HELP

Off-Topic Discussions
GregoryChristian
Supporting Member

HELP

Post by GregoryChristian »

abot 2 months ago I installed Bosch +4 Platinum spark plugs, new wires, distributor cap & rotor button into my girlfriends 96 Mazda Protege and all was fine until recently , now the engine light is on and the CEL code came up as a Misfire in #4 ....the car seems to almost not want to move when sitting idle at a stop light for over 45 seconds or longer ...I have to keep my foot on the gas pedal until it slowly gets up to speed and then runs fine ....anyone have any ideas what this could be ? Oxygen sensor ? fuel injectors ? I read on the internet that these particular spark plugs are not good for certain cars ...has anyone had any bad experiences with them ?
Meep

Post by Meep »

We have the same problem with my husband's 98 Protege only its misfiring in cylinder one. We recently replaced the spark plugs, wires, disty, etc as well. Sorry I can't help you though, we haven't figured out exactly what's wrong either.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Hey, try swapping those plugs out, I know for a fact they do not like mazda motors, my friend is a mechanic and a car came in witha misfire after installing those +4's and they swapped it out and it was fine. Try that, if not check your distibutor cap and rotor and make sure it hasnt fallen out of timing.
GregoryChristian
Supporting Member

thanks for the info ..but why would it take it over 2 months after installing them for this problem to arise ?
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

GregoryChristian wrote:thanks for the info ..but why would it take it over 2 months after installing them for this problem to arise ?
Good Q, it is weird because the same issue was happening with a camry that he was working on, they had em in for like 5 weeks then all of a sudden it happened. Since there is 4 contact points for the spark to go to sometimes they got clogged up or bent and that effects the spark and leads to idle and detonation issues, check it out..
GregoryChristian
Supporting Member

Problem solved ...it was the Bosch +4 Spark plugs, I switched them out with a set of NGK and no more misfire problems .....go figure ?
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

GregoryChristian wrote:Problem solved ...it was the Bosch +4 Spark plugs, I switched them out with a set of NGK and no more misfire problems .....go figure ?
I am glad it worked :) THose plugs are no good, stay away from bosch for import cars or lil 4 bangers
2.5mazda

Post by 2.5mazda »

yeah, for sure. That is a well known fact, bosh plugs suck in mazdas. I dont know exactly what it is either, it just doesnt work out... :wink:
http://www.streetpsi.net

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS ZE
Meep

Post by Meep »

Ours got fixed with we replaced the wires

Return to “Off-Topic”