Need some local help before I get myself stranded!! :P

A forum for MX-West Car Club Related Topics. MX-West has two Chapters;, the original is in Vancouver, British Columbia, and the second is in Calgary, Alberta.
Chiggles

Need some local help before I get myself stranded!! :P

Post by Chiggles »

Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a pickle (or at least think I might be). I JUST got a bit of work done on my Precidia to make it roadworthy enough for highway travel cuz I came down from Edmonton this week and passed by Calgary cuz I have a work event to attend to in Lake Louise this weekend. Plus, I had hoped that with the proper attention, I would actually be able to make it out to the Kelowna meet this year. Anyway, coming down from Edmonton to Calgary, I was ok. Stopped there for about an hour for lunch, then continued on to Louise, but it was then when we started heading out again that I noticeably FEEL the car shifting, not just hear it. There's quite a bit of a jolt I get especially when it goes from 1st to 2nd, and then a little bit at 3rd and 4th gears, but I'm getting no CEL codes or HOLD flashes from my ATX. So.... what the hell??? There's no other unusual noises or vibrations right now, just that jolt when it shifts. I haven't moved the car yet and left it in park since I got into Louise yesterday. I mean, I'm not going far from the hotel, so I've just been walking around the resort area on foot, but more to the point, I'm not sure if the car's ok or not and don't want to risk moving it at this point without some guidance or an explanation. I'm hoping it was just that my ATX was heating up perhaps from the long travel so I'm giving it a long bit of rest before I have to leave Louise tomorrow and make my way to Jasper for the wife's conference. But then I still have another leg of driving to do to get back to Edmonton from Jasper on Wednesday.

I know the subject is primarily ATX related so I already made a post here with some more info about what's been done to my GS, but I wanted to bring it up here as well to give it some more exposure. Please tell me what's going on and what I can do to fix it. I still have some travelling to do before I can get home to fix the problem so I at least want to know I can still make it there and I don't risk getting myself stranded in the middle of the mountains. Plus, I JUST freed up myself from the work schedule for that Kelowna meet too and just needed to book a room at that hotel we're alll staying in but now I'm not even sure if I can make it now. :cry: :cry: HELP!! Reply to this thread or the other one in the ATX section, it doesn't matter to me. :P

Bling Bling - if you get a chance to read this post during the weekend, could you maybe mention it to your friend Steve and see if he knows what it could be from his experiences? Man, it sucks that I JUST passed Airdrie and I can't get back there to have it looked at since I'm not going back that way. LOL!!
What I drive: A Cybertronian disguised in the form of a Creek Blue Mica 95 MX-3 GS. :driver:
Long term goal: Fabricating a new transformation cog! :welder:
Bling Bling

Post by Bling Bling »

Just got online. It's a little late to call Steve up as it is after 10 PM. You can call him yourself tomorrow if you PM me your cell number. Is it possible that the torque converter went on it or it is low on tranny fluid or something? anyway, PM me and I'll give you his number. If you do get it running, you should stop by with the BEER.
Stacy Whitrick
MX-West Calgary
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1335558 UPDATED June 6,07
94 GS, Green Envy Pearl QUESTION: Does my car fit the RICE category?
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

LOL, I still have Steve's number from the PMs you sent before last year. I get so little PMs that I haven't bothered to delete anything so I still have the number. Just don't have a long distance plan on my cell phone like I do with my land line so I thought I could get you to relay the info for me, but that's no big deal. Anyway, tomorrow I leave Louise for Jasper, and I guess it'll be a test run. By then, it'll be about 43 hours since the car was last started, so hopefully the rest did it some good and I'll make the next 2 legs of my trip before I get home.

As far torque converter failure, how would I know? What are the symptoms? Any tranny fluid level is not a concern, that's still full.

Anyone else got any thoughts or advice? Please and thank you! :D
What I drive: A Cybertronian disguised in the form of a Creek Blue Mica 95 MX-3 GS. :driver:
Bling Bling

Post by Bling Bling »

I'll call him today. Send me your cell number so I can get a hold of you, or would you prefer another posting? Oh...good luck :wink:
Stacy Whitrick
MX-West Calgary
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1335558 UPDATED June 6,07
94 GS, Green Envy Pearl QUESTION: Does my car fit the RICE category?
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

Well, as an update, the good news is that I made it to Jasper ok yesterday, and without any odd shakes or jolts either. So it would seem that the rest I gave the car while in Louise did it some good. So the bad news is then as it would seem: why am I getting shifting jolts only AFTER a longer harder drive that's, say more than 2 hours of straigt highway driving??

It may have helped to know that I didn't drive from Louise to Jasper continuously. We stopped twice: once at the Crossing stop to grab a bite to eat for about a half hour, and at the Columbia Icefields for about 2 hours. So.... as long as I don't drive it straight for more than 2 hours, I seem to be ok. This is not to say though that I don't have a problem. Obviously, I should have this looked at before I can be sure to make the trip to Kelowna.

Any new thoughts?
wyldside
Supporting Member
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by wyldside »

Start with draining the Transmission fluid and replacing it with some sythetic Redline or Royal Purple or something like that. That's a quick and easy solution to try before you start having to rip things out.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

1992 Seal-Gray MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :mrgreen:
1992 White MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :( Worklog (Parting out)
1993 Blaze Red MX-3 GS - RIP :cry:

Return to “MX-West Car Club (Vancouver, BC / Calgary, AB)”