new motors are easy to come by. alot of us swap the jspec 200hp klze but if you don't care about going fast a usdm de will be quicker for sure and drop in. K8's are also very cheap to buy from importers.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

oh and your from Stratford eh...you should get over to the toronto section of the forum. there is lots of us in the area, and we have meets alot!
take care
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

wheel bearings...
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

[quote="hgallegos915"]wheel bearings...[/quote]

thats normal wear and tear..expect that with any car you buy with high mileage!
ElectronBlue

Post by ElectronBlue »

yeah i agree bearing should be replaced every so often to me.... depends on how hard you beat the vehicle
1992 mx3 gs Klze with Powder coated black Curved neck Manifold. Hot shot performance CAI, ford probe Gt ECU and MAF

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2197073
bubsy83

Post by bubsy83 »

I just found out that I need to replace a caliper, and brake pads as well. My mechanic is hoping I get lucky with the cv joint and that it just needs to be greased but he'll know better in a couple of days when he gets to my car. Worst case scenario, I am looking at about $500 in parts, which includes replacing the gas tank and the cv joint as well as the brake work. He told me the car is clean and in great shape for its age and it was a good buy.

I have been enjoying this website. The information available is amazing compared to the monte site I frequent as well. I am definately interested in the KLZE for an engine swap in the future. I am hoping the engine will last a year so I can save the coin for it though!!

Thanks
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

provided it's not already burning oil, u should b good for awhile.
i beat the h%## out of my old K8 and was burning oil from 250 till 355 when i finally pulled it out. (now i'm beating on my ZE...425 000 km so far)
when it finally does start burning, just keep an eye on the level and top it up.

you're not too far away from a few of the more active members of the toronto chapter.....unfortunately neither currently have a working mx LOL
but ya, if u'r in need of any free labour, just let us know. we all work on each other's cars
bubsy83

Post by bubsy83 »

Well, thanks for the tip and the offer. I just may take you up on it as I am new to imported cars and apprehensive about 'messin' with it. However this site is pretty informative to help newbie's like me figure this car out My old Monte is pretty simple and being that my family is big into American muscle it is covered. I am kind of on my own with the MX-3 but I love it. I have so many ideas as to what I plan to do with it, but for now I am spending $$$ on the safety so I can put my plates on it.

The rest will come in time.

The good news is that I haven't stalled it yet. It's been over 15 years since I have attempted standard shift, and even then I quit 'cause I was in too big of a hurry to drive. I am older and more patient and it seems pretty beginner friendly.

I should have it back by the week end so I can get better at driving it. I am definately interested in the meets in Toronto to see what others have done to their MX-3's.

My mechanic told me I picked up a clean solid little car, so there is potential. I guess the Monte will still have to wait for restoration 'cause the MX-3 has captivated my attention. :-)
bubsy83

Safetied, and plated...Update!!

Post by bubsy83 »

Well, I got her back today. Parts replaced including cost include the following;

Caliper $200.79
Front Pads $68.78
Rear Pads $59.89
C.V. Boot $27.32
Fuel Tank $223.68
1 Brake Cable $48.22 From what I was told the brake cable comes in 3 parts???
1 hour inspection for safety slip

Total Labour 6.5 hours $390

So, basically I spent as much in repairs and the safety as I did on the car, but that's okay. I am having fun with it and drove it beyond my comfort zone for driving stick today and did well...meaning I didn't stall it or bunnyhop, but definately improving on slowing down for turns. Cool car, why didn't I buy one of these sooner??? Oh yeah I am a redneck, preprogrammed to buy American muscle...I have seen the light and have broadened my horizons so to speak. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this informative site as I am addicted to it and I have a lot of ideas on making my MX-3 the best ride I ever had. Cheers! :2thumbsup:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”