Help with Idle Issues

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Help with Idle Issues

Post by johnnyb »

Hey I finally finished my ZE swap and fired it up. The problem I'm having is that it idles at 3500 rpm.

I've done a search on the forums and only come up with low or bouncing idle issues not extremely high idle issues. Does anyone know a fix for this?

I'd really love to get this fixed asap and try out the new power.

Thanks.

Edit: I currently have the EGR vacuum tubes disconnected and I'm hoping this isnt what causes the high idle.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

John, pm me your Phone number and we could go over a few things that way. Might end up being quicker while waiting for various replies.

John
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Either an open vacuum nipple needs to be plugged, or your throttle cable needs to be let out. Those are really the only two viable explanations.
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

yeah I found the egr nipple has a hole in it so I'm waiting for the junk yard over here to open so i can go grab a new egr valve.

If that doesnt fix it I'll surely pm you js because I am dying to drive this thing.
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

fixed the problem. Found a leak that I didnt notice before. Now I just need to fix the throttle. They hit it with something and bent everything so it sticks and doesnt close all the way I figure thats an easy enough fix. And I need to fix my grounding. The car shuts off mid driving and theres no power whatsoever.

But all in all what a difference in power.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

johnnyb wrote:fixed the problem. Found a leak that I didnt notice before. Now I just need to fix the throttle. They hit it with something and bent everything so it sticks and doesnt close all the way I figure thats an easy enough fix. And I need to fix my grounding. The car shuts off mid driving and theres no power whatsoever.
But all in all what a difference in power.
Ya, the throttle cams on the TB can get bent if the importer is not carefull enough since they do stick out above everything else. I've seen a few that were slightly bent at an importers too. After those get true'd up, it will probably be necessary to adjust those throttle cam set screw stop positions as part of the TPS adjust procedure.
Car shutting off mid driving??? Was the cam belts changed as part of the ZE intstall ( a very highly recommended procedure BTW)? If so, than perhaps the belt is off by a tooth or so and might be the source of the shutting off. Was the K8 coolant filler neck with the extra coolant thermosensor migrated from your old K8 to the ZE when the belt install was done (again, a strongly recommended procedure to follow)?

John
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”