i think my timing went out

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
BornSticky

i think my timing went out

Post by BornSticky »

around august i noticed i had lost about 50 km per tank of gas if not more. then i noticed when going up a hill my valves start to tap or so i believe is the sound (almost like rocks rolled in a jar) but yeah it could be from the trip to california, it was a lot of km's at once but it ran perfect the whole way. Im not really sure on how to alter the timing any tips would help.
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

Its hard to say what is causing yoru problems, but just to ease some of your worry, the noise you are hearing is not your valves tapping the pistons. All k serios motors are non interference. I woudl start by checking the simple things. Spark plugs, plug wires, air filter, fuel filter, distributor cap and rotor.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Pinging most of the time is basical,ly the car is detonating, timing MAY be off. My maxima does that so i stopped driving it until i change her timing belt. Since in nissan you can compesnate by moving disty its sorta driveable but i dewcided to play it safe. Cpu in mx3 compensates for so much before it stops doing it. Could of course be ign problems. Do a tune up. When was the last time timing belt was done?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
BornSticky

Post by BornSticky »

they told me they just replaced the timing belt b4 i bought it just over a year ago but people lie. I will check the disty and clean it inside see if i can mess with it a bit to get it better
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”