speedo cable

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
alanbobalan

speedo cable

Post by alanbobalan »

well, first of all i have a 92 mx-3 with a 4 cylinder engine and manual tranny.

anyway, a while ago my speedometer sort of took a crap and only works part of the time. when it does work, it is real "shaky." it tends to want to work under acceleration and takes a crap when i hit the brakes or slow down.

the trip meter and the odometer are also affected in the same way.

my best guess is that the speedometer cable is loose, but correct me if i'm wrong. i'm hoping this will be an easy fix.

someone please enlighten me! all thoughts, comments, solutions, and ideas welcome.

8)
92 mx-3 with lots of body damage
98 toyota tacoma 4x4 3.4 v6
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Go have a look and see if its loose. Seeing thats what you think is wrong with it, it seems a pretty good place to start. Let us know what you find.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005)

Post by ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005) »

Thinking back to when I replaced my clutch, the 94 + mx-3's dont have a speedo cable, we have a speed sensor, mounted on top of the tranny towards the back (close to the firewall). you have to remove 2 bolts to add gear oil, I would check this first make sure its mounted correctly wires intact maybe pull it out to make sure the gear is not stripped, good luck!
Apexi Safc 2 ,Timex Boost-Temp-Oil Gauges, Stage 1 Performance clutch, 8.5 mm Magnacore plug Wires,2.5 inch exhaust, Cold Air Intake , Short Shifter , High temp rotors & Ceramic pads to slow it all down !
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

sounds electrical, not mechanical... i would be willing to say its more likely something effecting your readouts, not the imputs from the sensors
MX-3.com
Site Administrator
antispam: No

Post by MX-3.com »

Read his original post. He says has a 92 4-Cyl, which from what I recall is indeed a mechanical connection, using a speedo cable, not sensors.
ImageJeff Aycan - Site & Forum Owner/Administrator
2003 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro Sedan (Brilliant Black)
2004 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T (Light Silver Metallic)
2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R (Lime Green/Ebony)
SOLD - 1995 MX-3 Precidia RS (Blaze Red)
SOLD - 2000 Honda Civic Si (Vogue Silver Metallic)
SOLD - 2005 Honda CR-V LX AWD (Redondo Red Pearl)

Please Help Support MX-3.com - (Contact me for MX-3.com Decal Purchases)
alanbobalan

Post by alanbobalan »

MX-3.com wrote:Read his original post. He says has a 92 4-Cyl, which from what I recall is indeed a mechanical connection, using a speedo cable, not sensors.
ditto. i have a 92 4 cylinder. the speedo cable is indeed a mechanical connection.

this might sound like a dumb question, but i have little to no experience under the dash and fixing stuff in the gauge cluster. can someone point me in the right direction? where is the speedo cable? how do i tighten it? i just need some enlightenment and i should be able to figure it out from there. doesn't sound too difficult.
92 mx-3 with lots of body damage
98 toyota tacoma 4x4 3.4 v6
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

alanbobalan - what made you think it was loose?

Check the connection to the gearbox. If that looks ok, disconnect it and inspect it. Try to pull the centre cable out. My guess is the cable is broken.

If thats all ok you'll have to pull it out the back of the instrument cluster and do the same thing.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

In order to pull it (the cluster) out of the dash, you will need to disconnect it (the speedo-cable) at the tranny anyway. Otherwise, it (the cluster) will not pull back far enough to get your hand behind the cluster to unhook it.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Kuromu

Post by Kuromu »

I had a similar problem with my 93 and it did turn out to be that the speedo cable retention clip was not clipped on all the way at the cluster. This is a rounded clip that wraps around the actual cluster-end of the cable.

You can also reach up from the bottom of the dash to get to it, though you need to be comfortable working in tight spaces to do that. Removing the lower dash panel makes it easier. Otherwise, disconnect at the tranny and pull the cluster out slowly and carefully.

I have never pulled the cluster out while the speedo was still attached, so I do not know how much stress that connection can take.
93 MX3 RS BP 2.0 // 87 RX7 HKS Turbo
xmaster19

Post by xmaster19 »

The speedo cable can split in 2 parts. I do not suggest this, but if you pull hard on one end of the cable, don't be afraid you broke something. And this can be your problem too.

I would definitely check the connection at the rear of your cluster.

I've seen broken clusters real often too.
92 MX-3 RS RIP

94 MX-3 RS Black
Project car, hybrid B5-ZET build-up.
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

talking bout speed sensors i am going to a mechanical and is totally clueless. I got a 95 with an electronic speed sensor, got a protege tranny I am putting in. Corksport said something about a conversion, while we are on the subject does anyone know a cure for this problem.
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
For BPT Frorums - http://www.aokforums.com/mazdaengines/
94_MX-3

Post by 94_MX-3 »

not trying to steal this thread but, i recently just changed my clutch and since the speedo cable is connected to the trans you have to disconnect it and now the mechanic at the shop doesnt know how to re-connect it, can anyone help me or show me a pic of how it looks connected.. Thanks In Advance
xmaster19

Post by xmaster19 »

MechaManZero :

Are you changing the wire harness for the Protegé one too?
I did the same thing with my 94 RS. You need a 92-93 cluster with the mechanical speed cable. Find somewhere to put it through, the hole is already in your firewall, next to your brake master, it has a plastic cover over it.

You'll need to modify the 92-93 cluster to accept the 94-up cluster brackets. Actually it's quite simple, the brackets are going over plastic tracks, and the tracks from your 94-up cluster are just a little bit longer. I used a flat screwdriver and some caveman brightness (read : hit it with the screwdriver until the tracks are short enough).

To put it all back together, start by connecting the cable at the back of your cluster, plug the 3 wire harnesses behind the cluster at the same place, then put everything back in place. Go under the hood and put the speed sensor back in it's hole. You wont be able to do it another way without breaking something.

If you're not changing the wire harness, remove the speed sensor from the old tranny and put it back in the Protegé tranny. It bolts right up. Then plug the wires back. Good luck!

94_MX-3 :

The speed cable can disconnect 2 different ways from the tranny. There is a bolt next to the speed sensor, if you unbolt it, you can remove the full speed sensor assembly by pulling it up and turning it left and right in the same move. In the worst case, pry it up with a flat screwdriver, but you can break the metal tab where the bolt goes. When you wanna put it back in, reverse process.

The cable can also unscrew itself from the speed sensor. It's kinda hard to do it this way because the is no swivel connector on the cable, so you need to turn the cable in its full lenght to be able to do this.

I hope this helps you guys. If you need more infos, just PM me.
92 MX-3 RS RIP

94 MX-3 RS Black
Project car, hybrid B5-ZET build-up.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

wtf?

This guys got a problem wth his speedo.
not trying to steal this thread but, i recently
What planet are some of the responses coming from???? \

MechaManZero :

Are you changing the wire harness for the Protegé one too?
I did the same thing with my 94 RS. You need a 92-93 cluster with the mechanical speed cable. Find somewhere to put it through, the hole is already in your firewall, next to your brake master, it has a plastic cover over it.

You'll need to modify the 92-93 cluster to accept the 94-up cluster brackets. Actually it's quite simple, the brackets are going over plastic tracks, and the tracks from your 94-up cluster are just a little bit longer. I used a flat screwdriver and some caveman brightness (read : hit it with the screwdriver until the tracks are short enough).

To put it all back together, start by connecting the cable at the back of your cluster, plug the 3 wire harnesses behind the cluster at the same place, then put everything back in place. Go under the hood and put the speed sensor back in it's hole. You wont be able to do it another way without breaking something.

If you're not changing the wire harness, remove the speed sensor from the old tranny and put it back in the Protegé tranny. It bolts right up. Then plug the wires back. Good luck!

94_MX-3 :

The speed cable can disconnect 2 different ways from the tranny. There is a bolt next to the speed sensor, if you unbolt it, you can remove the full speed sensor assembly by pulling it up and turning it left and right in the same move. In the worst case, pry it up with a flat screwdriver, but you can break the metal tab where the bolt goes. When you wanna put it back in, reverse process.

The cable can also unscrew itself from the speed sensor. It's kinda hard to do it this way because the is no swivel connector on the cable, so you need to turn the cable in its full lenght to be able to do this.
Your kidding right? Not much to do with the question....

HOW does this represent mx-3.com being an expert at ANYTHING?
Last edited by Grants on June 1st, 2006, 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Last edited by Grants on June 1st, 2006, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”