bp tranny

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
WingleBeast

bp tranny

Post by WingleBeast »

what transmission (manual of course) would be best to use with a BP? i have heard the B6 (stock) transmissions cant handle alot of upgrade in HP on the BP but i have also heard the protege bp transmissions are crap and arnt built well for speed.
xmaster19

Post by xmaster19 »

Best to use with your BP?? Depend of the use you'll be making out of your car.

BP trannies have shorter gearing, and you'll be running 4000rpms at 120 kph.

B6 trannies can hold the power of your car very well, alot of my friends are running this setup since 2+ years.

I'd say use your stock tranny if you dont get a deal for a BP one.
92 MX-3 RS RIP

94 MX-3 RS Black
Project car, hybrid B5-ZET build-up.
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

I am using my stock B6 tranny with no problems. Do yourself a favor and get a stronger clutch, however, to hold the power of the BP since it has about 40 more HP than the B6.

:wink:
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

i have the bp with the f-series trans for going on a year holding up so far on a stock clutch.

as far as a better trans than the bp trans or (G-series trans) i heard that the kia trans have the same bolt pattern and are phyical bigger and stronger than the bp trans. RIC at RM is looking into the kia trans since the PR guys are using the kia trans with there 600hp BP's. the 475whp mx-3 finally blew the bp trans strange since the autozone axles are still holding up.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

They two trannies are very diffrent, I personally would run with a BP tranny for it shorter gearing and that a B6 is easier to kill with wheel hop. I only know this from having gone threw two of them. :)
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

I am guessing i would totally blow my b6 tranny with a bpt turned to 16 psi. But yeah. I already blew it with a stock B6. :werd:
Çlark
95 Mazda MX3 4 Banger
Currently: H&R Lowering springs, BPT from a GTR, 18.5x6x3.5 same side inlet and outlet intercooler, Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
For BPT Frorums - http://www.aokforums.com/mazdaengines/
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

awsome guys thats all i needed, so BP trans it is.

sounds good for the better acceleration and strength, i plan on rebuilding a BP with a stroker kit for 2.0 and boosting it eventually so sounds like staying stock would be bad...

to bad i already bought a clutch for my B6...

and limegreen... im interested in the kia tranny keep us updated or at least tell us where we can be informed
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

uhh keep you informed?

It bolts right up. Its the SAME tranny.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

atlantamx3 wrote:It bolts right up. Its the SAME tranny.
the 1st gen kia 94-97 sophia are pretty much the same looking BP & trans bolted up the same way the mazda protege LX is.

the 2nd gen kia sophia 98-02( i think) have sutlle difference it looks like it will bolts up to the engine but thats where the same tranny ends atlantamx3. (it is also bolted up differenly than the way mazda did ist kia's way)

u 'll have to use the front kia trans bracket u'll have to use the LX rear bracket since kia had it bolt up simlar to a honda/mitsu for the rear trans mount. the upper side trans mount/bracket is very different to the lx mount/bracket for it to work u'll need the LX mount/bracket to for the kia trans to bolt up in the mazda engine bay. the kia has it set up like the way mazda main motor mounts are. wierd but thats how kia did it.

the 98 kia trans looks different than the protege lx trans

this is the trans that the guys in PRico are using for there high HP BP's i got pic that i have to upload and can check out the differnce for urself's.

laters Limegreen MX-3
Last edited by Limegreen mx-3 on June 11th, 2006, 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

The F-Series B6 box is shorter gearing in 1st n 2nd and monster taller gearing in 4th n 5th, 3rd seemed pretty close to being the same. Spider gears are weaker than the Pro-LX's. I've broke 2 F's with the old B6T setup and VJ13/14 hybrid. The MX-3 F's also use a smaller clutch n flywheel than the Pro-LX's.

The Pro-LX's spyder gears are good for around 300lb/ft of torque on average w/ stock lubricants and no wheel hop. After replacing the diff w/ a LSD setup they are reliable up to around 400-450lb/ft with no wheel hop.

The 98 Kia Sephia (I think) used the newer G-series trans which has a good bit beefier case...aka more gussets. Torque capacity I haven't heard except what Lime just said.

Check out the Pro-LX tranny upgrade post in the forced induction forum where Yoda and I delved deep into this issue with the Pro-LX box.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Here are some pics of the KIA tranny:
WingleBeast

Post by WingleBeast »

The F-Series B6 box is shorter gearing in 1st n 2nd and monster taller gearing in 4th n 5th, 3rd seemed pretty close to being the same
ive never torn a tranny apart before, is there a way to sawp out the gears from the different trannys for shorter gearing and better acceleration?
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

JWMotorsports wrote:Check out the Pro-LX tranny upgrade post in the forced induction forum where Yoda and I delved deep into this issue with the Pro-LX box.
Ric just broke the LX trans in the MX-3 anyways we heard that the guys in PRico are using the 98+kia trans and its holding up with there 600+HP BP's so we thought we give it a try and see if it can really hold up to RIC 700whp goal on the mx-3. the LX trans crap out think we broke a diff but what the hell Ric & i will give the kia trans a shot, the weakest part of the MX-3 is probly the trans.
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

So how did you guys do the rear tranny mount? Kinda was unclear. Did you guys just bolt the LX bracket to the tranny? And for the top mount, you just used the Kia Tranny side and the Mazda Body side?? or how did you do that??
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

mazda lx bracket for the rear, kia has a different setup. for the top mount u have to use the LX bracket again kia has a different setup. and for the front u have to use the kia bracket. the lx bracket will now bolt up to the kia trans. it should bolt up but i'll find out soon enough. does that clear things up bugs

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”