smoke

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
corey123

smoke

Post by corey123 »

when i start it up it lays a white smoke screen and stops when it gets warm i changed thermostat and put new colant anything else
twoie

Post by twoie »

could just be condensation. Similar posts have been made and I think if you try searching with "white smoke" you'll find them. From what I remember reading this was the general thought. Just make sure your fluid levels are right and your oil has it's normal colr with no sludge on the dip stick.

hope it helps

twoie
hobbypete

Post by hobbypete »

Could that smoke have a blue tint? What you describe is typical of worn valve guides. When they heat up, they expand, thereby sealing off the leak. Have you tested compression to isolate the problem?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Could that smoke have a blue tint? What you describe is typical of worn valve guides. When they heat up, they expand, thereby sealing off the leak. Have you tested compression to isolate the problem?
Worn valve guides will smoke at other times besides cold start. As will worn or torn valve seals. Typically any time the engines vacuum increases rapidly the engine will suck oil past the valve guides/seals. Yes this will decrease as the engine warms up.. but wont stop it completely. You will often see puffs of blue tinted smoke when shifting. Also.. A compression test will not show worn or failing valve guides or seals. It will show damage to valves and rings though.

If it is a pure white smoke.. it is more likely steam and I agree with twoie that it is only condensation in the exaust system burning off if it only happens at cold start when the outside temperature is below 40 degrees F.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I've got a 95 MX-3 DOHC and I can start it up, only a little bit of condensation burns off and it's very hardly visible in the morning when it's below 40 degrees (I work at 5AM in the morning)

however the 94 here gives a smokescreen as well, but it lasts a good 30 minutes if you let it sit there... then drive it off after that and it'll puff for about 5 minutes of driving then it's good for all day. I doubt that is condensation.

be more specific, how long it lasts, how much smoke is it, conditions and such
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
corey123

Post by corey123 »

the smoke comes with a blue tent then goes to just white it last about 5 minutes and now my sparkpugs keep fowling up. at low rpm till about 3 grand it sounds funny and runs rough
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

the smoke comes with a blue tent then goes to just white it last about 5 minutes and now my sparkpugs keep fowling up. at low rpm till about 3 grand it sounds funny and runs rough
Ok... if the smoke is lasting that long.. your oil control rings are shot. Could be a combination of valve seals and rings. Wouldnt hurt to replace both. But unless you can do the work yourself.. most people just opt to swap out the engine for another one at this point.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”