engine noise *vid*

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
relisys_3200

engine noise *vid*

Post by relisys_3200 »

well, just though I'd throw this up. About 2 months ago, 2 days after I took it out of storage my car started making this noise. You can hear it coming from under the timing cover. I'm positive we have it narrowed down, but I just figured I would see what everyone thinks. We're going to do the timing belt, all the idlers, tensioner and water pump. So yeah....here it is :lol:

its kinda hard to tell, but you get the idea

click here
Brandon
1992 MX-3 GS-ZE
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Didn't you post this same vid a while back?

It deff sounds like a loose pulley or ideler. Timing change sounds like a good place to start.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

yup sounds like a bad timing belt idler or whatever its called.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

PATDIESEL wrote:Didn't you post this same vid a while back?

It deff sounds like a loose pulley or ideler. Timing change sounds like a good place to start.
ya, I posted it on MOCA a couple months ago, but just making sure before I dive into this soon.
Brandon
1992 MX-3 GS-ZE
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

how long did you have it in the storage hommie did you check ALL FLUIDS INCLUDING oil before running it maybe you had a minor oil leak and drained...... check your pulleys ........ that could also be the problem.....what were you doing before it made this noise .....dont lie where you racing?
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
14.8 1/4 mile all motor untimed on boost.
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Got an automotive stethescope? If not get you some large rubber tubing and put a socket extension in one end. Put the tube to your ear and the extension end.. use it to find the location of the noise. This way you get a better idea where the noise is comming from.
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

That noise is awefully loud to be using a stethascope on it. You might blow a ear drum... :lol:
The socket and tubing is not as effective, but Barry is right it is a good way to locate where a noise is coming from more precisely.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
mab

Post by mab »

that sounds like a camshaft noise to me pull that front cover and check out everything. i have heard a noise like that before and the car was blowing fuses.

did you prime the oil before u started the car? it take a few minutes for the oil to reach the lifters, be sure to have freash oil and good oil pressure. one of your oil galleries may be clogged.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

nahy noit camshaft man.. i had the same noise before mjy timing belt change..it was the sprocket thingy..the tensioner yeah that
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

sounds like an air compressor
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Pull the accessory belts.. see if it goes away..

Pull the timing cover.. see if you you can hear it better or narrow down the location of it.

Can you "feel" it or is it just noise.

sounds alot like a bearing noise.. make on a pulley?
sonue1

Post by sonue1 »

People i had a noise like that and it turned out to be the water pump bearing.
The other thing it could be is the idler pulley for the air con belt..

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”