Engine Swaps Besides the Conventional

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
illapino

Post by illapino »

Okay my jewveniles! You have persuasively persuaded me. Especially with all that Civic Killing Convo! Heh Heh Heh. That's exactly what I tell my Civic owning friends: "With an engine swap, the Precidia could KILL civics". Being-backed-up-on-my-trash-talking is the sweetest joy next to getting

Anyway, I'm happy to hear more about MX-3s pulling off different swaps. That's what I was looking for. All I could see around here were Ks and BPs, but now I hear someone trying to pull off a V8 RWD; now that's what i like to hear. But I guess you've really got me KLZE-whipped. Money is money, for the rich or the poor, so I really should stick with convention. I would be interested into turning a KLZE into a 3.0L tho but I'll leave that to the books I have yet to read since I'm sure none of u wanna be Tooters.

By the way, ne34fyofrsp3d34: your signature reads that your KLZE-equipped Ninety-Two GSR did 147.97hp on a dyno. What happened to Two-Hundred :?: :!:
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

200hp is to the crank, 147hp is to the wheels after drivetrain loss. That 147hp is also a pretty low number for a ZE you should know, they're usually good for about 160whp-165whp. He was probably running that engine with alot of restrictions, like a K8 IM or something like that.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

If you want a Honda killer, I'd get some custom pistons made for a KLDE. They're about $800 custom made. Get them about .060" over with 8.5:1 compression. Use the room of the oversized pistons to deshroud the valves in the chamber. Then, get a turbo kit off the old bulk buy on this site and add a nice big turbo to the kit. A Megasquirt engine computer. 550cc injectors in a modifed fuel rail. 400 crank horsepower easy if you have a professional tune it.

If you need answers on anything I've just talked about, ALL of it can be found by searching on this site and reading.
Flinch

Post by Flinch »

lol you may not see many MX-3's with anything but the ZE or a BPT but since when do you see a Honda withought a honda motor lol. A b16a or a b18a,b,c all the vitimins you need "o" and a b20 something or other lol you are restricted to the motors there are unless you have loads of cash to worie about moving motor mounts and such thats when where it gets complicated. ZE's BPT's are just the least complicated and most affordable and they match up with our stock trannies.

PS: i dont know a honda thats stock that could touch a ZE other than an S2000 and they arent really that impressive.
-KL31 stock internals with curved neck intake manifold and KL36 ecu
-Turbo running 7.5psi
-FMI 3"x12"x32" all alluminum and welded, have a 7.5 PSI spring she just creeps on cold nights
-ACT 6puck sprung/96 probe tranny
-Short shifter
-HEI and MSD 6al (makes a big difference when you spend the 65$ ont he right spark plugs)
-KYB GR-2 struts with H & R springs
-Megan racing seats
-Personal 280mm stearing wheel
-Familia rear strut tower bar
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

Juans_93_MX3 wrote:The thing about those Honda engines is that it makes 195 hp @ 8000 rpm & 130ft trq @ 7500 rpm.
Isnt it better to have more low-end torque/hp then to have it at such high RPMs when it comes to 1/4mile racing and AutoX?

On a KLZE, by about 5200RPMs, you are aolready making peak power

ahah damn only 130 tq tahts pretty horrid... k8's have 115 do they not.. i thought that was bad
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

illapino wrote:By the way, ne34fyofrsp3d34: your signature reads that your KLZE-equipped Ninety-Two GSR did 147.97hp on a dyno. What happened to Two-Hundred :?: :!:
Good question. I think it was a small part of a bad engine (high-milleage and poor maintenance) as well as having some fun every time i drive her. She's far from babied, which includes several dozen drag sessions at the local strip. I've put myself 80'000kms on that motor. You can check all my info in my worklog for my theories on why it's so low, but with all my mods, I should be in the 170-180hp mark, but you can't expect a motor to be perfect, especially after 3 years of hard driving, she tend to see redline a few times a day :)
Illa Killa wrote:200hp is to the crank, 147hp is to the wheels after drivetrain loss. That 147hp is also a pretty low number for a ZE you should know, they're usually good for about 160whp-165whp. He was probably running that engine with alot of restrictions, like a K8 IM or something like that.
Basically, all my mods in my signature, with the exception of the bored-out TB, AFPR and tranny. Don't take my ZE as a base comparison, cause she's an exemption (that goes with my luck). Oh, and I have the curved-neck IM. Back when I did the swap, getting cams and IM's seperately was very hard to find, so I opted with the curved-neck Millenia KLZE with the KL01 cams.

Any number you'll see, eitheris the KLZE's rated power, or the advertised power output of a 2006 Civic, it's the power at the crank, basically the power from the engine itself. As the power gets transfered to the wheel, going through all other components, flywheel/clutch, transmission, axles, wheels and such, they all add resistance and loose efficiency to the power output, so the power output at the wheels (which is what a dyno measures) is always different and always lower than the power being made and measured at the engine itself.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

sigh.....

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
illapino

Post by illapino »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Any number you'll see, eitheris the KLZE's rated power, or the advertised power output of a 2006 Civic, it's the power at the crank, basically the power from the engine itself.
the 220hp civic i mentioned was all at the wheels . . . then again, the latest Honda tuning mag has a Del Sol doing over 500hp on the cover. :o

oh, and there's a small shop in my city that does the KLZE and they rate it at 192... whatever... age is nothing but a number...

and the moral of the story is: Horsie

:idea:
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I am pretty sure our cars peak at 5,500RPMs

Anyway, Hondas are for faigs
Alot of people with Honda's are so amazed about beating a stock Mustang GT or a stock Eclipse

News flash faggets, try beating a 7sec Mustang or Eclipse
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

Juans_93_MX3 wrote:I am pretty sure our cars peak at 5,500RPMs

Peek power is at 6800 rpms from then on the power band goes flat then falls.
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

illapino

Post by illapino »

Juans_93_MX3 wrote:Anyway, Hondas are for faigs
Alot of people with Honda's are so amazed about beating a stock Mustang GT or a stock Eclipse

u just don't know how happy i am to hear precidians against civics
i thought i was waging the war by myself.

but the S2000 could be another story? . . . . . .
i guess it's the RX-7's job :lol:

one strange thing though: everyone seems to refer to the Precidia as a girly car. Is that just my city?
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

no everyone seems to think that the mx3 is a girly car, i'm guessing its probably because of its sutle curves and lines, and it doesnt have a reall sporty look (to compare to real sports cars that is).

LooseChangeRacing

Post by LooseChangeRacing »

You talked about doing the ZE as a 3.0L, not sure how much bore room you have....it's not difficult to make it a 2.8L someone already accomplished this...if not more people...

If you wanna see what the ZE can really do look at probetalk.com, the've been doing the ZE a TON more than us.

Oh the 500hp honda....even at the wheels, yeah so what, the guy also spent 25k making that 500hp honda.... it's not like the ZE is made so that you'll only ever see 200-300max....babyblue had 400 easily at the wheels....if you have the money, you will have the power, but right off the bat....ZE is such a better choice...

OH and this is the funniest comeback ever...

"You can't beat my honda, I got VTEC"

ME

"Dude, I got VRIS"

HIM

"Uh, what, dude my VTEC adds like 30 horsepower"

ME

"Go home hondaboy, come back when you got enough torque to make it off the line"
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2385931/4
Car Name - Elsie (LC)
Car Type - 92 Black RS Stock 190k
Car Name - (yet to be decided)
Car Type - 93 (soon Black) GS KLZE 130k
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Or how about the moron Honda people who think they got the best engines ever

Yeah, I sure wish I had a engine with such crappy torque
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Mnemonic wrote:
Juans_93_MX3 wrote:I am pretty sure our cars peak at 5,500RPMs

Peek power is at 6800 rpms from then on the power band goes flat then falls.
Oh well. look at that torque curve
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”