Caliper Question

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Neil

Caliper Question

Post by Neil »

Does anyone know or have a list of which brake calipers off other cars (Ford Probe, etc) will fit directly onto an MX-3?

I called the auto wreckers today to go scrounging for MX-3 parts but they don’t have any MX-3’s at the moment.
Ever notice anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?
01-03 Civic Projector Swap Tutorial
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Do you need a front or rear caliper? Front calipers are very cheap.. at least the last time I checked.. they were only $45 each. The rear ones are a lot more expensive though. Best of luck.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Look in the FAQ for interchangability.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Tunes67 wrote:Do you need a front or rear caliper? Front calipers are very cheap.. at least the last time I checked.. they were only $45 each. The rear ones are a lot more expensive though. Best of luck.

Tunes67
I need both front and rear calipers. If the front ones are that cheap I will just buy them Brand New. Depending on the price I will see about the rears.
lakersfan1 wrote:Look in the FAQ for interchangability.
Maybe I didn’t read it right. But I thought that it just explained which rotors could be interchanged. Not which calipers? At least I didn’t think it explained which REAR calipers could be swapped.
Last edited by Neil on August 2nd, 2006, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ever notice anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?
Neil

Post by Neil »

Tunes67 wrote:Do you need a front or rear caliper? Front calipers are very cheap.. at least the last time I checked.. they were only $45 each. The rear ones are a lot more expensive though. Best of luck.

Tunes67
I just phoned Piston Ring and this is the prices they gave me (In Canadian)

Front Driver Side: $61.51 each ($52.28 with discount)
Front Passenger Side: $62.64 each ($53.24 with discount)
(He couldn’t figure out why one is $1 more than the other)

Rear Driver Side: $148.98 each ($126.63 with discount)
Rear Passenger Side: $148.98 each ($126.63 with discount)

Front Core: $50 each ($42.50 with discount)
Rear Core: $70 each ($59.50 with discount)
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

are there any bigger discs and calipers from other Mazda cars that fit on our models? I`m interested in brakes that are rated for more HP from Mazda.

That way I might be able to get a 2.5 conversion legal in Norway, and fully approved in the papers for the car.

-nope
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
LooseChangeRacing

Post by LooseChangeRacing »

yep, you have 1 option, the big brake kit....i think it's around $1500 on corksport....other than that, check my worklog, i'm being lazy, but I know my rear calipers were cheaper than that....i do believe so....got mine from advanced auto
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2385931/4
Car Name - Elsie (LC)
Car Type - 92 Black RS Stock 190k
Car Name - (yet to be decided)
Car Type - 93 (soon Black) GS KLZE 130k
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

The Bigbrake kit is not possible to get approved here, as it`s not standard on any Mazda.

-nope
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

No caliper will bolt on. From what I've been able to tell we use a one of a kind spindle and thus cannot use brakes from any other car. The rears are made by Mistubishi so you might be able to find a Mitsu that would swap over, but I doubt it.
Will they let you have a caliper mounting arm? If so you cna use jsut about whatever brakes you want. The only trick is getting the arm perfectly in the right spot. This usualy takes a CAD program if you want it spot on.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Neil

Post by Neil »

PATDIESEL wrote:No caliper will bolt on. From what I've been able to tell we use a one of a kind spindle and thus cannot use brakes from any other car. The rears are made by Mistubishi so you might be able to find a Mitsu that would swap over, but I doubt it.
Will they let you have a caliper mounting arm? If so you cna use jsut about whatever brakes you want. The only trick is getting the arm perfectly in the right spot. This usualy takes a CAD program if you want it spot on.
Thanks for the info Pat 8)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Agreed with PAT.. The rear calipers are the ones that will be a Pita to take care of. If you DO find a Mitsushitty part number or direct swap over replacement.. make sure you post it up for posterior sake ;) (Yes thats a joke) Good luck on the project Neil :2thumbsup:

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”