Tick knock

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Gottagofaster

Tick knock

Post by Gottagofaster »

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... =mx3&hl=en
my car is making a noise just like this.....any ideas?
Thanks
94blaze1.6

Post by 94blaze1.6 »

That's not healthy...mine ticks a bit if I dont start it a few days but then goes away.
95 RS so far just a paintjob, rims suspension next then turbo...
Image I have turbo dreams and detanation nightmares
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

mine does the same thing but at random times. whats your oil level like? most likely the hla's ticking, mine would go away if i drive it and then stop and start it again. they make a solution that supposed to stop the ticking but i dont know for sure. it doesnt affect performance right?
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

its sounds like mazda infamus lifters. lifters that when bad
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Gottagofaster

hmm

Post by Gottagofaster »

ok well I think it is my lifters, i took off my valve cover and I can wobble 3 of my lifters....How expensive is this to fix? and where do i buy the parts?
Thanks
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

hmm, well depends on how much will you have to do it. gotta take the cams off, then you can use a magnet to pull each lifter out. i dont know if you need new ones or not but you can try either rockauto.com or drivewire.com might sell them. dont go through prostreetonline.com i had a bad experience with them.

on the online shop manual you can read up on pagesB1-46 for the disassembly of your cams and HLA's. And B1-82 for the install of them. hope that helps. if you think its too big of a job you can take it into a shop and they can quote you.
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
SpikeDerailed

Post by SpikeDerailed »

I hope like hell it is your lifters! Because of the quality of video I cant tell for sure, but that half sounds to deep to be a HLA, it souns more like a rod knock.
RbluE_MX-6

Post by RbluE_MX-6 »

SpikeDerailed wrote:I hope like hell it is your lifters! Because of the quality of video I cant tell for sure, but that half sounds to deep to be a HLA, it souns more like a rod knock.

Oh believe me, Ive heard what "rod knock" sounds like. That does not come close to it. Its definately the HLA's.
88 Mx-6 GT FE-DOHC rebuilt

Too much to list...
reprobation

Post by reprobation »

I'd say lifters as well..

Way too pingy to be rods.

-Chris
1994 RS DOHC, Modified Cold Air Intake, Clear Corners all around, Black Altezza Tail lights. Blue cold cathodes in driver / passenger foot areas. Lowerd on Evotion Springs (1.75 drop F/R) with KYB GR2 struts. Sitting on 17x7 (40 mm offset) 5 Spoke rims with KUHMO 205/40/R17 Tires.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/807557
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

yor low on oil mine makes that noise if i don't check the level from time to time go and get your self a can of engine restore and fill your oil level up with that it will also improve your gas milage at the same time worked great for me and i don't get the noise anymore

Reaper
Greg
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”