PC Diagnostics

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Cosmas

PC Diagnostics

Post by Cosmas »

I've been losing sleep over a project I'd really love to dive into. I want to put a PC into my 92' V6 GS. Completely for music and media and everything else unnecessary, but besides that I'd really like for it to output some kind of engine reports. Everything I've found here and online all points to OBDI software that only supports a lot of GM stuff.

There are several OBDI Asian handheld units, but that plus the PC would be too many electronics.. the goal is to centralize.

I'm smart enough not to ask if anyone has or has seen any asian OBDI software.. so does anyone have any other ideas for some kind of engine reporting via a computer system or possibly.. a creative and inventive way of integrating external guages output into the PC itself?

Much abliged in advance.
max kl

Post by max kl »

you want serial data . diagnstic scanners get data from a data network . mazda pre obd2 systems are not networked. the ecm contains the trans & emissons controlers. if you want a computor to monitor & log data you can convert to a obd2 system or probe each data signal at the ecm & find conversion tables to convert 0-5 vdc to real world info.
instal a harnes from a 96 gs & ecm and any obd2 program will give you the data you seek.
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
9.60s n the 8th mile so far 8.50s sprayn now
150 shot
Cosmas

Post by Cosmas »

Wow Awesome thank you.

Now would this entail replacing all the wiring in the car?
max kl

Post by max kl »

not at all the under hood harness for the engine only. all lighting and other stuff will not be affected. ac mat be an issue. where are you located?
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
150 shot
Cosmas

Post by Cosmas »

The fightin Farmers Branch, just neighboring Carrollton
max kl

Post by max kl »

o mk well ther eare no 96 mx3 s in texas. well mabe gray market cars but not enuph for you t find 1. but a 96 n up 626 mx6 or probe will also work very nice.
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

150 shot
max kl

Post by max kl »

your only an hour in traffic from me. we could go salvage yard hoppn in kenadale.
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

150 shot
Cosmas

Post by Cosmas »

Hah. Cool. Well its possible.

Other than the wiring which is a given, is it mostly the ECU itself that needs to be newer (OBDII)? I replaced mine with another 92's from Virginia about a year ago and I kept the old one, there was nothing wrong with it I've just always felt that its something of a good thing to do when you're like me and have about 13 trouble codes...

but.. could it be possible to crack open my spare ECU and splice off the connections and push those out to ... something? like a serial connector? Or is the technology just too old?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

It's not that's it's too old, it's that it's a completely different system, you can't just add that function. As well, I dont see any benefit to converting to OBDII, it's doing to be a headache and cause more problems if you attempt a 2.5L swap in the future.

What would be a more efficient route is to go with a Megasquirt system. It's an expandable and open source engibe management computer. Not only will it let you monitor the cars systems, but also alow you to tune it as well. Pending your electronics experience and confidence, you can build it yourself, buy it pre-built, or go to ProbeTalk and get in on a group buy and get it built and wired into an ECU for easy Plug-N-Play into your stock harness. That's probably the much better way to go.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I got for megasquirt too :D its NICE! ive seen it. I want that SO SO bad.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Get a megasquirt...
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Custommx3 wrote:Get a megasquirt...
:werd: ditto

My CarPC system;
LV675X | PM 1.5GHz | 1GB DDR | 100GB HDD | Radeon 9250 |WIFI | BU353 |
RadioShark | mp3car Transflective | DSATX | CD/DVD-RW | RR | Win XP
ICBM5.1 | MBQ 6.5 Comp's F&R | MBQ 2x 3.5" Center | JL 10" x2
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Some info and research material for those with OBD II;
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdi ... 9e5f8&f=37
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”