I think my clutch is starting to go

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mazdamx3sohc

I think my clutch is starting to go

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

id be driving and resting my foot slightly on the clutch and itd start to let go im not sure if its cuz im tall or not, but i push the clutch in maybe a few inches and it starts to let go. or when im starting to drive, it doesnt catch until a few inches before its totally let off.
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

It's on it's way out when you can gas it in fourth and not go anywhere.
lycanthrope

Post by lycanthrope »

resting my foot slightly on the clutch
if you look down by the clutch pedal, to the left, there's a spot to rest your foot, unlike the cars of yesteryear, i.e. spring powered clutch mechanisms, our cars have hydraulic mechanisms in place to make the task of pressing the clutch, very easy on our legs muscles, gone are the days were you have to stand on your brakes to get them to stop (i used to drive my dad's 69 chevy truck), what i'm getting at is that if you 'rest' your foot on the clutch, there's a slight chance that you are dis-engaging it, causing it to slip in the process, logically, you wear it down prematurely without even noticing it, cause there's a chance that it's "slipping/wearing" the whole time you are driving it...
93MX3-B6ME, homegrown matching on my intake and head, HiFlow-Cat > 2.25" > no res. > Truck Muffler from Meineke (a.k.a. Mexican Flowmaster), 4 wheels with accompanying tires...<br>Image
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

yeah, its called a dead pedal, the thing your talking about, i just like resting on the clutch a little bit, not on it if i can help it but with my foot over it. i got an EZ stage 1 clutch, ive never heard of it before but i hope its good.
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

resting ur foot on the clutch or even slightly over, will wear it out faster. just put ur foot on the dead pedal- as it wouldnt be there if u werent supposed to use it. basically its there for a reason. if ur clutch engages when the pedal is almost all the way up, then its worn or just about worn out.
dohc b6, intake, exhaust, miata cams ready to go in
CalgaryMx-3Guy

Post by CalgaryMx-3Guy »

I have the same problem and my mechanic told me that my clutch is starting to wear and he recommends I change it. It's probably the same for you.
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

i shall get some prices then some day soon, i got the clutch already, anyone ever heard of EZ clutch stage 1?
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I've been trying to do some erm.... how do I say this... "sport acceleration"

Every time I high rev it on a stop and "let 'er rip" it erm... stays on the high revs, but really doesn't go anywheres. :(
I drop the accelerator, and it finally grabs, but it doesn't "umph" its way from a stop, not even to spins the tires's's
I don't care if it's my clutch going bad, or just the OEM isn't strong enough to pull, I would like to get a recommendation of what I should go for in a upgrade/replacement.
I'm terrible with brands, I don't want to end up with a crappy replacement, so excuse me while I try and recycle a thread here, please head me in the right direction so I can calculate a budget for this issue. Thanks :D

SuperK
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

If your car is stock just go with any new clutch. No reason to spend hundreds of dollars on a performance clutch for an 88hp car.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

i just put a new stock clutch in my mx3 and after properlly breaking it in it hasnt slipped in 8000kms with dropping the clutch to launch. and grabbing second hard so i would go with a stock one if ur car isnt heavily modded.
dohc b6, intake, exhaust, miata cams ready to go in
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Well, yes, I can understand that if I keep my cute and tamed little 1.6L I really have no use for a performance clutch

I will, however be swapping in the future. I don't see why it's a bad idea to get a performance clutch now, instead of buying a stock clutch, then just take it out down the road when I do the swap... it'd save me money in the long run.

I want to keep my tranny with the swap for the closer gear ratios, so it's a good idea, no? Pimp my clutch now for later? Or is it not :(
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

hey this is my thread, i would go with a stage 1 clutch at least because if you go stock you will break it again if your gunna be doing even light racing id go with stage 1, as for brands look for act™ or centerforce™ staying stock is a stupid bad idea if your going to be trying to rev it up and let out the clutch to spin them. and dont let anyone intimidate you the "88 hp" mx3 is an awesome starter car even if you stay with the 88 hp motor. racingmazda last time i check was up to 315 hp to the wheels so its got potential so yea get a good clutch. anyone ever heard of an EZ clutch? (thats the brand)

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”