what's the potential

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
lowflyinmx3

what's the potential

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

so i'm looking for a new car. i was thinking about an evo 8, but i was also wonderin about a motor swap and body work on my 94 mx-3. what is the potential of the bpt. i want to know some of the best times in the 1/4, horsepower, and cost. is it really worth the sawp or not, is what i'm wantin to know
Mazda.... What happens in the parking lot, stays in the parking lot
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

well the BPT is your best bet for power. with all stock motor a piggy back fuel management, you can throw down about 200 WHP at 15psi on the stock turbo. which could put you in the high 13's in the 1/4 mile, given you have a nice clutch, tires, and suspension. just a motor swap with trans and piggy back ecu could run you into the 1500 to 2000 dollar range. depends on how cheep you find your parts.
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

Get the evo.
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

A BPT's (excluding the GTR) head flows for crap you get better results from turboing a BP. Both motor are extremly robust, if you want to know more about the extrem potenial of the car there is an article or two posted about Dave Lazures (forgot hot to spell it) car. He tuned it in 99 so more power could be squezzzzzed out of it with more modern tecniques.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

here the HP # of N/A BP turned fully built turbo charged BP Project Outcast from racing mazda

Got to remember this guy went all out $$$ not like what most say ( i want the most power spending as little as possable not to break my walllet.)

(Quote)
OK I was at the DYNO last night with it. So I am sleepless in San Antonio for right now.

475 WHP 325 ft trq. This was at 18 psi. As soon as I get the motormounts in, then I will return to get more.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

hey by the way anyone know the potential of the gtr. i wanna do an engine management system. I was looking at the TEC3 from electromotive. I wanna go 16 psi.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

it cost about $2,400
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
jricoctg

Post by jricoctg »

dont be dumb, get the evo.. u wont be dissapointed. its costs 2400 for EVERYTHING to do the BPT swap? tranny and harnesses and ECU and all that crazy stuff?
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

jricoctg wrote:dont be dumb, get the evo.. u wont be dissapointed. its costs 2400 for EVERYTHING to do the BPT swap? tranny and harnesses and ECU and all that crazy stuff?
As crazy as it my sound $2400 on a stand alone u'll be able to tune a engines VS just giveing a tune up to what u just stated.
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

and my friend ran 13's on his new built bp with all flyinmiata parts. n/a and if you were to turbo something like that, even though its only like 200 hp you could beat an evo due to weight differences.
lowflyinmx3

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

weight differences won't be as much as you think. my mx weighs 3332 and an evo only wieghs 3691, and with all the electronis i would be puttin into it will only lessen the margin of the difference in wiegh. plus i've never heard of an mx able to pull a 1.03g on the skidpad
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

no mx3 weighs that much, they are only 2400 lbs stock.
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

The only thing the EVO has up front is AWD and 2.0L.....that can be done to the MX-3 as well and a several hundred pound weight advantage to the MX-3. I made 400WHP on a bone stock B6T bottom end and could build two of my cars for what you would paid for the EVO. I'm about to turn out 500+WHP on the lil 1.6 turbo only and will be in the low 10's in 1/4 mile. I've still only got half the EVO money in my car. Give me n2o, a roll cage, Race Liscense, fire suit...I'm going for 9's in a street legal FWD and will still have less money in the car than a STOCK EVO.

Now I feel bad for dissn Mitsu that bad...I do have DSM blood mixed in my viens. A stock EVO w/ a Super-AFC will do 12's in the 1/4 all day...they run that rich stock. The stock EVO bottom end has taken 700+HP BONE STOCK...Ever seen a 4G63 torn apart??? Lose the balance shaft crap and wulllaaahhhh...you got frikin Mazda B-Series!!!!! Of coarse the DSM engine has ports the make the B-Series look like pea shooters. The BPT GTR engine has rods that are beefier than the 6-bolt 4G63's though. My old GTX rods gave the 6-bolt rods a run for there money size wise! Of coarse the EVO does have 4 doors & a warranty :wink:

You'll be happy either way.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
lowflyinmx3

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

sorry about the weigh issue, i went out and looked at the '66 instead of the mx (typin in 2 different forums at once). brain fade my bad. the warranty in really whats selling me on the evo, because i beat the ever loving piss out of my cars (the way it should be lol). i haven't beat on the mx here lately cuz it's so good on gas, but when i do it just doesn't hold up like my other rides cuz it'll break something everytime. i think having a warranty would be the best for me. plus the evo has a bigger market than the bpt.
Rayted_m

Post by Rayted_m »

stick with the mazda and forget about the evo. there is so many performance parts for this car that you would be surprise. i have a t3/t4 turbo capable of doin 500-600 whp. there is no way any one would be able to stop me. a VIDEO will be coming soon. check out my car domain and check out a real mx3. no pictures of the engine yet but exterior work is good. i dont have a pic of my RH rims with my car.
**~Rayted-M~**
Team **~N.M.E~**
**~CROWN LEGION~** Caloboration
MX-3 Civic head light conversion
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/688645

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”