OBD

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Boris

OBD

Post by Boris »

I have the 96 1.6L... I tried searching for this but didn't find out if the 96's had OBDI or II. From what I understand, the US models had OBDII, and the canadian models had 1. Is there any way I can check this? Also, what are the main differences between OBDI and 2?? So confused.
1993 1.6L SOHC. Mazdaspeed mounts, BP09 ECU, BP VAF, Fidanza miata flywheel, exedy miata pressure plate, centerforce mx3 disc, tokico struts, B&G lowering springs, and some sh***y motomaster tires.
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

There is a night and day diffrence between obdI and II. Enough so that it would be rather numbing to give you all the details. II is way more advanced, complex, and more aware of the car.

If its a US model its obdII. I know jack s--- about canadain ones.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

easy, how many 02 sensors do you have on the car. and how many wires are comming out of them?
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Only cars manufactures for sale in North America after Jan 01, 1996 are OBDII It doesn't matter whether is sold in Canada or the US. Technically only the Canada '96 model is a true OBDII MX-3. To confuse the issue it appears that Mazda used the '94-95 MX-3 to beta test the ODBII equipment to work out the bugs before having to install it in all there '96 models.
Boris

Post by Boris »

Ok does this mean that I wouldn't be able to plug and play a 96 engine with an older wiring harness? I'm still planning on trying to use my sohc harness with the 1.6L dohc but I don't know if this will complicate that. Good thing I have all winter to purchase and figure out everything for my upcoming turbo setup.... bah i hate being confused...
1993 1.6L SOHC. Mazdaspeed mounts, BP09 ECU, BP VAF, Fidanza miata flywheel, exedy miata pressure plate, centerforce mx3 disc, tokico struts, B&G lowering springs, and some sh***y motomaster tires.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

No it wouldn't be PnP. You will probably need to do some cutting and splicing the 2 harness together You will have to decide which ECU you will use and adapt the sensors and harness to it.
Boris

Post by Boris »

Well I'm using a BP ecu, VAF and distributor. According to Josh, that would pretty much be plug and play with the older model 1.6L dohc motors, so I was hoping it would be pretty easy with this one too...

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”