Bad A$$ SOHC turbo

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Minimonster

Post by Minimonster »

Well I see and reecognize all your points. But dont get it all twisted. Like one said, Its all about the money and how much of it you have.

However I just want to know if people were scared of the single or just dont have the skills to make it fast.

Gugs you are cool and all but you last post was not. You admit the making 210 on your low budget but seem uncomfortable with some one else making more 318 because they had to spend more money.

I take money to go fast, just like it take money to make money. And Yes the age of owners here may not reflect the rich group.

The silly thing is that If I was to calculate the cost of all the parts in some oth the sig on the members. The easily add up to thousands. I just want to now why so many do that. The spent 2 to 4 g into 20 to 40 misc piggy junk, trouble some parts to get low hp when the same amount of money could be spent on 10 to 15 quality parts that get them double the power. I think its a lack of knowledge.
Proud builder of
455 hp Miata 10.98@125mph
MX-3 RS 25 psi 451 hp
MX-6 F2T 12.8 @ 112 mph
(Current Project) A 700 hp MX-3 now at 475 hp
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Limegreen mx-3 wrote:Well first off the VF12/VJ20 setup it is just a tad smaller than a T3 Super 60. And the price, was very very good. Second off, I just redyno'd 2 weeks ago, and at 8 psi I hit 210whp. And what size turbo was the guy running to hit 318 at 15psi??? Cause no way it is the same one that comes with the kit. THe one in the pic is small. I don't think even a super 60 could push him to that.

And how much $$ did he spend?? like $6000? I mean come on, On the last year I have only spent around another $500 on my setup, Greddy Profec B, the VF12, and a couple other small things, and it runs just fine. Except for some leaky injectors because all of the gas stations up here never clean their tanks...

Dude thier was a link that i posted, had u check it out u could see why that much HP. http://www.racingmazda.com/ma_ze.htm i;ll let u check it out. and as far as a t3 super 60 seen then get 330+HP@25psi on a 1.6 maita.

am not going to keep agureing over i spend 500$ and am happey and i spend 6000$ and am faster. am droping it we all got to do what we can work with and wish are cars work the best everyday.

Punk i gave ur back taillight for like free. what more could u ask. bugs[/quote]

First off, I was still talking about the SOHC when I was talking about "the customer's" setup. setup. When you said 318 @ 15 psi I thought you meant the SOHC engine with the SOHC turbo kit, cause that is what the thread was about. So I do not argue at all about the BP in the link, because with the turbo that has, yes, at 15psi that much is very possible.

After rereading it again I can see how I got it mixed up, kinda hard to read without a qoute box...

And Minimonster, I totally agree with you. The "Right" setup is 10-15 High performance things. My brother has the "Right" setup on his RX7. IT cost money, and I think that is totally cool. I admit I don't have the Right setup but the setups that "works" because when you are a "budget" racer, like me, and still want reliablility and can't afford the $3000 standalone that can do all of the stuff a stock ECU does, you need the stock ECU still for driveablility. So I went with the piggyback, doesn't do the "Best" job, but it just plainly "works". The only item I do not have, that I regret, is a wideband. I tune with EGT, and Narrowband, and yes that is stupid of me. It is much harder and for it I run a little more rich than I need to.

But getting back on topic, Did you guys run the F-series transmission in the BP powered car? I thought back in the origianl thread you guys said you were running the G-series, and we were amazed you were still useing stock axles, and the tranny was holding.

BTW when I setout I wanted a Setup that would boost easily and would get me to 225whp. I have that setup now, so I am happy. I saw that getting 225whp with a BP was much easier to do than with the SOHC.
Minimonster

Post by Minimonster »

Please I dont want anyone to take it personal. this is just to get info. Bugs nothing against you. We are all her with the same goal just different way of getting there.

Still if you think about the fact a megasquirt cost a lil more than and afc but you get ssooooo much more. You have to wire in both, so then it must be the tuning that scare some. Thats just one of my thoughts. I still think you can get 300 hp out of a SOHC for under $4000.
Proud builder of
455 hp Miata 10.98@125mph
MX-3 RS 25 psi 451 hp
MX-6 F2T 12.8 @ 112 mph
(Current Project) A 700 hp MX-3 now at 475 hp
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Minimonster wrote:Please I dont want anyone to take it personal. this is just to get info. Bugs nothing against you. We are all her with the same goal just different way of getting there.

Still if you think about the fact a megasquirt cost a lil more than and afc but you get ssooooo much more. You have to wire in both, so then it must be the tuning that scare some. Thats just one of my thoughts. I still think you can get 300 hp out of a SOHC for under $4000.
Ya a megasquirt is another option, but it doesn't have the Daily Driving/reliability. It would require me to do "a lot" of self tuning. And realisticly you have to agree, Megasquirt is crap. In the land of Standalones it sucks. I would go with the new Greddy Ultimate before I did MSnS. The new Greddy ultimate has autotune, plus it does just as much at the MSnS.

And another point I make, I spent $2500 Including the BP and Tranny. With that setup I made 212 @ 12psi. Then I have spent about 500 more and made 210 @ 8psi. So I think that I have realativly cheap, realiable setup that WORKS.

And I do agree, you could get 300 out of the SOHC for under $4000. So get limegreen to get his B6 putting down 300 on a f-series tranny :)
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

well i must say. it does get expensive. i know over the years nickle and diming and numerous swaps and mods, were most ended up cancling eachother out, i have proobably spent close to 10 to 15K, crazy when you think about it. first off was my wheels then and ATX to MTX swap, and the list went on and on and on untill the AWD.

i know that anyone that runs an F series trans at 300 fpt is probably full of it, especially when they say its reliable. it couldent be a daily driver, and get on it at all. i persionally went threw 3 of them in less than 6 months before i went to a G series and i babied the hell out of them and only ran Redline. i was only running around 230 WHP. the last one i blew i tourqed the bell housing from the tranny almost 1/2" in rotation. there were cracks and chunks missing everywhere. but after nickle and diming myself i got smart, i just saved money to do it rite one last time. so i got a stand alone and bulding a bad a-- engine with a 2.0 bore (actually 1990cc) i will be able to run almost what ever i want out of this thing, and be able to tune it for reliability (taking it to the machine shop tomorrow). i know Bugs has spent way less than i have with alot more reliability then i had. i was always braking something. and i babied the crap out of the car.

but i too agree that with 4K now knowing what i know now, one could build a 300 WHP 1.6 SHOC (i would use the 8 valve vs. the 16) for 4000K. but as far as reliability who knows.

just my 2 cents

Best of luck
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

BuGS wrote: So get limegreen to get his B6 putting down 300 on a f-series tranny :)
the f-series trans has held up to 318hp@15psi 301lb torque that was bolted on a BP engine not the sohc the bp. so the trans can hold up its been done. but he upgraded and ditch the f-trans for the G-series. I'am up for the challege to finding what the sohc & f-series trans can do. :D
BuGS wrote:Did you guys run the F-series transmission in the BP powered car? I thought back in the origianl thread you guys said you were running the G-series, and we were amazed you were still useing stock axles, and the tranny was holding.:)
F-series transmission in the BP powered car? belong to another mx-3 2 years back. That mx-3 ran a 12.1 318whp@15psi. Ric MX-3 running a 2.0bp with stock G-series trans and axles am surprise its still hold up. so far its holding to 475whp@15psi along with a couple pass as the track. 2 different mx-3 where talking about.
BuGS wrote:I made 212 @ 12psi. Then I have spent about 500 more and made 210 @ 8psi.:)
just a ? how come ur not boosting 15,16 psi just curius.
BuGS wrote:And I bet even mine at 8 psi is higher than all of you imazda:)
Turbo RIC made 349WHP@10psi i'am pretty sure its still over 300@8psi. But good job on what u have done so far with what your have. thumbs up :D

Sorry about the quote's was to lazy to do it right hopefully this doesn't confuse anybody.
Last edited by Limegreen mx-3 on May 20th, 2006, 2:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

BuGS wrote:
Minimonster wrote:Please I dont want anyone to take it personal. this is just to get info. Bugs nothing against you. We are all her with the same goal just different way of getting there.

Ya a megasquirt is another option, but it doesn't have the Daily Driving/reliability. It would require me to do "a lot" of self tuning. And realisticly you have to agree, Megasquirt is crap. In the land of Standalones it sucks. I would go with the new Greddy Ultimate before I did MSnS. The new Greddy ultimate has autotune, plus it does just as much at the MSnS.

And another point I make, I spent $2500 Including the BP and Tranny. With that setup I made 212 @ 12psi. Then I have spent about 500 more and made 210 @ 8psi. So I think that I have realativly cheap, realiable setup that WORKS.

And I do agree, you could get 300 out of the SOHC for under $4000. So get limegreen to get his B6 putting down 300 on a f-series tranny :)
I have nothing but good things to say aboutmy MSnS. Started first crank and so far been running as good if nto better than my stock comp, thats NA and with boost. So far its been perfect. And my MS has auto tune and lauch control, spark fuel and tons of other options i dont even wanna mess with : /. but yea good so far. I cant use autotune yet though cause i dont have wideband.

EDIT: actually im not sure if its called autotune on MS. butit has something where you put in a lil info and it fills in everything else and get it good enough to drive normally. Prolly not the same thing your talking about with the other system. But for the price i just love it.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
RbluE_MX-6

Post by RbluE_MX-6 »

BuGS wrote:Ya a megasquirt is another option, but it doesn't have the Daily Driving/reliability. It would require me to do "a lot" of self tuning. And realisticly you have to agree, Megasquirt is crap. In the land of Standalones it sucks. The new Greddy ultimate has autotune, plus it does just as much at the MSnS.
There are a few differences between MS, MSnS, and MSII, but Im sure you knew that(EFI vs EMS). Im also sure you know that MegaSquirt was designed for the average person with the least skills in tuning to be able to figure out how to tune their car themselves. The entire idea behind it is to be inexpensive, simple, and practical. I think my 11 yr old sister can figure out how to use it. But thats the point, simple and easy to use. And I dont think its the best standalone out there, but it is inexpensive and simple to use(cant stress that enough).

BuGS wrote:I would go with the new Greddy Ultimate before I did MSnS. The new Greddy ultimate has autotune, plus it does just as much at the MSnS.
As I said before, there are some differences betweenMS, MSnS, and MSII.
Oh, and its best not to use MS as a piggy back. Youll get more out of it as either a fuel management or complete engine management system( or full standalone, which ever word you prefer)

Here, dip into this info abit.
http://www.megasquirt.info/
BuGS wrote:And another point I make, I spent $2500 Including the BP and Tranny. With that setup I made 212 @ 12psi. Then I have spent about 500 more and made 210 @ 8psi.
At stock boost 8 psi I make about 190 lb/tq. At 10 psi I make roughly 225 lb/tq. At 15 psi I am well over 260 lb/tq.

All that and I spent about $200-300. No motor swaps or tranny swaps.

Now when I get some fuel and spark upgrades, I'll probably be making 290+- lbs/tq at 18 psi.

Some more info on HP vs Torque
http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95850
Last edited by RbluE_MX-6 on May 20th, 2006, 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
88 Mx-6 GT FE-DOHC rebuilt

Too much to list...
RbluE_MX-6

Post by RbluE_MX-6 »

XxantwawnxX wrote: actually im not sure if its called autotune on MS.
The program is MegaTune, and like all other software programs it is updated and available online.
88 Mx-6 GT FE-DOHC rebuilt

Too much to list...
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

No im not talking about megatune, its an option in megatune, at least it is in mine. I just forget what it was and i dont have my laptop atm.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

the reason Bugs is not running 15psi. is his clutch was slipping on anything over 10. so for saftey reasons its at 8. so even his run with 8psi it was slipping just a bit and he got 210 WHP ant tourque. hes waiting for his new clutch and then he will run it again. he should have no problem hitting anything under 300.
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Spec Stage III clutch. When I blew my last engine (on purpose) It blew the oil pan apart right next to the tranny and oil got in on my clutch and flywheel. I cleaned it off with Carb Cleaner and sanded a very little, but it still slips. I can do consistant 8PSI runs but as soon as I turn it up it starts to slip. So Oil and ruined my clutch. But at 8PSI I am doing fine.

And about the qoute from Imazda, it was just to make fun of the guys there, cause the forum is just starting out. I will have nothing on Ric and Josh. They are out of my league because I don't plan on doing anything on my car after the summer, it is going to my little brother for 2 yrs while I am gone, and Josh is actually borrowing my new turbo Manifold and GTR Intake manifold...
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

are these good (spec clutch) ive been seeing a lot of people getting these. & i installed a spec clutch, alum. flywheel on a T.C. Caviler. they look nice.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

I really enjoyed mine. Never had a problem til I got oil on it, but when you get oil on any clutch it goes.
MechaManZero

Post by MechaManZero »

Custommx3 wrote:
mr1in6billion wrote:"There's no replacement for displacement."

Like CMX said, why waste money building up an engine when you can instantly get more power for the same money AND have room to improve even further.
EXACTLY!

If its about money... I could dump my mx-3 and buy a ferrari, but its about cost effectiveness. Sure I could get 1000 whp out of an orange if I put enough money into it, but spending $2000 on buying a turbo kit for an SOHC, when for the same price you can get a better platform + tranny, thats already turboed, and still produce more power is probably the best bang for your buck.

Look @ the age of most users on this forum, 17-25. Do you think most have enough money to dump into an 88hp SOHC 1.6L just to make it fast and to be original? Most of these guys are in college or high school with limited budgets. They are looking for a cheap upgrade with a little more durability. Why not just buy a bigger engine for the same price thats lower miles, and already comes turboed? You supposedly have an SOHC thats 451hp. Im sure that wasnt just bolt-ons. Im sure you didnt spend just $2000 on a basic turbo kit either.

THink about it this way. Your 18 years old, probably making 7-8 bucks an hr. You drive a 92 SOHC, and you know its very slow. Whats your alternatives? Turbo.. theres 2 grand atleast right there. Engine swap.. engine/tranny swap... less than a grand. Now your car is the same as a stock v6 model and probably lighter too.

Also, if you want a warm welcome to this forum.. dont start off your posts like this
"is it that no one is skilled are smart enough to make them work and make power. "

There are alot of very bright people on this forum.
LOL I hate to say it but i am working two jobs getting 65 hours a week in and I am not going to college. I am 21 and has so far spent well over 2300 USD so far and still don't have all the necessary items to drop my bpt in just yet. But if I hit 3 grand doing all this work... it will be worth it because I have a check list and having fun at the same time with the hunt as well as the project. I have been also stripping weight.

So basically when you say the better bang for your buck, it is actually also determined on power goals and what makes you happy. Like me, I like a four banger rather than a six because of more access room. The price is also right.

Also I have have noticed for years the evolution of racing and speed has gone from big bad @ss muscle cars to light and pumped cars. Now you are determined by weight as well as power and torque.

Return to “Forced Induction”