Fidanza flywheel - what's the gain?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
nightnic

Fidanza flywheel - what's the gain?

Post by nightnic »

So guys, many of you have fidanza flywheel installed as a part of swap, or just, well, installed.
Whats the point of doing this? I mean, its about $325 on ebay, its lighter and stuff, but is there some noticable gain? What are your subjective sensations on improvements?
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

use search...udont "gain"hpis freedup.. theres hundreds of postsregarding this..
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

quicker revs, higher rpms in lower gears, frees up hp
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

And they have the absolutely amazing ability to lighten your wallet by a few hundred dollars too ;)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Teqnyck

Post by Teqnyck »

Tunes67 wrote:And they have the absolutely amazing ability to lighten your wallet by a few hundred dollars too ;)

Tunes67
Haha, weight savings!! If you get a 2.5 swap, I'd say it's worth the money. KL-DE/ZEs take forever to wind up, IMO. One of the lightweight flywheels on a K8 would sound awesome, though.
KLZE/KL31 ecu/Pacesetter headers/track pipe cat delete/2.5 inch custom exhaust out to fart pipe/warm air intake for now :(/Fidanza 9lbs flywheel/Stage 2 kevlar road racing clutch which still slips/stock wheels/BFG KDW-2 tires. Looks bone stock ;)

There are those who claim to be street racers, and then there are those who claim the streets for themselves. I am not a street racer. I am a StreetSweeper.
http://www.streetsweepersracing.com
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Not much acutal HP gain. Maybe an everage of 1-2, but it makes the car go though the RPMS faster. Slightly better acceleration. No higher RPMS though since that is governed by the ECU and the car shouldn't be brought past the redline anyway. (sorry Brain, but that is incorrect <Billy Madison>)
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

i think you fail to understand my statement patrick. It revs really quick making into higher rpms alot quicker in the lower gears 1st and 2nd 3rd and up feel normal. I'm not dumb i know a flywheel wont cause your car to go higher in rpms, you need the jspec jdm type f nopi stickers for that gaaaaaaaawd such a friggen idiot!
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Mnemonic wrote: you need the jspec jdm type f nopi stickers for that
:lol:

Less mass to move when accelerating therefore acceleration resistance is reduced. Enables rpm's to get to it's higher levels quicker which means axles/wheels will get there quicker too, all things being equal. There is a slight down side to this. That being that there is less rotating mass to keep engine rpm's up when you back off of the accelerator. Meaning that as as soon as you back off, rpms drop back very very quickly and rotational force momentum will not maintain a slower rpm return rate.
Accelerates UP and DOWN very fast. One must not be lazy when shifting with this is installed since you'll loose the sweet rpm spot for gear engagement very quickly.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
nightnic

Post by nightnic »

Guys, guys, this is all understood, reduced weight, less inertia, faster rpm change up and down. But whats your feelings, is it worth 325 bucks or not really?
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

yes and no?

i like it and hate it at times, just depends on what type of a mood i'm in :)

nightnic

Post by nightnic »

Well, doesn't engaged transmission and wheels traction act more or less the same as flywheel, my means of vehicle wieght? On idle, yes, flywheel is the only weight on crankshaft. You can spin the engine faster and it will drop the rpm faster. But it shouldn't be the case when on speed, its effect should be more or less neglected by car weight.
What do you think?

PS Would be naive to hope anybody has dyno charts before and after flywheel upgrade, right? :)
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

jschrauwen wrote:
Mnemonic wrote: you need the jspec jdm type f nopi stickers for that
:lol:

Less mass to move when accelerating therefore acceleration resistance is reduced. Enables rpm's to get to it's higher levels quicker which means axles/wheels will get there quicker too, all things being equal. There is a slight down side to this. That being that there is less rotating mass to keep engine rpm's up when you back off of the accelerator. Meaning that as as soon as you back off, rpms drop back very very quickly and rotational force momentum will not maintain a slower rpm return rate.
Accelerates UP and DOWN very fast. One must not be lazy when shifting with this is installed since you'll loose the sweet rpm spot for gear engagement very quickly.
You got it right on. It revs quick but it also drops just as quick. And I kind of hate my fidanza just because of that reason. I can't get my sweet spot when I shift
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
nightnic

Post by nightnic »

I'd guess short shifter would help, wouldn't it?
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

It would help, but be careful. The more you mod like that the more aggressive you have to drive ALL the time to keep the car running smoothly. If your car revs faster and it requires more arm stregnth to move the shifter (from a short shifter installation) then you will have to be A. quicker on the shift to hold the RPM sweet spot (you will be naturally quicker with a short shifter, but it is not a 100% compensation. I'd say more like 50% easier from what I can tell from driving Brian's) and B. you will have to apply more stregnth to the shifter to move from one gear to another.
Bottom line is this. How much effort are you willing to use EVERY day to drive your car. It will be quicker with a short shifter and a Fidanza, but it will be more of a bear to drive.
Also, the flywheel is not an easy thing to change. You have to remove the tranny and most of the time is a good idea to replace the clutch and rear main seal while you have it apart. It wouldn't hurt to do a short shifter and new shift bushings at the same time either.

Brian, sorry for being wrong and trying to correct you. It jsut sounded that way to me... :cry:
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

awww hehehe no harm done :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”