Custom Stainless Steel Exhaust System...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Pentathlon

Custom Stainless Steel Exhaust System...

Post by Pentathlon »

Had this quote for a new system and wondering what people think:

"A custom build stainless exhaust system for your ...MX3 ... from the existing catalytic converter section through to the rear . Included in the base system price would be a standard style 2.5" rolled lip style tailpipe.

Because all of our systems are custom built, you are able to tell us how you would like the car to sound, anywhere from quiet to full sport. The most popular choice is Mild Sport, which gives a slight note when you open the accelerator, yet without being intrusive.

The system is guaranteed for as long as you own the car, and this is a fully transferrable warranty. It's also a "No Hassle" warranty - we believe it is the very the best warranty in the industry.

If you are interested in technical specifications, the system is built in 304 grade stainless steel throughout, and assembled using high frequency TIG welding. All of our systems are built using freeflow technology, so your engine will breathe better than with conventional systems. This usually gives a noticeable improvement in the torque from your engine - particularly at lower revs. We have numerous testimonials from customers who have experienced both improved engine performance and fuel economy. "

Inclusive of fitting and tax, total price works out at £329 (about $500 US).

Is it a good price?
Should I go for mild sport or more? - How much improvement is there likely to be?

basically... does this look like a good plan?? :?

Cheers guys! :D [/b]
TRYING NOT TO BLOW MY CAR UP...failing miserably...
'93 1.8 V6
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

I wouldn't be a good judge of the cost since what may be the norm there may not always be the the norm at other parts of the world. Exact same system could cost 3 times more in Norway but may not be over priced in comparison to the average income there, if you catch where I'm coming from.

As far as sound selection. I believe that it is always inherent of our cars to be louder than average with the best systems installed. I'd strive for the "QUIET" configuration since it will still have that distinctive MX-3 sound with a 2.5" piping anyway. At least, that would be my choice.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
mx almere

Post by mx almere »

I payed two times that in Holland a few months ago. The quality I have is the absolute best that you can get over here. You will notice some performance improvement, but mostly just a better sound. I chose for the "quiet" option. Throught only absorption mufflers you can really hear the V6 sound. If you are in doubt, just let them put on the mufflers and run it before they start welding.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Woof, that seems really expensive. My headers back (cat, pipe and muffler) only cost me 250 USD. It was mild steel not SS, but... Matter of fact I looked for a place to bend some SS exhaust for me and wasn't able to find a place that did it. It is alot less common in the states from what I can tell. I've heard that SS exhausts are naturally louder than mild steel so be careful on that sound option. You don't want to get a head-ache every time you drive. ;)
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Pentathlon

Post by Pentathlon »

Cool, cheers for the thoughts.

For reference:
It seems its quite a good deal; a normal\standard system installed at a 'high-street' 'quick-fix' type place is not much less... about $40 less!

There might be another problem though: the heat shield needs replacing soon... how easy would this be to do without replacing the catalytic converter (about £500/$800 for a cat over here!!)??

Or should I sort out a system that excludes the cat, and then just put the cat back on when it needs to go through an emissions test!? :wink:
'93 1.8 V6
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

KEEP THE CAT!!
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Pentathlon

Post by Pentathlon »

:lol:
Ok ok, I hear ya. Thanks! :D

Any suggestions for what I can do about the heatshield?
'93 1.8 V6

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”