What to do, my girlfriend lost her key?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
schurchill39

What to do, my girlfriend lost her key?

Post by schurchill39 »

My girlfriend is a new mx-3 owner and she lost the only key that came with her car a week ago. Its a 1992 GS. I called up a couple lock smiths but they all wanted rediculous prices (close 100 CND) to cut a new key if I took out the lock and brought it to them. One of the locksmiths said that if I called up the dealership with her vin and info, they would give me a code that they could cut a key from (40 CND). I called but when I gave the number to the locksmith they said it wasnt the right code (it was something along the lines of 00720770).

Does any one have a key code book that if I gave them the vin they could give me the code.

OR..

Worst case senario (I really dont want to do this) how do I take out the locks from the door?

I am open to any other options.

Thanks for your help guys!
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Take the vin code to your local mazda dealer... proof of ownership such as the registration or title may be required.. but they can cut you a new key for it usually for less than $15 US. I had this done for my Mazda truck less than 6 months ago.. so I know the mazda dealership can do it. Are you able to get into the car now or is it locked? Your VIN # is located in 2 places within the car.. one up on the dash under the windshield on the drivers side of the car and the other just inside the door on the B pillar face just above the door latch. Also your Registration or the Title should also have the VIN #. Hope this helps

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

the code for the key should be 10 numbers. Our cars use the Mazda/Ford 10 cut system. The number they gave you is wrong or is missing 2 numbers.
schurchill39

Post by schurchill39 »

We dont have a mazda dealship persay where I live. We have a dealership that also sells mazda cars though, I suppose I could go down there and try. Would the ford dealship also work seeing as its the probes counter part?

The only proof of ownership she has is the bill of sale, will that suffice? The cars not locked so we can still get in and out. We just cant start it.

So I should copy down the vin and bring her with me to one of the dealerships and they will cut a key?
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

At the end of the day $100 for the locksmith is the best bet. They should come to you - try another couple.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
schurchill39

Post by schurchill39 »

Yea they should come to me but unfortunately every one I have talked to in town here said I will need to bring it to them

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”