Engine Oil keeps Vanishing!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
illapino

Post by illapino »

thought i should let you know that i went back to the shop and got the negative of my battery "reset". no more random engine light. thanks!
illapino

Post by illapino »

umm, scratch that.
it just came on today suddenly for 10 seconds and went off again ...
wtf is going on.
precidian

Post by precidian »

did you check the ecu to see if there are any codes?
Tom S. - '94 MX-3 GS-X Sparkle Green

I say, Ahmed. What is that thing you do when you're about to assassinate an infidel?
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

Have a search, somewhere in here there will be writeup on CEL codes and how to obtain them. I think the online manual may have them??
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
illapino

Post by illapino »

hey i see that you have two cars
what is that like owning more than one vehicle?
do you switch it up to go to work depending on your mood?
mazda on tuesday, nissan on wednesday?
coz i for sure would be upgrading to a nastier whip when i get paid more someday,
but at the same time i wanna keep the precidia in its own garage for show

:)

how does it feel
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

lol, i wouldn't know, it's rare for them both to be going!
The Z is a long term project car, the engine, gearbox, and suspension are finished, now it's just the interior, paint, and some kinda sound system to go, it's just coming into summer now, so i might sneak it out now and then :lol:
I love my Presso, i've had it for a while now, spent waaay too much money keeping it going, i really should sell it, but.... :roll:

The Mazda is great for what it is, but the Z is seriously fast, if you're planning to upgrade in the future, i'd advise you to reconsider the ZE-swap, that money could go towards your new, faster car...., just my 2c tho
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
illapino

Post by illapino »

as you know, my engine light has been coming on sometimes after i got my engine bay spray-washed a month ago.
for $20.97 CDN, Mazda has retrieved the code:
does this mean i replace O2 sensors and EGRs ? What's the next step to exterminate the engine light for good?
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

That was a waste of 20 bucks to have mazda check your codes. You only need a paper clip to check them yourself. Check the v6 faq, it will tell you what each code means.
illapino

Post by illapino »

wow. good answer.
anyone else wanna try?
Mazda has retrieved code: 24
does this mean i replace O2 sensors and EGRs ? What's the next step to exterminate the engine light for good?
lycanthrope

Post by lycanthrope »

heh heh, the O2 sensors can give intermittent cel's like that, a few years back, mine would only do it on the highways at certain speeds a few seconds at a time, when's the last time you changed it/them?

drove through some standing water once and ended up with a few drops of water in my dist cap from the dist cap gasket being cracked, very very poor performance, no cels though, remove the dist cap and blowout with compressed air...
93MX3-B6ME, homegrown matching on my intake and head, HiFlow-Cat > 2.25" > no res. > Truck Muffler from Meineke (a.k.a. Mexican Flowmaster), 4 wheels with accompanying tires...<br>Image
illapino

Post by illapino »

Well it's been four weeks since my engine was washed (and spray-dried) so i doubt any water is on O2 sensors. I'm sure they are stock ones on my '92 ... so do i just replace them ... Code 25 isn't even O2s is it? Codes 22 - 23 around there i thought were O2s ... How do I fix Code 25
lycanthrope

Post by lycanthrope »

I wasn't implying that the sensors had suffered any water damage, just the sole fact that they can give the intermittent cel's that come and go as you are driving...

The point i was making on the water issue was strickly for your distributor/distributor cap and their well-being, any water or moisture in there can cause it to act really funny.

Regardless of what code your ecu is giving you, for the love of mike, change your O2 sensors, as they are one of the contributing variables to air/fuel mixture calculations...

from another post of mine:
O2 sensors? I go by the sign at the parts store that tells me to change it [Change your O2 Sensor every 60,000 miles, blah blah blah, etc, etc...]
i do it every year, just because now...
It's good practice, besides, you get a new tool to add to your collection to change em out... (don't worry it's inexpensive, but damn near necessary to remove and install without damaging your new sensors)
93MX3-B6ME, homegrown matching on my intake and head, HiFlow-Cat > 2.25" > no res. > Truck Muffler from Meineke (a.k.a. Mexican Flowmaster), 4 wheels with accompanying tires...<br>Image
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

[quote="illapino"]wow. good answer.
anyone else wanna try?

[quote]

Were you referring to my reply here?

I dont see whats wrong with telling you to check the faq, your answers are there. The whole point of that section is so people would use it and not post the same questions over and over again.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

OMG i cant believe you payed mazda to read the codes.. itnonly take slike hm 3 minutes and a paperclip.. yeah replace o2..
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Yoda

Re: Engine Oil keeps Vanishing!

Post by Yoda »

What do your sparkplug look like? The valve guides and stem seals on the K series engines are know to leaking especially on the exhaust side. They leak only under pressure and don't leak enough into the combustion chamber before the ignition stroke so doesn't usually burn blue. The oil gets gets broken down in the Cat and becomes a thick black soot. The biggest problem with this is that the cat matrix slowly becomes blocked up and the plugs become fouled. The tips of the plugs will tell you a lot about when is going on is side your engine.
illapino wrote:I check it in the morning so it is proven.
My engine oil keeps vanishing, i have no clue where.
Someone throttled it once and no oil came out the muffler
so he deduced that i wasn't losing oil.

well it is proven.
i fill it on day 1 with 10W30 all the way to Full.
and by day 4 it is just above Low.
So if I'm losing oil, where the heck is it going?
nothing dripping from the bottom of the car.
my head gaskets need to be replaced, but no fresh oil seeps out of them

any thoughts?
better yet, solutions to stop me from spending $7 on oil every week?

(there is a drastic performance loss noticeable when the oil gets low.
when it's full, my v6 has devilish bottom-end torque, but not so when low.
just for ur info)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”