rad problem

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
strata g

rad problem

Post by strata g »

i have an mx3 and the rad was blown a few months back, i lost my job so i took her off the road for a bit, but im gonna get her back on the streets, im just wondering if i should get a new rad or not...
this is what the rad problem is, one day i was drivin and steam was comin from the hood, i pulled over, let it cool off, when i got it home i took out the rad and came to realize that when i took off the left rad hose, the connecter underneathe somewhat disintegrated, but not to the extent of needing a new rad, but somehow it still leaks, i cant find a crack anywhere but there is a black gunge ring on the front of the rad about the size of my foot on the left side, any thoughts of y it could still be leaking??
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I'd replace it.. but you could always take it to a radiator shop and have it pressure tested. That will reveal any leaks and their location. Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
max kl

Post by max kl »

ya junk it and hoses that way cheper than a motor
overheating is terminal! :shock:
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
9.60s n the 8th mile so far 8.50s sprayn now
150 shot
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

radiatorworkd.com has an all copper one for 130 dllrs shipped! lifetime warranty yo !
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
strata g

Post by strata g »

ok, i found where my leak was, its a small leak on bottom left side, doesnt leak to much, but heres my new problem, i put my rad in, and turned the car in, but i dunno why it won bring rad fluid into rad and it over heats if i let it idle, any tips or thoughts would be appreciated ty
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

rad could have blockage in it. or crud in it somewhere, you already did a radiator flush right? how do the water pump, thermostat check out?
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
max kl

Post by max kl »

what do you mean it wont bring water to rad?

and overheating at idle only can be from low coolant flow like a cloged rad
or croded water pump impeller

did car sit for a whole with just water in it ?
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
150 shot
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

exactly, the engine is not getting the right amount of coolant flow to it in essence it starts to overheat. our saturn overheats only at idle and its only sometimes most likely from a cloged rad
strata g

Post by strata g »

im not that good with cars but i know a little, i dont know what u mean by how does the themostat check out, but all i know is the rad is junk there is crud on the front and all over the passenger side fan, when i run the car there isnt as much pressure in the hose, and for some reason the fans only come on when i put the ac on and not when it starts to overheat... :S
max kl

Post by max kl »

Bumpysbro wrote:exactly, the engine is not getting the right amount of coolant flow to it in essence it starts to overheat. our saturn overheats only at idle and its only sometimes most likely from a cloged rad
your saturn may need a engine temp sensor .i have seen that problem to often. all 3 of my sl2s had that same prob
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

150 shot
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

ahh ya, well i thought my dad replaced his about a year ago but it was the 02 sensor. ill check into that and see what we get. before the rad fan wouldnt turn on the relay was jacked and it still does it but ya i bet your right.
max kl

Post by max kl »

any news?
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

150 shot

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”