who has the fastest sohc here?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mazdamx3sohc

who has the fastest sohc here?

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

can someone talk to me about it i wanna learn there setup
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

N/A or F/I ??????. The really fast SOHC are the old 8V guys.
Gottagofaster

Post by Gottagofaster »

Limegreen mx-3 is building a fast SOHC....tlak to him
93 mx-3 bp, CAI, msd blaster 2, ngk wires,NGK V-powers(just for limegreen). Pacesetter headers, no cat, cat-back 2.25" piping, autometer lunar A/F gauge, 800w 12" sub w/1600w amp. 3 way pioneer speakers all around
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

well i plan on getting gs injectors, alternator and upgrade my maf and throttle body what kind of hp do you think that will give me?
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Maybe 3-4 assuming the injectors dont cost your more power than that.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Boris

Post by Boris »

gs injectors fit the sohc? I know BP injectors do, but I didn't know about the GS
1993 1.6L SOHC. Mazdaspeed mounts, BP09 ECU, BP VAF, Fidanza miata flywheel, exedy miata pressure plate, centerforce mx3 disc, tokico struts, B&G lowering springs, and some sh***y motomaster tires.
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

its all in the 4cyl faq the interchangability guide
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Boris wrote:gs injectors fit the sohc? I know BP injectors do, but I didn't know about the GS
doubting this statement (gs injectors fit the sohc) Boris ur right WTF.

GS injecters will not fit the sohc fuel rail but the protege LX/GT will plug & play baby.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

mazdamx3sohc wrote:well i plan on getting gs injectors, alternator and upgrade my maf and throttle body what kind of hp do you think that will give me?
GS injectors??? from a V-6? the problem here is that the V-6 injectors are side feed where the B- series engines use a conventional top feed injector.

For your other mods, unless you balance out the flow on the other side of the engine, you will see a slight loss of power on the bottom end with minimal gains on the top end.

The trick to tuning a SOHC is that bigger is not always better and air velocity is the key. Also the stock tuning of this engine and any SOHC in general, is for bottom/ mid rpm torque and not big HP numbers. The cam is like a mechanincal program that tells the engine that it will be a stump pulling tractor motor or a high revving motorsport powerhouse. For the B-6 SOHC Mazda tended to lean toward the tractor side so the OE camshaft grind is going to be performance brickwall.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

mazdamx3sohc wrote:well i plan on getting gs injectors, alternator and upgrade my maf and throttle body what kind of hp do you think that will give me?
Not very much even if u put

90-94 mazda protege LX/GT
injecters
60mm trottle body
Vaf flows a little better than the sohc vaf. why settle for that when u can get the bigger better vaf from a 2nd gen RX-7

2ng gen FC RX-7
VAF

and yes the UDP form the dohc 1.6 mx-3 the aftermarket will fit on the sohc u'll just need to buy 2 new smaller miro belts so that it all fits.

even with these getto mods u still won't get a faster sohc mx-3 fastest i ever got my sohc down the 1/4 mile was a 16.99 4 years ago and i was never able to get that time again. when i put the sohc back on 17.0-17.1 was the best i was able to get.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Gottagofaster wrote:Limegreen mx-3 is building a fast SOHC....tlak to him
well that i am but change of plans iam doing both a sohc and a BP but going boosted on both. i dumped the all motor BP project. my black mx-3 that i was going to use well the frame is jackup so iam getting rid of that and looking for a 92-93 mx-3 so that i can contuine with the turbo sohc projec. for now thats on hold untill i find a body get a 50trim turbo i know its big but am using a standalone and iam not much of a big fan about quick spool iam curius about how much power that sohc can make. i'll get to that in a month.

I but the BP back in my white MX-3 and boosting it with what i posted below using a SC61 turbo tec II all kinds od goodies i should get that boosted by the end of the week and its one a bone stock BP ric@racingmazda made 451whp on a stock BP. the TECII is wired up just need to boost it. i know am doing a crazy setup or at least u guys think i am but am here to make power and am not doing it the cheap way. i'll keep u guys updated on the BP and pic as well.
Boris

Post by Boris »

mazdamx3sohc, if you're interested in making the sohc a little faster you can also put a BP ecu in. it's plug n play, it raises your rev limiter and will give you some more power too. My mx redlines at around 7500 now.

Projectmx3 is selling one: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=55208

Hope this helps. If you need a BP throttle body, I have one I can sell you as well. Shipping wouldn't be too cheap but I can hook you up with a good deal if you're interested.
1993 1.6L SOHC. Mazdaspeed mounts, BP09 ECU, BP VAF, Fidanza miata flywheel, exedy miata pressure plate, centerforce mx3 disc, tokico struts, B&G lowering springs, and some sh***y motomaster tires.
10secSim

Post by 10secSim »

I get about 400 Km on a tank and a 4 DOHC , standard with a cold air intake only
B6 1.6L DOHC, CAI, custom intake mani. with internal velocity stacks, 65mm thottle body, probe 4-2-1 header, custom 2.5" high flow exhaust, Centerforce dual friction, MS2, MSD 6A, Tokico struts, EIBACH springs.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2443642" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
94blaze1.6

Post by 94blaze1.6 »

10secSim wrote:I get about 400 Km on a tank and a 4 DOHC , standard with a cold air intake only
Wrong thread bud
95 RS so far just a paintjob, rims suspension next then turbo...
Image I have turbo dreams and detanation nightmares
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

gs injectors don't fit.
a bigger alternator will = less power.
upgrade MAF and TB will get you still 5hp short of what you lost putting in a bigger alt.

and i still dont understand why everyone upgrades there alt. I am running a carpc, full sterio system (2 amps and a x-over), 1kw power inverter, and a bunch of other power drawing goodies on the stock alt, no problem.

in my optinion you would be better off leaving it alown, or like Yoda said, get a regrind.

You might also gain by retarding cam timing, to bring the torque curve into a more frendly area, i dont know how much you like to rev your engine but i tend to keep it <6k so this is a mod im looking at doing.

Besides that, its just easy to swap a bp. bpt. or b6ze.

- Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”