Already searched, best headers for a V6?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions

What headers give off the best SOUND perofromance?

Hotshot
47%
OBX
13%
SS Autochrome
33%
Pacesetter
7%

Total votes: 15

Juans_93_MX3

Already searched, best headers for a V6?

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I have already searched and I see Hotshot headers are the most popular and sound really great to many people.
My questions are,
1.) What is the best place to get these headers for cheap?
2.) True or False, these headers work with stock K8 exhaust?
3.) Would these headers make my stock exhaust sound better?
4.) Stupid question, what gains am I looking at for the K8? I plan to swap a KLZE sometime soon but just curious.
5.) Last question, on which of these headers do you have to do special cutting or welding to make them fit onto a MX3?

I have seen other brands out there such as SS Autochrome, OBX, Pacesetter (Pacesetter are awful)
Anyway, anyone have any of these other headers? Are all these headers the only headers aviable for the MX3?
Last edited by Juans_93_MX3 on August 3rd, 2006, 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Mazdaracer

Post by Mazdaracer »

I can't comment on the install or power gains, as you can see, the engine is not in the car yet...lol

but here are a few pics of the SS autochrome headers. The welds are not nearly as bad as some ppl posted about, i found them to be very good quality for the price. I left out the close up of the welds, it's a big pic, but if you want here's a thread with a few more pics. (header pics on last page) http://www.imazda.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4

THINK FAST, GO RACING!!
2004 Mazda6 Wagon
2004 Mazda3 Sedan
1990 BG8P Protege LX - KLZE - Race Preped - #98 SM - SCCA Solo2
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I had obx headers for a few years now and they have been ok, the enitre Y pipe was rusted after the first year, I did drive in the winter though. THe hotshot ones are nice, I think they are aluminized so they do not discolor.
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

well i just got my SSautos the other day actually for the price (222 shipped CAD :)) they are good quality i like them but apparently its a hit or miss on the fitment and the egr tube is off by alot..

hot shots are the best quality, sound, fitment plus they come ceramic coated i beleive ;)

also on PT they are having a bulk buy on hot shots for 360 bux ;) BUT the rear bank o2 sensor bung is at the wrong angle (no biggy) heres the link

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread. ... 1922824310

also did u look at the FAQ for headers? although it is a lil outdated lol its worth checkin it out
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

The hotshot headers are ceramic coated out of the box.. they cost a lot more but they will help keep under hood temps down and they also have all the bungs for the O2 sensors and the EGR tube you need as well. I will be purchasing a set of them no later than the 22nd of this month from RR Racing.
You get what you pay for.. JWMX3 purchased a set of the SS autochrome and he was very annoyed with the fitment if I recall correctly. I know he got them to work.. maybe he will chime in here with his opinion as well.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

BUT the rear bank o2 sensor bung is at the wrong angle (no biggy)
Wrong angle for the Probe... but will it make any difference in the MX-3? Dunno.. but that price rocks.. looks like I will be getting them on the 15th then :D

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

How much do the Hotshots go for, do they fit on stock exhaust and where is the best place I can purchase some?
Last question, if I was to go for a Turbo later, would I need to change headers or would I be able to use the Hotshots?
They sell a exhaust Turbo manifold?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

rr-racing carries the headers but not for long as they are discontinuing thats why there so cheap right now in that bulk buy - there going for 360 bux + 30 for shipping. i dunno where else to get hot shots never looked into it.

using a turbo manifold on the headers i think u can but im not sure cuz if u look at the turbo manifolds they look to use those headers and just add on the up-pipe and down pipe from them.. hopefully someone can answer this for sure.

what u mean by using on stock exhaust? they should be direct bolt on except moving the catilitic converter a few inches back
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

$360 + $30 is considered cheap?
That better be for the exhaust pipe aswell
Forget that!

I'll try to make my own headers for less then half of that money

I am a noob to this but, dont all headers need is the pipping, some welding, a few bends and thats it? None of that fancy chrome that makes them so expensive
I have learned to weld, all I would need to do is buy a welder and piping

Why do people/companies buy/sell chromed headers? Its not like someone is going to go under your car and say, "wow, your headers look awesome with your car... BLING BLING"
Last edited by Juans_93_MX3 on August 3rd, 2006, 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

:roll: good luck on the headers...if u want good stuff u gotta pay and 360 is dam cheap imo or go on ebay and get some ssautos for like 200 bux
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I'm talking out of my butt here but seriously, how hard can it be to make your own headers espically when you know how to weld?

Other then the mandrel bends, welding, buying the right diameter piping (piping goes for very cheap now-a-days), how hard can it be?

I see or hear of people making their own turbo/supercharger piping all the time for very cheap. They even have the mandrel bends

Sections of piping with mandrel bends can even be bought online for very cheap.

Seriously, with the right tools (welder, drills, pipe cutters), it should NOT be hard and should come out very cheap

I undertsand though that piping has to be rust proof. Thats why they coat it with rust proof or something. Sure as hell cant be that crome I always see on piping. I sure know my STOCK EXAUST dosent have crome.
Chrome is for the bling bling factor that alot of ricers like :P
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

What is the diameter for every runner of the Hotshot exahust manifolds?

I bet I can make my own headers for half the price without the bling bling. I bet I can even make it sound better and give off more TRQ with longer runners aswell
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
Mazdaracer

Post by Mazdaracer »

your right, who cares if they are chromed or polished, BUT, there is a big difference in being aluminumized or stainless steel.

You'll need a good understanding of alot of different discplines, flow dynamics, exhaust flow velocity, calculating proper lengths for different RPM range gains, etc...there's a shitload more you need to know, i don't know em all or i'd be buildingthem myself...lol. But i wouldn't attempt it without a textbook full of answers...

You don't just go out grab a few pipes and weld em up...unless you care nothing about the performance they'll most likely NOT provide. Sure you can duplicate another set, but thats exactly what most companies like SSautochrome does...and for the effort and cost of making your own, a set of SSautos ran me $178 shipped to my door. Unless you have some great hookups, you'll spend that easy doing it yourself.

You have alot of research to do if you plan to weld up your own. More power to ya for going the DIY route, i always applaud the DIYer, but a project like this for a first timer is generally a mistake waiting to happen. Just make sure you do ALL your homework.
THINK FAST, GO RACING!!
2004 Mazda6 Wagon
2004 Mazda3 Sedan
1990 BG8P Protege LX - KLZE - Race Preped - #98 SM - SCCA Solo2
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Juans_93_MX3 wrote:$360 + $30 is considered cheap?
That better be for the exhaust pipe aswell
Forget that!
Actually, that is not a bad deal, honda headers would be just as much for some quality ceramic headers, there is alot of piping for a v6 so I think that is fair for a great set of headers.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Oh yeah.. and when you get done making your custom headers.. make sure you send them off to be ceramic coated. Oops.. that usually costs at least $150 anyway.

Tunes67

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”