Injectors required for a k8t to run 6-7 psi

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
andy

Post by andy »

Yes I am using the stock ecu. stock 02 sensors. I'm still using the VAF.
stock fpr,stock fuel pump,stock IAT,
I went with 1 step colder plugs, At first I gapped them to .035" but beyond 6-7psi I would get spark blowout. they have worked great since regapping them to .031-.032". I have run nothing less than super unleaded gas (93 oct).
My stock pcv valve is still hooked up. I have the front valve cover breather plugged and I have the back valve cover vented to the atmoshpere. I have not had any problems with oil leaks from blowby this way.
Pre turbo gas mileage was 28-30 mpg, Now I get 25 mpg.
My intake is not the stock K8 intake. I have a 2.5L millenia curved neck
intake with a 60mm bored out TB. vris tied open. Match ported phenolic spacers.
My egr is there but plugged. No cat on a 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust into a dynomax muffler.
I have an external wastegate dumping to the atmoshpere that I put a
small lawmower muffler on to quiet things down.
Other than the intercooler the car looks stock.

Send my your e-mail and I can send some picts of the setup.

Andy P. 93 GS 1.8T
30xadelaide

Post by 30xadelaide »

andy wrote:Yes I am using the stock ecu. stock 02 sensors. I'm still using the VAF.
stock fpr,stock fuel pump,stock IAT,
I went with 1 step colder plugs, At first I gapped them to .035" but beyond 6-7psi I would get spark blowout. they have worked great since regapping them to .031-.032". I have run nothing less than super unleaded gas (93 oct).
My stock pcv valve is still hooked up. I have the front valve cover breather plugged and I have the back valve cover vented to the atmoshpere. I have not had any problems with oil leaks from blowby this way.
Pre turbo gas mileage was 28-30 mpg, Now I get 25 mpg.
My intake is not the stock K8 intake. I have a 2.5L millenia curved neck
intake with a 60mm bored out TB. vris tied open. Match ported phenolic spacers.
My egr is there but plugged. No cat on a 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust into a dynomax muffler.
I have an external wastegate dumping to the atmoshpere that I put a
small lawmower muffler on to quiet things down.
Other than the intercooler the car looks stock.

Send my your e-mail and I can send some picts of the setup.

Andy P. 93 GS 1.8T
can i still use the k8 intake? and are the spacers essential...i dont have a prob with them because i have already been recommended to do them on n/a. premium fuel in australia is rated at 95 and ultimate is 98. how essential is it to change the plugs as well?Basically them minimum i could get away with for 6psi

yeah if i could see some pics thatd be fantastic. itd certainly help the guys doin it out. My email is portadelaidefc20@hotmail.com

thanks for your help agin
BOOSTIN SOON!
andy

Post by andy »

K8 intake is fine. I had the millenia intake already mounted before the turbo project. You don't need the phenolic spacers either.
One of your turbo goals should be to keep the intake air temps as low as you can get them. the colder heat range on the plugs is just one small way to help avoid detonation. You will definitly need to remove the plugs and regap them from the stock .042"-.044" to 032"-.034".

Andy P. 93 GS 1.8T

P.S. pictures are sent
30xadelaide

Post by 30xadelaide »

i tried to read the write ups on vris and mae some sense of it but its a bit out of my league sounds like its almost an airbank you draw on til you reach your next powerband. Do you just have vris #2 open ? i can understand why u have done it as the valves close off at 6500rpm. you probly benefit from 3500-4250(even higher with your boring but between 4500-6200 say arent you losing out, but then gain again from 6200 onwards again.

it seems like its a no win situation with these intakes. ill prob give it a run at first normally and see how it fairs. 6500 is gettin pretty high in the rev range anyway. you probly know from experience whats best though.

anyway mate thnaks for the piccies as well. are u running slim line fans. have u got a pic with what you did witht he cross member
BOOSTIN SOON!
andy

Post by andy »

I have tried both ways with the VRIS. tied open and left alone. Honestly my seat of the pants dyno can't tell the difference. Not everyone is in agreement on this, but the majority seem to think that tying them open is better than leaving them normal. Besides my intake setup is so far from what Mazda sold me that the VRIS Probably weren't that great anyways.
The above statement applies to F/I and not N/A.

6500 RPM is not to High in my range. I tend to shift at 7500, just before fuel cutoff. With the turbo its hard not to. You'll get there so quick.
The whole vris power band thing doesn't apply under boost.
It might also depend on the size of the turbo you install. A smaller turbo might run out of breath at higher rpms but mine sure doesn't.

No slimeline fans, just one stock fan. I removed the drivers side fan in order to make room for the turbo. I drive in south Florida heat and still don't have a problem with cooling. Of course if that fan decides to take a dump on me I'll definitly have problems.
I cut the cross member with my 4" die grinder still mounted to the car.
I used a thick (1/2" thk x 1" w) piece of steel to reconnect the two halfs
with some large screws. No welding involved.
I'll send some pictures.

Andy P. 93 GS 1.8T
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

ANDY omg u are my hero... post pics please!! i saw the pipes at a very attractive price on ebay and i may want to do this to mjy ze. 8 psi.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
andy

ebay pipes

Post by andy »

Yeah, I have been seeing those pipes on ebay for months. I bought mine before they went public, paid $550, now there less than half that.
Oh well I'm still happy with them. My complete turbo setup with the Ebay price of the pipes would have come to less than a $1000. Thats less than a ZE installed and less work and I'm a little quicker.
I can e-mail you pictures but I have no way of hosting them.

Andy P. 93 GS 1.8L
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

yeah send em in :)

hgallegos915@msn.com
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “Forced Induction”