cai - track tested and proven

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

mxmaz wrote:Thats a good time for a de. Throw in some ze heads, cams, and intake manifold and you should be good for lower 14's.
no! lol im keeping it de i like getting ze times on a de that has 35hp less :lol:
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

jschrauwen wrote:I agree, it wouldn't make a significant difference at the track. But we don't live on the track. Nor is it strictly a track car only. It only seemed to be imprudent to go for a config that will not be street use friendly. Like Ian said, they will get wet even when slammed down to the bottom of the engine bay. The plastic skid plate will offer some .... I SAID SOME protection. But why would one want to gamble on that chance. Unless we had a Civic or Acura that has a preformed hole to accept a CAI/filter outside the ingine bay, our BEST OPTION is the wheel well. I only know this from this site, but also have played for many years with the intake set-ups for my and other Ducati's. The key to performance is having a cool filtered source that will not be restrictive to the point when you're at WOT. That's the key. If the oem filter box does not provide both of those than a substitute CAI would/might be in order. As a viable alternative , the airbox's on some very expensive race Ducati's had extra holes drilled in the botom of the irabox to accomodate that extra airflow requirement. Now depending on the air metering system in place, a forced air system (ram air) would also show improvements. Unfortunately, forced air induction for those Ducati's was mot an option because of limited air metering capabilities. We heve those capabilities. Here's a pic that shows a first time installer how he took it one step further to increase his "at speed" cool air induction be retaining the oem rad duct and attaching a flex tubing to the end to run into the fender well. Something I'm going to give serious considerstion to myself.
Of course, those that have researched would have already seen this pic in the "Hooodzy's CAI How To". Silverbullet's install - Now there's someone who was thinking!!!!
just to add onto this i noticed this piece that brings fresh air to the battery.. which runs directly underneath of where you put the CAI has a hole in the fender wall to gather this fresh air and right above is another hole slightly bigger where ur CAI filter directly lies... of course its probably not a large enough hole to get enough fresh air to the intake but then again the mazda engineers have a tiny little hole for the battery and they seem to think and probably know it works... just adding to how the wheel well is probably the best spot :)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

I didn't read through the whole thread but you CAN'T make a conclusion out of ONE try. IF you would have done like at least 4 runs with each intake then you could conclude something. WIthout more result no conclusions really can be made
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

no i cant make a conclusion on 1 run i know...whether it did help or not i dont care ill test it again
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”