Various Car Times/Power?

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Various Car Times/Power?

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

I'm just curious as to what different types of cars are capable of. My neighbor has an old Monte Carlo that he restored and is currently running low 12's with at around 460hp naturally aspirated. Supposedly, the highest anyone else could tune that car with no turbo or NOS was 430hp.
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
2.5mazda

Post by 2.5mazda »

hmmmm, that is odd..... I know a 17 year old kid that has a 72' Nova SS with a big block, Of course its built, but it runs 10.03 on street tires and 110 octane. This car also has no blower or juice, just on motor.

I also know a local guy who has a 10 second lancer EVO.

I had a Honda that ran 13's with a 50 shot and a stock B16.
mzdamx3rsdohc

Post by mzdamx3rsdohc »

my buddy ran a 12.1 in his 90 civic si stock b16 at 13psi of boost making 314whp, dyno tuned by splitfire in t.o.
dohc b6, intake, exhaust, miata cams ready to go in
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

The guy that taught me how to build engines has a NA 454 he built back in the mid 80's and it makes 1120HP all motor...pulls 7's in the 1/4mile :wink:

My daily driven MX-3 makes upwards of 500HP on pump gas :wink:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

getti ng to the gas.. you use reg?? higher octane? what gives you better times?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

I use 93 octane Premium Pump gas. The higher the octane content, the more power you can tune out of the car...as long as your fuel system has the capacity. With higher octane you can run more agressive timing maps creating a higher volumetric efficency which allows you to add more fuel. What makes power is the amount of fuel you can burn. High octane fuels burn slower giving a more controlled flame front speed. This makes the most difference in boosted cars where the cyl. pressure becomes absurdly high. Methanol for example you need TWICE the fuel for the same amount of power as pump gas. Methanol burns at a stoich ratio of 6.4:1 AFR vs. pump gas at 14.68:1 AFR. Thats why methanol injection works so well. It is extremely high octane and when mixed with pump gas via a methanol injection kit it raises the octane rating really high suppressing detination.

Boosted engines on pump gas (93 octane) should be tuned to around 12.0:1 AFR at peak torque gradually lean out to 12.5:1 AFR at peak HP. For an all out race car it can run 12.5:1 AFR at peak torque and lean to 13:1 AFR at peak HP. This is really pushing the envolope with a forced induction engine and is usually only done by people with lots of money to back their car as it only takes a slight knock to destroy the engine at that AFR. Any AFRs richer than the above mentioned are only needed for addition cyl cooling to lower EGTs. EGTs are a critical measurement most people fail to ignore and they should be used with the AFRs for optimal, reliable power. An EGT gauge will alert you to detination and also give you an early warning BEFORE you melt your engine down.

My car for example runs 15-16:1 AFR and around 900*F EGTs cruising down the interstate for increased fuel milage. At WOT I run 12:1 AFR at peak torque and have leaned to 12.8:1 AFR with pump gas @ 26psi of boost and no detination with EGTs no higher than 1400*F. My turbine is Inconnel and can take short blasts (drag racing) of sustained 1600*F with no turbine damage. The combustion chamber design and compression ratio play a HUGE roll in how well the engine supresses detination. Turbo cyl. heads have a very large quench area between the cyl. wall and the valves keeping surface temps more even. The smoothness of the combustion chamber plays a huge roll as well because imperfections in surface finish can result in hot spots. Hot spots are what cause detination and is where holes tend to burn through pistons for example...on leaned out nitrous engines.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”