1996 gs

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
tuner

1996 gs

Post by tuner »

anyone have a idea what a 96 gs with 80,000 original kms, auto, with not a spot of rust might be worth?

there is one for sale and im thinking about looking at it for the gf...the auto makes me really not want to get it but she cant drive a stick.

any problems with the v6? im really only fimiliar with the 4's

thanks
dont drink and drive....you might spill your drink.
Spinkx79
Supporting Member

Post by Spinkx79 »

FYI - The 96 is OBDII so if you are ever planning on putting a KLZE or DE into it you will have some extra headaches (ie. harness no workie).

If its just gonna be a grocery getter it wont be an issue.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Spinkx79 wrote:FYI - The 96 is OBDII so if you are ever planning on putting a KLZE or DE into it you will have some extra headaches (ie. harness no workie).

If its just gonna be a grocery getter it wont be an issue.
Keep ECU and change out VAF. If you get a headache doing that .........

The autos on the V6 are still issues. I wouldn't touch it unless they had receipts showing transmission fluid flushes were done every 30K miles. Mazda didn't fix the automatic isssues with any of thier cars until 2000 or so.
tuner

Post by tuner »

cool thanks guys. it wont be modded at all...other then say a cai or something. yeah im not sure about the auto tranny...what sort of issues do they have? poor performance? blowing up? never had a auto mazda.

whats a rough dollar figure you might have in mind. keep in mind its a totally mint body and 80000 original kms.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

No more than about $3,000.00 cdn max. Unless you're really bent on that car, as lakersfan said, that tranny is one from hell. A quick look at any given time in the for sale forum and you'll see members looking for replacement tranny's for their V6's. Strongly urged to stay clear, unless this is only a temporary situation and you'll be looking to unload it in a year or two. Not something to look for in long term reliability.
If she's all that interested in driving a sporty type car, it's best that she get used to the idea of driving a stick. It costs nothing to learn, only determination, will, desire and patience. Those that drive both will probably claim that driving ATX's is boring and uninteresting. If you want a fun car, it should have a stick. If you're looking for a grocery getter, look at a 4dr ATX.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
tuner

Post by tuner »

thanks again...think i will pass on the car. dont need the problems with the auto at all.

i have tried to teach her manual trans in the past...and im not much of a teacher lol.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Dump her off in the middle of nowhere with nothing but a stick car and see how fast she learns.
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

lakersfan1 wrote:Dump her off in the middle of nowhere with nothing but a stick car and see how fast she learns.
Yea nice and i wounder why the EX missues turnned my lenco 5speed
into a three speed, i was not impressed.
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

kiwi_MX3 wrote:
lakersfan1 wrote:Dump her off in the middle of nowhere with nothing but a stick car and see how fast she learns.
Like Cheech and Chong said while learning to drive stick on a Ferrari,

"How do I drive this thing?"

"I don't know, just grind it till it sticks"

:lol:

I learned to drive stick on a $500 car. When the clutch finally gave after 6 months, then I got a new Sentra with a stick and that car went 130K miles + on the stock clutch.
tuner

Post by tuner »

thought about this but i was thinking the ghetto...but then i thought how will i get outta there :D
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

lakersfan1 wrote:
kiwi_MX3 wrote:
Like Cheech and Chong said while learning to drive stick on a Ferrari,

"How do I drive this thing?"

"I don't know, just grind it till it sticks"

:lol:

I learned to drive stick on a $500 car. When the clutch finally gave after 6 months, then I got a new Sentra with a stick and that car went 130K miles + on the stock clutch.
Lenco 5 speed Transmission..
ID#: 3897 Category: Transmissions

Lenco 5 speed transmission with shifters. This is the small case transmission and was used in a pro stock car. Trans. has only 12 runs on it from new. Getting out of racing.
Price: $ 6800 Payment Method: cash
Contact Name: Bob

thats 6800 USD! OUCH!
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”