V6 - Transmission

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Steve_SK

V6 - Transmission

Post by Steve_SK »

I bought used MX3 with V6 1.8 engine and 5-speed manual transmission. And this is problem, transmission is almost dead and I have almost brand new (21k km) transmission, but from KL engine, which has different differential. I'd like to ask if it is possible to swap differential from K8 transmission to KL transmission. The rest is the same, incl. gear ratios. Thank you very much!
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

If it's a Euro spec V6 transmission, it should be a direct fit. Only certain Jap spec LSD models have issues with direct fitament because of different spline count. Those would require custom made axles.
Steve_SK

Post by Steve_SK »

Yes, both transmissions are from EU models (626 GE and MX3). Cars for Europe are made in Japan, but I hope this is not a problem. I have asked some MX3 owners and I was told the transmissions from K8, KF and KL engines are the same outside, just different inside. So tranny from KL would fit K8 or KF without any problem.

I am more than happy to hear the differential from K8 tranny will fit KL tranny. Perfect. When it is done, I will post some pictures here. ;-)

Thank you!
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

the kl transmission it will bolt right in. im pretty sure u dont need to change the diff.
max kl

Post by max kl »

yea kl trans will bolt in not fitment issues i prefer the trans i run 1 with my kl swap

u will experince beter gas milage but less acceleration w/k8 w/kl accel is great but w/less wheel spin
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
9.60s n the 8th mile so far 8.50s sprayn now
150 shot
Steve_SK

Post by Steve_SK »

Max kl, what would you do? Put KL transmission with KL differential or put KL transmission with K8 differential? :) I am happy transmission will fit K8 engine. I've just replaced valve cover gasket, I am going to wash the engine tomorrow and check radiator for leakage.
max kl

Post by max kl »

i would swap a kl motor & trans
my 1.8 ran great but the swap made the car realy fun to drive without effecting realibillty & still got great millage

but ill understand if your not ready for that yet. if you keep the k8 & use the kl trans it will make the car a bit sluggish off the line. i try to avoid opening
any transaxles . so i would shy away from swapping differntals.

also the diff usses 2 gears the ring gear is the big 1 that easy to get to once the trans is cracked open, the pinnion gear however is on the jack shaft with the other forward gears .
you would ither have to use all the old gears or have the gears pressed off the shaft.

thats the long way to say dont swap any gears at all just install thr kl trans and enjoy better milage and a quieter car.
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

93 gs, klde swap, kl trans, strait 2.5'' ehaust, euro front bumper, cold air intake, hei ign ,50 shot &
150 shot
Steve_SK

Post by Steve_SK »

Last question and I will not bother you with more.. :wink:

Will or will not my engine suffer from different transmission with 'longer' final ratio gear? I am used not to drive sporty and I'd like my engine and tranny last as long as possible. Thank you!
max kl

Post by max kl »

the trans wont be harder on your engine . the engine will live as long as you alow it to by your driving and matence habbets.
this will chane the engine load as much as changing tire sizes. like goin from a 195 50 15 to a 205 55 15
JUDGE ME ALL YOU WANT

150 shot
Steve_SK

Post by Steve_SK »

Great! Thank you very much for all information, I will let you know when I swap the transmission and I will post some pictures as well. :) It is perfect to be a member of MX-3.com and meet professionals here.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”