K8 ECU

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
KA3AX

K8 ECU

Post by KA3AX »

Hey to all!

Can I buy a chip for the KLZE and put it in my 1.8 V6 ECU, will it make the trick? Or do I have to buy a KLDE ECU and then chip that one? I mean the big difference is (my guess) in the chip, right? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

yes Probinator can chip K8 ecu's But you need to pull it open and send him the number on the eprom in yours. Not all k8 ecu's can be chipped...I believe its the 92 ones only taht cannot be done.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
KA3AX

Post by KA3AX »

So on the door jam sticker of my mx-3 the year is 1991, does that mean I can chip the ecu? Or you are talking about 93-up you can chip?

Thanks
jimbotj

Post by jimbotj »

Here's what I've found on my '93, so be careful before buying. You can e-mail Probinator and give him your ECU and EPROM numbers, and he'll let you know if it can be chipped. He's great to work with and helped me figure out my mistake.

On mine, my original K801 ECU has the following number:

079700-4231. It has 4 screws mounting the main board to the frame. The EPROM is 079753-2061

I fried it, and got a replacement at the junkyard, but it's the older ECU, which has the following numbers:

079700-345x and EPROM: 079753-1653 (six screws to mount main board)

This second one cannot be chipped!!!

Obviously, your '91 may be different yet, but just be very thorough in getting your numbers documented and, hopefully, he can chip yours. Definitely confirm before you buy.

If someone is reading this, and has the K801 ECU that I need, please e-mail me. I don't have 30 posts yet, so I can't reply to anybody in the for sale forum yet.
'93 MX-3 KLZE w/MS8 IM, underdrive pulley, Thermoblok spacers, CAI. ATX
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I think older ecus like 92.. he cant chip. I got a klde ecu and kl01 vaf. If u check my dyno, it made a very nice power curve.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I think older ecus like 92.. he cant chip. I got a klde ecu and kl01 vaf. If u check my dyno, it made a very nice power curve.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”