5w30 vs. 10w30 oil

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
lv2xlr8

5w30 vs. 10w30 oil

Post by lv2xlr8 »

This is a rumor that I heard and was hoping someone can shed some light on it.

The rumor is that at higher rpms 5w30 oil will lubricate better than 10w30.

I don't know anything about oil viscosity, so if anyone knows anything about this, i would appreciate the insight before I go putting 5w30 in my car. Thanks
94 MX-3 1.6L DOHC 5sp, corksport shifter, crappy intake and muffler
01 SS Camaro, full flowmaster exhaust and hurst shifter
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

well 10w30 is thicker then 5w30........ i believe that 10w30 would lubricate better since it is thicker then 5w30....
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Oil Viscosity is very important depending on weather temperatures.

The most wear to your engine happens during startup.
Oil has wax impurities that coagulate in colder weather. If you're up north where it's >freaking cold< a thinner oil viscosity is highly recommended to protect and lube your engine, especially during startup. but on the flipside, a thinner viscosity doesn't have as high of a temperature protection compared to a thicker VI.

Check the viscosity to compare the temperature ranges, and depending on where you use your car, and at what times, you should be able to choose the best oil for your car.

Here in the south, I won't touch anything other than 10w30.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”