cold air intake pipes on a mazda mx-3 1.6 4cyl DOHC

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
kami_no_michi

cold air intake pipes on a mazda mx-3 1.6 4cyl DOHC

Post by kami_no_michi »

hi all im new to the forum and have just bought a mazda mx-3 1.6 dohc.

one of the spotlights on the passenger side was smashed when i bought the car, i got told that they are not needed for the mot so i was wondering if i could fit 2 cold air intake pipes in the spotlights place. im not very good with the mechanical phrases and in all honesty i know bugger all about car mechanics. wot i was wondering is has anyone done this b4 and how hard would it be to fit them.

sorry that im a newb when it comes to this stuff but ive liked mazda mx-3 for a long time. i could have got a different car sooner as it would have beend cheaper for me insurance but now ive got one i really want to make it stand out from the crowd as i havent seen many mx-3 in the uk and especially where i live. any feedback and help would really appreciated. thanks alot guys and gals
reaper of souls

Post by reaper of souls »

it's an idea that i had aswell but i would have to change front bumpers to get the fog light holes but you can run some 3" motorhome sewage piping (it not pvc piping) from the passenger side to the drivers side into a "t" connector linked to the driverside foglight then into the driverside wheelwell (there is a opening under your overflow tank). NOw comes the fun part you can either keep your factory airbox and make a hole to connect it to the piping you just ran. Or your can get a heatsheilded air filter like mine and hookthe end of the pipe to the heat sheild. now last option i have is to use a k&n style air filter and i 90degeree section of pipe. attach one end of the pipe to the maf and the air filter to the other side now before piping it into the wheel well you need to make a plastic cover that will incase the airfliter and attach to the 3" piping . this set up will not only yeild you with a cold air intake but also ram air at heigher speeds.

s--- now that i look at what i put for you i think i put more in to this project then i thought !!!

oh well hope that helps a bit

Reaper
Greg
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
kami_no_michi

Post by kami_no_michi »

will it pay to buy a new from bumper and fit it with a micro mesh as to not get any crap going through the cold air intakes into the engine??
reaper of souls

you can do that but i don't know how long the mesh would last with road debire hittting it i would just get a air filter made of steel (thats what mine is) that way there is no need for recharge kits only other thing i would get would be a by-pass air filter just before the maf to cut down on water being takin in to the engine on rainy days or make a cover to go over the openings. you can make them so that when they are on there is a slight space between the cover and the pipe that way you can still have a bit of ram air with out the water.

Reaper
Greg
Image 96 X-90 4x4, 16v custom ram air intake lockers front and rear with 5.83 ring and pinion.
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

Just turbo it lol. That will give you power :P
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
For BPT Frorums - http://www.aokforums.com/mazdaengines/
reaper of souls

i think by the sounds of it were going for the les expensive way but this mod would make a turbo set up run better as well !

Reaper
kami_no_michi

Post by kami_no_michi »

i brought the piping and i got a y connector instead of a t connector. is this a problem. and here is where i sound a true car newb wot is a maf??? i got told to buy a y connector cus apparentyl it does the same as to connector but it just makes air flow more easily. also TURBO I DIDNT EVEN KNOW YOU COULD FIT TURBOS ON 1.6 wouldnt it be pointless though and incredibly expensive. my car has 105thousand miles on the clock and think a turbo would put to much of a strain on the engine. plus i wouwldnt even know where to find a turbo and manifold that fits my mx-3 and the final problem would be, wouldnt i need a new ecu??? and after all this i bet the turbo could only run at 5psi so the gain would be little for th price and effort i put into the car.

ps steel air filter. dont suppose u know a website where i can get them??

reaper of souls do u have msn or something as i would really like to talk to u more as it seems u know your stuff about mx-3 dohc and i would really find it very helpfull to talk to u

oh btw my car is on a p-reg so its like 1995-1996 plates if that makes any difference to the set up.
reaper of souls

cool a y connector will work just fine as for the air filter this is the website for the ractive filter i have you can check out canadian tire (if your in canada) for the filter or ebay
http://www.toucanindustries.com/index.p ... s=15,15,36

my msn is soulreaver2001@hotmail.com so you can add me i'm not on it that much but even if you pm me here i'll try and get back to you as fast as i can.

i try and know a lot about my car but that just because i've run into a hole lot of problems mines just starting to round the clock at 300k mark so if you run in to a problem it's a good chance that i've all ready had it to

but on this fourm if you ask there is alot of good people here to help out they've been the ones keeping my ride going.

but i've just finshed making a short ram intake for mine and soon i'll have a cold air attachment and pics up soon

Reaper
Greg
reaper of souls

i found a few on ebay for you aswell http://search.ebay.ca/search/search.dll ... =&saprchi=

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”