Twin-loop muffler with turbo?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
ryanlindenberg

Twin-loop muffler with turbo?

Post by ryanlindenberg »

hey do any of you know anything about these twin loop mufflers? i've currently got a magnaflow, it gets pretty loud at interstate speeds though. my magnaflow has one of those huge tips on it, i don't like the look of it but it sounds alright.

would there be any performance gains/drawbacks if i went with a twin-loop muffler? i searched around the internet and found a honda forum that had a review on this OBX muffler (link is below). they said it was pretty quiet except when @ WOT. that's pretty much what i'm looking for. some people on there were saying that twin-loops shouldn't be used on turbo cars because it would cause restriction. any thoughts? i think it would work fine with a turbo but i would like some other opinions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-UNIV ... dZViewItem
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
therieldeal

Post by therieldeal »

that thing looks silly :?

basically its just two mufflers in one. so... the better solution is to add a resonator or second muffler to your exhaust in the straight section after the cat.

-jon
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

yea it looks silly, but all that sticks out is the tip. it would look way better than my fart can.

i'm planning on switching mufflers anyway, so if i could just do the muffler without a resonator, that would be the way to go.
therieldeal

Post by therieldeal »

i just doubt that it would sound as good as just adding a resonator to your current setup. it also wont flow as well due to the tight bends. for that price you could get a real nice stainless steel magnaflow resonator. get one thats as long as possible, the longer the better.

-jon
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Use 3 or more of these mufflers inline (step the last muffler up 1/2" larger than the others).
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... ryId=10265

Use 1 of these inserts in the last larger muffler.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... ryId=10265

I have 3.5" exhaust on my car w/ all 3 mufflers same size with an insert. At 3000rpms cruise speed you can talk at a normal level and actually understand eachother. My car is gutted with no sound deadening material and the Virginia State Police finally quit writing me noise violation tickets with this setup. At the track I take the insert out and see substantial power gains (increases boost about 5psi just from back pressure reduction) but it is the best noise/power setup I've found so far and I've tried a LOT of different setups. :wink: I'm recommending the last muffler to be larger so that you can use a larger insert on the street and still make power with the noise reduction. Car Chemistry also offers steel wool packing to use with the insert which reduces the noise somewhere around another claimed 7ish DBs. I'd recommend adding more of the above mufflers instead of the packing. For each muffler we added the noise level was audibly cut in half (approx 3 DBs per muffler added) with virtually no differeance in power output or added lag in comparrison to the Car Chemistry Insert. When I have the money I'll be reconfiguring my exhaust with a larger last muffler that I'm designing and will have to custom fabricate.

P.S.

do NOT use the restrictor cap with the Car Chemistry insert. It chokes off the flow way to far!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

like everyone says two mufflers in one and the bends are going to be a factor in back pressure, BACKPRESSURE NO GOOD FOR TURBO :P. You want the air as free as possible
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
For BPT Frorums - http://www.aokforums.com/mazdaengines/
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Mine isn't two mufflers in one. They are straight through mufflers that use a packing to absorb sound waves with minimum effect on exhaust velocity and volume. The loop mufflers are very restrictive because of the bends as mentioned. The 2-disk insert w/ out the restrictor plate actually flows pretty well...much better than baffled muffler w/ packing. It quites as well as standard silencers because it diffuses and scatters sound waves in multiple directions out of the tail pipe all with out the restriction.

Now my exhaust system...it has MINIMUM bends with the only restrictive bends being the ones in the 3" downpipe which exhales into the 3 1/2" exhaust right at the firewall creating a low pressure area to scavenge the exhaust. The only bend in the 3 1/2" section is the one that goes over the rear axle member and it bends up hill increasing velocity and scavaging effect. I can do this on my car because we removed the spare tire well for a thin sheet of aluminum, removed the gas tank, and installed a 10gal fuel cell on steel angle iron supports designed to break away incase of excessive impact. The breakaway features is there to prevent the fuel cell from rupturing on a side or rear impact. The -8AN fuel lines kind of double as "Saftey Cables" if that event were to occur.

My Down Pipe:

My Exhaust System:

My Fuel Cell and Accel DFI Fuel Pump:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

mugen makes an exhaust like that for integra's. konig also made a muffler like that with different tips. that muffler should be pretty good.

the hks muffler on my other car is similar to that but has 2 2 inlet 2 outlet mufflers.
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

lol looks like 3 resonators
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
For BPT Frorums - http://www.aokforums.com/mazdaengines/
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

yea JW your exhaust is crazy...maybe i will just get a resonator and regular dual outlet muffler.

also JW, is that a regular BP motor...just asking because your disty is on the "wrong" camshaft...

*EDIT* oops just saw that it is a B6T, my bad.

Return to “Forced Induction”