Timing belt/engine help!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jenticking

Timing belt/engine help!!

Post by jenticking »

Hey there

My engine is making a terrible noise, but it is not a constant one. The noise occurs when I slowly Accelerate, but then dissapears. I was thinking it could be the water pump but then the noise would be constant wouldnt it. My next fear was the timing belt. The noise has gotten worse and I can no longer just turn a blind eye. My engine is very ticky also, despite the required oil changes...Lets just say you can hear me coming from a mile away!

If it is my timing belt (which i am 98% sure it is), does anyone know what they go for in the Vancouver area? I am a student so I have a limited amount of pennies :S

can anyone help me out ?
state_red

Post by state_red »

How would you describe the noise? And has there been a change in engine performance as well?

The timing belt itself is cheap.... But to change the timing belt you have to take off the plastic cover and all the pulleys and belts on the passenger side of the engine, which turns out to be quite a bit of labour, so if you're not doing it yourself it'll get pricey at a shop. (I get to do all this this weekend when I change my water pump, woo hoo)
jenticking

Post by jenticking »

hi, thanks a lot for the reply.
It's hard to describe this noise i am hearing. It is kind of rattely, kind of ticky, kind of broken beltish (does that make sense) ? The engine is doing alright, it isnt accelerating with its best performance though.

I can make the noise constant if i just lightly press my foot on the accelerater. My car has 208 clicks on it, so it would sound right that it is time to replace the belt. I will have to get it done in a shop, mazda just quoted me 550 before tax, so I am going to see the other prices that I am up against.

how long do you think it would take a shop to fix this baby? (trying to figure out labour costs)
illapino

Post by illapino »

yup. mine is at 223 000 and the previous owner doens't know when the timing belt was changed. Progressive Motorsports over here in Victoria have quoted me $550 as well for water pump and timing belt. My regular independent mechanic would likely do it around $300 but I don't wanna piss him off me coming all the time. For some reason he doesn't like my car... maybe thinks im gonna turn it into one of those rap guys' rides. :lol:

...which i will.

By the way, also consider replacing your seals down there. if they are old and stock they may leak oil that can get onto your brand prissy new timing belt. persuade them to do this at no extra cost. pulleys and tensioners, my son, is up to you
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

You sure this noise isn't once of the tensioners for the accessory belts..also replace all pulleys and tensioners on the timng belt. Go on ebay and get a timing belt for about $100 it will come with all 3 tensioners and the belt. Thats your best bet.

John
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
jenticking

Post by jenticking »

Hi again.

Hey Mx3auto, how would I know if it is one of the tensioners or if it is the belt itself??
PatMX3

Post by PatMX3 »

man guys, if u get some books and understand ur baby, u wont have to giv away ur money to some over pricIN mechanic!. when u know how ur bb ticks, its not scray to work on her anymore! :)
"93 Mazda MX-3 GS. Special Edition* 1.8L
Color -Rasberry Metallic. P-START Ignition*.
EuroLITE Dash Gauge* 77,000/m
#2nd Mx-3 Owner.
Mazda. Get in. Be M o v e d .

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”