white94mx3

Alt. Question

Post by white94mx3 »

Will at V6 Alternator work on the I4?
1994 Mazda MX-3 RS (Project RS-T)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Yes.. you may need a longer bolt though.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
white94mx3

Post by white94mx3 »

Awesome! thanks man!
1994 Mazda MX-3 RS (Project RS-T)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

No sweat. You can also use a Millenia Alternator from a 95-96 Millenia. The V6 GS alternator will give you a power boost from 70amps to 90amps.. the Millenia Alternator will give you 110 amps. I will be doing a write up on how to wire in the Millenia Alternator (it has a extra wire and you need to get a plug for it) The write up should be done this weekend. Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I look forward to the write-up! Mind including your recommended grounding methods for the alt. while you're at it? I've been wanting to know how the community did theirs, as I haven't found much information on it. Wanna do it right the first time!
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
lv2xlr8

Post by lv2xlr8 »

I have always wondered. What do you gain from installing a higher amp alt?
94 MX-3 1.6L DOHC 5sp, corksport shifter, crappy intake and muffler
01 SS Camaro, full flowmaster exhaust and hurst shifter
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Tunes I'm very interested in the millenia alternator swap for my 1.6L '95

I would have liked to replied on your FS thread about the wiring harness, but I'm still to much of a n00b to be allowed to, because I'm definitely interested in purchasing one from you :D
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I have always wondered. What do you gain from installing a higher amp alt?
Quite simple really. More power. The charging systems of the MX-3 run Mitsushitsi alternators that were rated with very little extra power. Over time the resistance of the MX-3 wiring harness increases. This is normal.. it happens to every car. Most cars are designed with alternators that allow "wiggle" room.. the MX-3 didnt for some reason. Though I suspect this is really only a problem because of the inferior Mitsushitsi alternators (yes I am big time biased against anything and everything DSM LOL) So things like you head lights dimming when you hit the brakes arent as noticable.. you have extra power if you want to run a more powerful stereo system. Your idle wont stumble when your AC fan kicks on. To make matters worse.. it would appear that our distributors, cap & rotor are also Mitsushitsi designed & produced. This would also explain why they die all the time. Kinda funny eh? The 3 biggest complaints and problems the MX-3 suffers, poor charging system & weak ignition systems, and problematic rear calipers (GS only) are all things produced for Mazda by Mitsushitsi.

Anyway.. I digress.. Upgrading your alternator will give you more power to offset the increased need over time and if you want to add higher power stereo equipment.

SuperK: I can get you a alternator plug for $17 shipped. But please make a donation to MX-3.com at some point before ordering. We as a community need to support this site so that its around for a long time :)

Tunes67

Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

One thing.. when I do this write up this weekend.. it will be installing this into my GS. The same procedure will work fine on the RS though. There is only one additional wire. I still need to check my brackets though to make sure I have the right one. I have seen a few people say they had to use the millenia alternator bracket.. but just looking at the two alternators side by side.. I cant see why the stock bracket wouldnt work. So I will be trying it to see. But this is all GS related. I am not installing a Millenia Alternator into a RS. However.. If the GS Alternator will fit into the RS (and this is documented that it will without any problems) then the Millenia alternator should bolt in with no issues as well (assuming it bolts into my GS without any issues) LOL

Tunes67

Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Ok.. not sure about the bracket in the RS.. but likely you will need the millenia alternator bracket. I was able to mod my GS Alt bracket and make it work. Looks like it will be one more weekend before I can finish this though.. my power distribution block and 4 gauge wire didnt come in yesterday or today.. so it will be here monday.. And Pat.. if your reading this.. we finally got the battery cable ran and I did get pics. But there will be a small twist when you see the pics.. You wont believe where we are mounting the battery LOL Cheers

Tunes67

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”