The difference between a DE and a ZE? PICS ADDED!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Kenzie

The difference between a DE and a ZE? PICS ADDED!

Post by Kenzie »

I'm sure this has been covered before on the board but I'm having trouble pinning down a thread with all the info I need.
Here's the deal, we recently purchased a MX-6 LS from a kid here in AR. He blew the engine at 100k so he purchased a new engine from eBay. In the beginning he told us that the engine came with a ZE IM but it was truely the DE that belonged in the car. Then a month later, when we came back to pick up the car, he said he looked into it more and he's thinking he actually did purchase a entire ZE for the swap.
When we bought the car he said the starter was bad. Not true, it just had a bad ground. (Retard sold us a perfecly fine MX-6 for $800!)
He let the car sit for over a year without being started and unfortunatly when we did finally get it to turn over it was frozen up so badly that we're afraid it's beyond repair.

Now, my question is...
1) How the hell do I tell if this is infact a ZE.
2) If it is infact a ZE do you guys have any advice on rebuilding?

Sorry for the long story but I like to get all the facts out there before I ask a question.

Thanks in advance!
Kenzie
Last edited by Kenzie on December 5th, 2006, 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
::'94 MX-3 GS::KLZE::
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

easiest way to tell if its a ZE is to look between the intake runners on the heads. If the numbers say KL31 1A1 and KL31 101 its a ZE. Otherwise you'd see KL01 101 and KL01 1A1.
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

another way is to pull the spark plugs, and check the top of the pistons.
if they are cupped, it's a DE, if they're flat, it's a ZE.

as for rebuilding, depends what's dead about it, which u might not find out till u pull it apart. but for seals and stuff, pick up a rebuild kit for a MX-6 or millenia and it should have most of the stuff
Kenzie

Post by Kenzie »

Thanks guys! I'll check it out tonight.

My '94 GS may be getting a ZE after all :twisted:
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

FYI, if you let a car sit for some time you should put WD40 or some oil down the spark plug holes so that it can lube the piston rings from the top before it is cranked. It will usually save the motor. Maybe to late now, but thought you might need to know. As for rebuilding a ZE it would costmore than a buying another used ZE. Most all of the parts could be bought for a DE, with the exception of the larger metal parts like the pistons, valves and such. You can use DE rods, crank, rings, Millinea seals etc.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

If rebuilding.. or just for peace of mind.. replace the valve keepers on the ZE with valve keepers from a DE. The DE Valve keepers are thicker and more resilient than the ZE ones. There have been more than a few ZE's that have dropped valves due to broken valve keepers.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Kenzie

Post by Kenzie »

We've finally found time to start on the MX-6 and here's a few pics I took today.

I still can't tell if it's a ZE or a DE. As you can see on one side of the runners it says KL-101 and the other side says KL-1A1. :? Am I looking in the wrong spot?
I guess we'll know for sure next Mon-Tue when we get the engine completly out and torn apart but I'd really like to know now so I can start planning which engine will go back in.

The ZE IM:
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Thats a DE man with a ZE manifold

like people posted earlier a DE will say kl101 and kl1a1 while a ze will be kl31 101 and kl31 1a1..the ze will also have square ports just like that manifold does.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

yeah its a de.. didnt u see the ROUND runners? LOL still a good engine tho.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Definitlya good engine for sure. A DE witha ze manifold would be quite quick. imop the ze manifold is best thing about the ze engine. Although to get the full benefit from it you need the heads. Also looks like this engine had the themo spacers. Those are supposed to work really well!
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

mx3autozam wrote:Definitlya good engine for sure. A DE witha ze manifold would be quite quick. imop the ze manifold is best thing about the ze engine. Although to get the full benefit from it you need the heads. Also looks like this engine had the themo spacers. Those are supposed to work really well!
how can u tell it has the spacers, i just see gasket.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

mx3autozam wrote:Thats a DE man with a ZE manifold

like people posted earlier a DE will say kl101 and kl1a1 while a ze will be kl31 101 and kl31 1a1..the ze will also have square ports just like that manifold does.
but if what you say is true then what is the code that would be marked on a curv neck ze....kl31 101 would be a kl31 cammed ze STRAIGHT neck....im not saying that block is a ZE because its abvously not because it has round runners ....so i agree with you on that but what would be the numbers on a non kl-31 cammed ZE
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
14.8 1/4 mile all motor untimed on boost.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

a curved neck ze will ahve kl31 on the heads and kl47 on the manifold and kl68 on the throtle body and should ahve kl01 cams :wink:
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Kenzie

Post by Kenzie »

Haha...thanks guys! I figured it was a DE but when we recently spoke to the kid we bought it from he couldn't remember.
It does have Thermal Spacers, Pacesetter headers, and 3" exhaust. (See sig)
This car isn't going to be a track car or anything...just another daily driver. I was just hoping it was a ZE so I could put it in my '94 GS! Oh well, I guess I'll go with the Supercharger set up after all!

Thanks again!
Kenzie

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”