Cleaning Block passageways, any ideas?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Cleaning Block passageways, any ideas?

Post by Bumpysbro »

What can i use to clean out those passageways in my block? they are all gunked up with crap and i wana clean them out before i stick my new gasket on. my dad mentioned using a hose and just flushing water through it would that work?
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

get a brush used to clean out gun barrels, i wouldent use water in the oil passeges, or solvent in the coolant passages, just in case it dosent compleatly dry, but i dont see a problem if your patient.. i know im not
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

ahh ok thnx what is all that build up anywayz? is it just goop or what? its a light brownish color
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

i mean, in the oil it could be sludge, baked oil... ect..

in the coolant it oculd be mineral deposits.. not sure what elts. all i know its not good for it to be there
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

ya but whats weird we tried putting on the head gasket but the holes dont line up? like more the half of the water passageways are blocked cuz theres no openings on the gasket? i have a B5 head and my block is a B6 so is there a diff head gasket for it?
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

i am out of my league on this one... i didnt know B5 heads fit

this is just guessing...

i would rather have my water passages blocked than oil, as long as oil is getting to the head... good. a head can survive without coolant...the block cant, but the head can. on the other hand, neither can survive without oil.

like i said tho im just guessing
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

Yeah I am questioning too. Why the B5 head and how. Any diff in power. Tell me some info. I am knowledge hungry on this one.
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
For BPT Frorums - http://www.aokforums.com/mazdaengines/
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

ya it doesnt make much since, they all line up but the gasket doesnt. Im not sure if there is any power difference between the two. i just need to find a new gasket but i dunno who would sell it i guess dealer. ive been researching it but cant find too much about it
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

Well bumpy it seems pretty interesting keep me informed. I'm always about soaking up info and ideas. You can do anything if ya put your mind to it. It might have a better top end if it is a newer engine style i am guessing right. The 95 and up Protege.
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
For BPT Frorums - http://www.aokforums.com/mazdaengines/
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

well im not sure i got the car in very bad condition and i kinda ran the hell out of it. but we will see after i finish my rebuild. i would think it would just a stronger head to handle more.
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

if the passages match i dont see why you couldent drill holes through a gasket
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

ya i would think u could, im taking my head and the gasket backinto the shop tomorrow and see what we can do...cuz otherwise id have to buy one from the deaer i would think..
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

it could just turn out to be a poorly reaserched gasket
xmaster19

Post by xmaster19 »

The b5 head as you say... is the same as your B6 head. I'd say pop-up your valve cover and check on the cams whats written there. If it still says B5 then you know you have a B5 head. If it's anything else, then forget about the B5 head.

For your general knowledge, the B5-ze engine (95+ 323 GS, Autozam AZ-3, Eunos Presso) shares the exact same head with the B6-DE. Dont be scared, it's completely normal. The B5 is a debored version of the B6. Head gaskets are the same on both engines.
92 MX-3 RS RIP

94 MX-3 RS Black
Project car, hybrid B5-ZET build-up.
Boris

Post by Boris »

I had the same situation kind of. For me two part stores gave me the wrong head, so finally on the third try I got one that was really close, except some of the water passageways were getting blocked. I just drilled some holes where they were supposed to be any everything's been holding up fine ever since (10 000km and still running good)

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”