how do i advance my timing or cam?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mazdamx3sohc

how do i advance my timing or cam?

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

what will i need. how hard is it to do, its the sohc.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Diag box, gnd to TEN.. loosten the disty bolts and advance the timing no more than 4 degrees. Anything more and your car will ping. You have to run 93+ octane if you do this,
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Are you asking how to advance the ignition timing or the Cam timing or both?

Ignition timing is per the instructions already provided.

Adjusting the Cam timing is where you see the greatest change in power with the SOHC. I have a 8V SOHC and I bolted on an adjustable cam timing pulley and retarded the cam timing to pull up the peak power number by advancing the peak torque rpm to a higher in the power band.
You could also do what I did on my KL in the other car. I had a set offset crank key made on the precision surface grinder out in the back of the shop. With the various offsets I can advance or retard the cam timing in relation to TDC
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

you say that a adjustable cam gear on the sohc will improve power?

By how much and do you have to run higher octane gas?

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

whats diag box and gnd ten and a disty thing? im talking about for the cam. and what will happen if i dont run premium fuel.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

mazdamx3sohc wrote:whats diag box and gnd ten and a disty thing? im talking about for the cam. and what will happen if i dont run premium fuel.
he said what will happen if u dont run premiun

advance the timing no more than 4 degrees. Anything more and your car will ping. You have to run 93+ octane if you do this, Ping Ping
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

how do i know if its 4 degrees exactly? is this for the cam?
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

The gains are going to depend on what modifications have been made to the engine. With a stock engine with bolt-on mods may you will only see 3-4whp. With a properly sized intake and exhaust (a lot smaller that you think you need), A/F correction and a good set of plug and wires and you could be up around 7-8 whp with a 8V SOHC. If you have a 16V expect a little less of an increase due to the low oval shape of the intake and exhaust port which naturally reduces port flow compaired to the higher round ports of the 8V. As far as octane goes I can still run mine on regular and may have to go up to mid grade is the weather gets really hot.

I don't know where you are planning to get an adjustable SOHC timing pulley since they haven't been made since maybe '97 or '98 and the OEM one like I have haven't been made in over 10 years
Bochek wrote:you say that a adjustable cam gear on the sohc will improve power?

By how much and do you have to run higher octane gas?

Bochek
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

so i cant adjust my stock cam?
jorcool13

Post by jorcool13 »

can we advance the ignition timing on the dohc 1.6L engine?

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”