VARIPOWER TUNER Mazda MX-3.. does it work?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
nexus

VARIPOWER TUNER Mazda MX-3.. does it work?

Post by nexus »

Hi!

I bought this "tuning" kit beneath, from ebay, and I'm thinking of mounting it now, but I have runned into a couple of problems that I hope some of you might solve :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... L:RTQ:US:1

Basically it works as follows:
The air temperatur sencor needs to be cut, and is then mounted onto a boost controller which will then adjust the fuel/air mixture of the car. Read more on the link above.

I must admit I'm very sceptical to whether or not this will actually work, as I believe the only thing it will do is increase my gas costs :D

But onto my question:
Where in all the world is my Air Intake temperature sencor (IAT)?
It seems to me like the thing is integrated into the unit beneath. Is that correct?

I've attached a series of pictures from my car in order for you to more easily see what I mean:

I believe this is the thing where my IAT is placed, together with 3 other cables?

Or could it be that it's places on this one?
Cheers!
Kristoffer :)

Visit my website about Mazda Sports Cars (MX-3, MX-5, MX-6, RX-7, RX-8) at MazdaSport.org/forum
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

You are correct. The IAT is contained within the VAF, which is what's illustrated in the first pic. Second pic is of your TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) attached to the side of your TB (Throttle Body). I'm a little leary of those fly by night advertisements in Ebay that "guarantee" "X" amount of hp gains. If it's too good to be true ...yadda yadda yadda. That said, I've never heard of that particular performance item. Although, you just lost some performance hp's by introducing your air intake into a very hot air source - the engine bay. Funny though, you're looking for performance enhancements yet, you've gone the opposite direction by doing that intake mod. Try a search on "CAI"
John
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Its basically the same as the resistor mod, but this one is variable.

Another radio shack BS part. You will basically be telling the ECU more air is comming in causing the ECU to dump more fuel.
nexus

Post by nexus »

jschrauwen wrote:You are correct. The IAT is contained within the VAF, which is what's illustrated in the first pic.
Okey, that's what I thought too. Then my biggest question was answered :lol:
As I said, I'm sceptical to this power gain myself, but I fugured out it could be worth a try since it's only 10 bucks. I'll let you guys know how it all goes.

Although, you just lost some performance hp's by introducing your air intake into a very hot air source - the engine bay. Funny though, you're looking for performance enhancements yet, you've gone the opposite direction by doing that intake mod. Try a search on "CAI"
John

Hehe.... I'm actually aware of that myself :D
I figured that out pretty fast.... 'cause my 0-60 increased from my initially 8.3 sec to 10.0... so after having read some articles it suddenly hit me that the engine bay was a "little" to hot for my filter... as it basically would suck in really hot air.

I want to fix that issue, and have been thinking of a cold air intake... but they're expensive here in norway (around 250$) so I'll have to wait until my paycheck arrives next month before I can buy one (I'll do a search in here to see which ones people recommends).

I'm also thinking of adding a exhaust system... REMUS probably, as they have some good ones. Unsure how much powergain there is though..

I'm thinking of maybe buying this car: http://www3.autodb.no/cgi-bin/car/detail.pl?nr=1106520 (isn't it beauty!) so I'm unsure how much I'll spend on my old 1994 model. But he wants 15000$ for it (yeah, I know: Cars are EXPENSIVE here... sucks so dang much!)
Cheers!

Visit my website about Mazda Sports Cars (MX-3, MX-5, MX-6, RX-7, RX-8) at MazdaSport.org/forum
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

nexus, you can get (make) a CAI for a fraction of the amount you mentioned. Carefully do a search for CAI. I just posted some links to some very informative threads that will explain which Ebay CAI you can utilize (modify) to work nicely in our engine bays. There are loads of pics of variuos members with slightly different variations of the same thing. Basically, I believe an Integra ('90 - '93) CAI can be had from ebay for sometimes as little as $30usd and the shipping is ususally the kicker. But all and all, even shipped to Canada was about $55usd and to you it may be very slightly more .... but not much. Again, look to a post I made within the last week or 2 or do a search with CAI as your search parameter in the V6 performance section. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Another viable alternative would be to acquire a K&N filter for the OEM airbox, improve upon the seal between the rad snorkel and the airbox joining point and you'll have in essance - a CAI. The factory already made one for us, so to speak. Improving on the filter in that airbox can do wonders. I used the same K&N filter for 9 years. Talk about saving $$$$ with improved performance. g/l
John
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
nexus

Post by nexus »

@jschrauwen: Thanks!

Man, I have never in my whole life seen so many topics about CAI :D
But I will not wasting your time by asking you to do the searches for me.

I did a search, and after having read through about 15 topics, I know have a good understanding of what needs to be done, and how to achieve this.

Installation instructions:
I'll follow this post of hoodzy: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... ht=hoodzys
Going for option2:
- Buying the Integra 1.8L 90-93 CAI kit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-93-AC ... 8076305635
- Buying this converter to the VAF: http://www.streetimports.com/product_details.asp?id=844
- Performance filter: Already bought! (RaidHP)

Thanks for all the info guys. Now I just need one of you to tell me that the parts I have listed above is the ones I need for my stock Mazda MX-3 1.8L V6 1994-model...? What kind of oil, glube etc do I need to fit the kit with?

Thanks!
Cheers!

jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

nexus wrote:@jschrauwen: Thanks!
Man, I have never in my whole life seen so many topics about CAI :D
But I will not wasting your time by asking you to do the searches for me.
I did a search, and after having read through about 15 topics, I know have a good understanding of what needs to be done, and how to achieve this.
Installation instructions:
I'll follow this post of hoodzy: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... ht=hoodzys
Going for option2:
- Buying the Integra 1.8L 90-93 CAI kit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-93-AC ... 8076305635
- Buying this converter to the VAF: http://www.streetimports.com/product_details.asp?id=844
- Performance filter: Already bought! (RaidHP)
Thanks for all the info guys. Now I just need one of you to tell me that the parts I have listed above is the ones I need for my stock Mazda MX-3 1.8L V6 1994-model...? What kind of oil, glube etc do I need to fit the kit with?
Thanks!
Nexus, no problem, glad I could. Excellent search results too. And, excellent choices too for the Integra CAI, coupler and Hoodzy's step by step. Termination location is an excellent choice as there is enough protection in the fender well for the filter. You can even take it one step further. There is also a shield that would sleeve over the aluminum tubing and basically seal that area in the fender well. I believe they are easily found on an ebay search for a CAI for the MX3 but for the I4 engine. Last time I did a query with a vender I asked if I could purchase that plate separately and they couldn't at the time. It's been a while and maybe they are available separately now ...... I just haven't looked in a long time. That would be the perfect finishing touch to the CAI by having that sealing plate seal the fender well and in essance create an in-engine bay airbox. You can feel with your hand in the fender well that thre is a large enough pre-cut hole facing forward to edequately supply cool air from outside the engine bay. Pretty inexpensive Integra CAI, isn't it. But again the shipping is a bit of a mind boggler. Anyway, excellent choices all around and good luck on your mod.

John
nexus

Post by nexus »

jschrauwen wrote:That would be the perfect finishing touch to the CAI by having that sealing plate seal the fender well and in essance create an in-engine bay airbox. You can feel with your hand in the fender well that thre is a large enough pre-cut hole facing forward to edequately supply cool air from outside the engine bay. Pretty inexpensive Integra CAI, isn't it. But again the shipping is a bit of a mind boggler. Anyway, excellent choices all around and good luck on your mod.

John
Hmmm... Okey, if I understood you correct this sealing is supposed to be attached right above the powerfilter, so that the place where the coolant overflow is stock mounted (before doing this mod), will be sealed to avoid hot air coming down to the filter?

Take a look at pic number 5 on Hoodzys topic to see what I mean. In the midst of that picture you'll see the place where the powerfilter is placed, and if I understood you correct you suggested that the sealing was placed over the hole that the tube goes down into.

Sorry if I'm wrong, but I'm not that fluent with technical english yet, and so I need to guess sometimes what those words of yours means :lol:
Cheers!

jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

nexus wrote: Hmmm... Okey, if I understood you correct this sealing is supposed to be attached right above the powerfilter, so that the place where the coolant overflow is stock mounted (before doing this mod), will be sealed to avoid hot air coming down to the filter?
Take a look at pic number 5 on Hoodzys topic to see what I mean. In the midst of that picture you'll see the place where the powerfilter is placed, and if I understood you correct you suggested that the sealing was placed over the hole that the tube goes down into.
Sorry if I'm wrong, but I'm not that fluent with technical english yet, and so I need to guess sometimes what those words of yours means :lol:
That's correct. Your basically sealing that small confined space of the fender well where the tube goes into and where the filter will reside. It's nearly a flat plate that has two 90 degree sides to it and the other sides follow the contour the outside and rearward parts of that fender well cavity. The CAI intakes on ebay for MX3's I4's might have them included in their kit. Note* A quick search and it appears that I can't find them on ebay at present. Oh well. Can always make one out of very thin aluminum plate after making cardboard template that will have a hole though it for the intake pipe.
noreaga0221

Post by noreaga0221 »

You just bought a $.25 POT from radio shack for $10 on ebay. It tricks your car into thinking its colder our to change the maps and add some timing. Without any datalogging to make sure nothing bad it happened, I wouldn't touch it.
Pentathlon

Re: VARIPOWER TUNER Mazda MX-3.. does it work?

Post by Pentathlon »

nexus wrote:Hi!

I bought this "tuning" kit beneath, from ebay, and I'm thinking of mounting it now,
Hi Nexus!
Did you fit this? Any gains problems? Thinking about fitting myself...
Cheers
TRYING NOT TO BLOW MY CAR UP...failing miserably...
'93 1.8 V6
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Pentathlon wrote: Thinking about fitting myself...Cheers
A bit of a contridiction I would say based on your sig ......
'93 1.8 V6
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

jschrauwen wrote:
Pentathlon wrote: Thinking about fitting myself...Cheers
A bit of a contridiction I would say based on your sig ......
'93 1.8 V6
:2thumbsup: hahaha

:bowdown: ---> Jbeef
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
Pentathlon

still here...

Post by Pentathlon »

still here...that's BOTH me AND the car... still trying though...
What's the norm for top speed on an unaltered 1.8 V6?
Got to 130mph then decided I was LESS keen on sprawling myself across the track... is 140 about top?
'93 1.8 V6
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Re: still here...

Post by jschrauwen »

Pentathlon wrote:still here...that's BOTH me AND the car... still trying though...
What's the norm for top speed on an unaltered 1.8 V6?
Got to 130mph then decided I was LESS keen on sprawling myself across the track... is 140 about top?
Have you tried looking up the specs on the MX-3.com homepage? I also take it that you've gotten into the ECU and cut the speed limiter wire too then because those speeds are unobtainable due to the 185-190 km/hr speed limiter.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”