zetec in a mx-3?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
forcedairram

zetec in a mx-3?

Post by forcedairram »

Just wanted to let everyone know that the sleeper is getting a bumpup in displacement, muahaha. My sister wrecked her zx-2, unlucky for her but lucky for me, if everything checks out OK im dropping it into my mx-3. Yippie!!!
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

i was in the exact same situation, except my sister put a trailer hitch right through the radiator and exhaust manifold and nearly tore the head off the engine... fair to say i no longer felt the engine was satisfactory

poor zx2.. used to be my baby
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

good luck fitting that motor in. i hated swaping that engine in a ford contour i thought it was a POS but i just didn't like the way ford placed that engine in the engine bay. i just swap the same engine with a replacement.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
forcedairram

wow

Post by forcedairram »

That sounds exactly whats wrong with the one in my sisters car, eshaust mani is sitting in the middle of the radiator and valve cover is cracked, either of which is easily replacable.
forcedairram

motormounts

Post by forcedairram »

motormounts are easy to custom make, I cant see any complicated issues in the swapping process, seems like all the mounts are in realativly the same places on both the bp and the zetec.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

that BPT has better potincal that that zetec engine. replace the enginme with a n/a bp.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
xmaster19

Post by xmaster19 »

A Zetec would be out of the ordinary mx-3 swapper route. Try to guess why I have a B5-ZE...
92 MX-3 RS RIP

94 MX-3 RS Black
Project car, hybrid B5-ZET build-up.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

xmaster19 wrote:A Zetec would be out of the ordinary mx-3 swapper route. Try to guess why I have a B5-ZE...
ITS not like i have seen the swap before there is a fellow mx-3 where i live that did that b5-ze. 2nd gen protege right. i still kick his a--. its not like am dising the guy for doing a different swap than normal.
Nd4SpdSe

Re: motormounts

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

forcedairram wrote:motormounts are easy to custom make, I cant see any complicated issues in the swapping process, seems like all the mounts are in realativly the same places on both the bp and the zetec.
How about tranny, axles and wiring, etc...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

if the vavle cover is cracked and the exhaust manifold is qeustionable, then befor you swap take the head off and have it and the block tested for being level. cause if it hit the engine hard enough to crack the valve cover the head prolly isnt sitting correctly on the block, causeing all sorts of trouble.
forcedairram

parts

Post by forcedairram »

all of the mechanical parts will be swapped with the zetec, as far as electrical goes why use any stock computer when I can drop in a standalone in the same amount of time? and actually i believe that the zetec has more potential that a na bp, as far as a bpt already been there and f@$%ed up just about everyone around here with it, although it was a 16 g turbo and a standalone, as far as ordinary, who wants to be ordinary, I enjoy the challenge of being different. havnt really seen to many people with a zetec engine in a mx. Not to say I wont install a giant turbo in the future, but for now ijust want to see how fast I can get the stock zetec :twisted:
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Limegreen mx-3 wrote:that BPT has better potincal that that zetec engine. replace the enginme with a n/a bp.
I always hate arguing on the internet, but you are nuts. The Zetec is newer and has a much larger aftermarket and manufactures research and development into it. I read a while ago in one of the varried tuning magazines i used to read (i forgot which one, i want to say turbo but it was an N/A buildup) but they cranked about 300 hp out of a N/A zetec and there was still room to pull more out of it as well.

They can be turboed really well too, hell there are more off the shelf parts for this thing than the BP.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

iam into mazda's or any type of import. not much of a fan on dom. so my knowege is limited in that area i now enought to work on them but ford in not my biggest fan torpedan. but am not going to argue or this subject. newer tech. & engines are better than the old. so am up to knowing new things.
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Apparently it has been done 2 or 3 times already... this is according to a previous post asking the same thing- and the response was by Vaughn Nishimura (Yoda).

I, personally, would like to see pics of this.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

I bet there hs been a weird swap here and there on an mx-3. i wouldn't doubt it. Nice that you got a complete wrekecked car with all your needs to parts. But good luck. It ain't gonna be easy stepping into the so called fog of swaps for the mx3.
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
For BPT Frorums - http://www.aokforums.com/mazdaengines/

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”