What should i consider when using this switch?.

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
PatMX3

What should i consider when using this switch?.

Post by PatMX3 »

I have a push- ON/OFF switch that i am going to use to turn on my cars POWER. The question is, should i use a certain amperage rating for it, or add a relay onto it to be safe?. Im just worried about the switches ability to handle the load. AND! so nothing will burn UP! lol.
"93 Mazda MX-3 GS. Special Edition* 1.8L
Color -Rasberry Metallic. P-START Ignition*.
EuroLITE Dash Gauge* 77,000/m
#2nd Mx-3 Owner.
Mazda. Get in. Be M o v e d .
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

What do you mean the car's power? Like a push button start to start the car?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
PatMX3

Post by PatMX3 »

yeah! i have a push button to fire the ignition. BUT, i wanna also have a switch to turn the power on as well. I'll have a kill switch atatched onto it so none can just start the car up. i'll still have to use the key to unlock the wheel lock, and car door.
#2nd Mx-3 Owner.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Sounds like a pain in the butt, but your call. You'll need a relay hooked to the swtich to keep from burning the switch and having to run a ton of large amprage wire from the engine bay back out to the fuse box.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

not really, cause you couldn't find a relay to handle all that power, their usally around 30/40amp max
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I've seen higher ratings, but I was a commercial electrician then working with low voltage assembly-line machinery. It may be tough to find, but you need one that is the same as the "Main" fuse in the engine fuse box, 100 amps I think. Good luck.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

http://www.grainger.com Get a catalog.. definately worth having around :)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Tropical Emerald 1993

Post by Tropical Emerald 1993 »

and throw some pics after you've done this
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Sniff .... sniff ..... what the heck is that??? Burning wires???
Of course, like Pat said, your call. Why in the world would you want to bastardize a perfectly working ignition system. Unless your ignition system is toast or it's a full bore Race Only MX, than I can't see the money, time and effort spent. If it's wiring your eager to work on, how about upgrading the wiring to the headlights to re-coup about 20% of it's potential? Or redo the ground wiring for the engine bay? At least these would net a worthwhile positive benefit to everyday operation.
my $.02
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
PatMX3

Post by PatMX3 »

Well .... the reason i'm doing it I wanted to add a push start button, and in the process of finding out which wires i needed to use i messed up by a ignition part coming all apart from its place. lil springs, pieces all over. i tried to re organize them back, but to no avail!. So... thats why i have to have a EXTRA button to turn on the POWER for the car. If i can find a junk ignition module some place, ill use it. But till then i kinda like this extra power switch i'll have. ill need my key to open the door, and the steerin lock. all though, i could get ride of the sterring lock!!! lol.
#2nd Mx-3 Owner.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”