gas tank question

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
RaspMetalicMX3SE

gas tank question

Post by RaspMetalicMX3SE »

It says on edmunds that the MX-3 gas tank holds 13.2 gallons of gas. I was just wondering why even when my tank is very very empty ( I'm talking bout spitting and sputtering, almost stalling) that i can only fill it up bout a few tenths over 11 gallons. where the hell is all that extra gallon and a half or so at in there?"
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

at the bottom.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

Ive ran my car completely out of gas, and i was only able to put 12 gallons well not even it was like 11.8 gallons in
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
ho bag

Post by ho bag »

Hmmmm this is intresting because from bone dry i could only get $33 (can) in it and that is at 1.10 a liter, and i was forcing it in at that!

According to the manafacture specs that only about half full! But the pump shuts off and the guage is on F.

How far down towards the E do you guy run the tank? How many km do you normally get to a tank?
2002 Mazda Protege5 (Turbo kit 75% complete)
1996 Mazda MX-3 Gs KL-ZE
1994 Mazda MX-3 Rs (BP-T?)
Cy

Post by Cy »

it's proabably an air bubble

If you care...nex time you goto fill up put a piece of wood on the ground under the back drive tire and drive onto it...

fill up .. and then rock the car a little.. you should grab another 0.5 gallon..

Also remember that the in-tank fuel system is going to take up a fuel 100ml of space...maybe 500ml
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Cy wrote:it's proabably an air bubble

If you care...nex time you goto fill up put a piece of wood on the ground under the back drive tire and drive onto it...

fill up .. and then rock the car a little.. you should grab another 0.5 gallon..

Also remember that the in-tank fuel system is going to take up a fuel 100ml of space...maybe 500ml
:lol:

Priceless
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
RaspMetalicMX3SE

ill tell ya, there have been times when ive filled it up and had it pour from the tank. After i put the cap on and drove away, i have park it in a lot and nboticed a puddle under it , like it has an over flow thing on it, since gas in pretty expandable. HMMM that brings up a goood point maybe because its pretty hot down here(Florida) the gas expands as it's being pumped in the tank
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Grants wrote:

Priceless
LMAO! A half gallon air bubble.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

lakersfan1 wrote:
Grants wrote:

Priceless
LMAO! A half gallon air bubble.
The block of wood at the garage? Rock the car? Has ANYONE EVER DONE THIS?

Yea right, Priceless x 2!
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
2.5mazda

Post by 2.5mazda »

I do it every time I fill up! :lol:
You guys dont? :o
http://www.streetpsi.net

1992 Mazda MX-3 GS ZE
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Na, sorry :wink:

We could sell movie rights if someone actually did.... Talk about dysfunctional...
mx3hatchcrap

haha

Post by mx3hatchcrap »

Its a conspiracy !
I had filled my Rs model up and i got around 10 1/2 or so
My Beater Mx3 is For SALE!!! >
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=

My source of Life: Psalm 118:8 (the very center scripture in the bible!)
ruthless_mx3

Post by ruthless_mx3 »

ran mine till it spit and sputtered and wouldn't go over 50 w/o dieing coasted into gas station and was able to put just barely over 13 gallons. Can usually allways put in nearly 13 gallons. 13 has to include the long fill tube.
Cy

Post by Cy »

Here's a question....

Gas is weight... Gas stations are EVERYWHERE...

WHY THE HELL DO YOU WANT A FULL TANK...

Make 1/2 a tank your fill line and save the cost of carrying 5/6 gallons of spare gas...
RaspMetalicMX3SE

heres an answer.
When gas can go up .10 cents a gallon in a day or two it makes more sense now than ever to completely fill your tank

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”