Learning about Cars

Off-Topic Discussions
Samio

Learning about Cars

Post by Samio »

I'm a junior in high school and was wondering what I should do to get some experience with cars. I don't think I'm going to take automotive technology in college but I really do want to learn about cars. Are there any programs or classes I can take over the summer or maybe during school? Is there any way I can take automotive classes while I'm still in highschool? How did most of you learn about cars? I appreciate any tips.
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

if you wanna learn about cars find a car club to hang out with and do all your own work on cars you will learn alot. plus this site can teachalot 2.
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

still in highschool? hook up with a co-op program or an intern program

then get into a shop!!!
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
Bucking Bronco

Post by Bucking Bronco »

Start buying tools & remember you get what you pay.
I do all my work myself with the help of shop manual's and the internet.
I'm no longer surprised what you can find on here(internet) because its all here :)
Addicted to the Speed
92 MX-3 GS K8 - CAI
Samio

Post by Samio »

Thanks so much for all the tips. Are alot of the tools expensive? I'm going to go out and start buying tools tomorrow.
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

first comes first to tooks, you get what you pay for, but you dont need snapon tools.

mastercraft, or craftsman makes awsome hand tools tools, as does grey and husky.

start with a 9 or 11 peice metric wrench set, and a metric socket set.

try not to buy one of thoes big combo kits that seem to have everything in them. there not as good as there made out to be.

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

get mastercraft..lifetime warranty.. u break it u bring back to store and they replace it no questions asked and that lasts a lifetime ;)
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
frogi323

Post by frogi323 »

fieromx3 wrote:get mastercraft..lifetime warranty.. u break it u bring back to store and they replace it no questions asked and that lasts a lifetime ;)
same with craftsman. and i preferr craftsman over all the rest. they seem to hold up. ive only had to replace a couple breaker bars cause i used them wrong. (7ft cheater bar)
i have a 323 and am in search of mx3 gs rear ttls and front control arms. and this is the only reason im here unless i get a mx-3. I JUST WANNA BUY THINGS!!!!!!
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I've always had an interest in cars since I was a kid, but never had the opertunity to let it grow, even a automotive class in high school was non-existant because it was too small, new and didn't have the facilities (until after i left)

So I jumped into it once I got my first my, my Mx-3 (yes my Mx-3 is my first car, I've had her for over 4 years now). I started out doing stuff i knew how, my CarPC. Although it wasn't totally car related, i heard about the electrical system, how the interior comes apart, feeding wires, making mounts and such.

Eventially I got the temptation to do a KLZE swap, only a year after i bought the car. So i literallly went to the bank and got a personal loan for it. I have a mechanic that was willing to do the work, his only stipulation, I do all the reasearch, get all the parts and he'll do it. So i literally spend about 3 months constantly reading FAQ's and recent swap information. By the time we started it, I had all the info of what was suppose to be done in my head. What also helpped is that I went over after work (he was going this out of his well equipped home garage so he worked on it in the evenings as well) to help him out, put into reality what I was reading. 4 days later, would of been 3 but I didn't know better and didn't order an intake and exhaust manifold gasket, my 200hp Mx-3 was complete. I still remember that feeling when he was giving it a test drive around town, i was in the passenger seat, I though to myself "man, i can't believe this is my car".

Overtime I've upgraded as things went, as well as did preventatibe maintenance (which helps reliability. I've only been towed once, and that was yesterday cause my distrubutor died while I was out 200km away camping), but made sure to upgrade (if possible) instead of just OEM replacements. But my mechanics motto; do the research (find out how to, and what could wrong), get the parts, and let him know when I'm ready. As well, I watch, ask questions, help if I can or needs it. He's been a great teacher. He also likes it too, cause it's stuff would not normally do (he's 20+yr experienced mechanic during the day), so it's fun for him, he gets to learn interesting things and upgrades, without spending the money (or rather making extra money) on a hobby car.

ALso what i learned is that not to be affraid to make mistakes. Sure, there are some things you don't want to screw up, in those cases do research and get professional help, but if you can get replacements, who cares, all it costs is money, but you learn in the end...man, my rx7-style tail light mod i did a few months ago, i had to ruin 2 pairs of stock tail lights to figure out how to remove the lenses without braking them, but also, I did the HEI mod today cause the one on my original K8 distributor died yesterday, and I fixed it all by myself, first shot :)

It's an expensive hobby, trust me, but if your willing to learn, hands on work with a personal passion is the best way. Although going to school helps, you don't need to go to an automotive course. I went to college for the computer technician program, but about 40% of it was electronics and electrical courses, which some of my computer-originted friend disliked since they would technically be useless in our field, it has helped me for my personal hobbie and actually is that got my job of installing electronics into cops cars and such that I started about 3 months ago. You know what I did before that, a desk job at Microsoft doing tech support. Although some people question the insame amout of money i've put into a car I've paid $4000 for, the knowledge and experience is invaluable and i can carry on with me on any project to any vehicle. And i get something out of it, instead of spending 20k on school for a piece of paper, i spend 20k on a car I can drive and enjoy :)
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

i took the mechanical technology class in high school.... we have one of the best programs here and i really didnt know much about cars and well didnt really want to get into the whole technician thing but well after 3 years of doing it.... im now an apprentice tech at a ford dealership.. with cars you ll never stop learning... our shop forman has been in the trade for 20 some years and he is always learning something new everyday and he shares his knowledge with us.... if you really wanted to get to know about cars, id go to a canadian tire or something along those lines and apply to be a tire tech.... you only do tires but you learn alot also since the other guys usually come to you to give them a hand... and never be afraid to ask questions cuz there is no such thing as a dumb question.
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

i got here i am today with this website (lots of knowledge on here) and a Chiltons guide, great investment + you cna have it handy unfortuanately you cant have any of these mx3 know it alls handy.
1 mx6 88 LX auto 2.2l 4cyl
2 mx6 93 LS saved from junkyard SOLD
3 Mx6 96 M edition blow a ze part it
4 Mx6 96 gold LS paint n lights auto SOLD
5 mx6 red fresh paint clean, sold
1 mx3 92rs sohc auto rota c8s h&r
2 mx3 93 gsze bought w/ mods
3 mx3 93 GSze mtx swp act stg3 str8 nek im eibach kl36
4 mx3 GS SOLD-
6 mx3 white gs jdm swap'd SOLD
*5th mx3 blk GS clean title modded DD*
1 PGT 97 blk, garaged clean sold