pleas help me!! i have pics

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
tim_mccomiskey

pleas help me!! i have pics

Post by tim_mccomiskey »

Everytime my cooling fan comes on there is a plate on the A/C compressor that looks like a triangle and it makes the ugliest noise when the fan turns on!! I cannot figure it out, First, i thought it was the drive belt so i replaced it, then i replaced the idler pully, PLEASE HELP!! here is a detailed picture of whats happeneing!!

lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Do you have your air conditioner button on when it makes the noise?

Either way, I'd suspect you need a new air conditioning compressor ..... which will mean you'll also need new refrigerant.
tim_mccomiskey

Post by tim_mccomiskey »

no, whether i turn it on or off, it makes no difference in it, only when the cooling fan comes on and do i have to put refrigerant back in it, i dont even use A.C.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

The compressor has a clutch (the triangle thing) that acts just like your clutch on the trans. It is worn out and squeeling b/c it is not releasing all the way. You have 2 options. 1. get a belt for a non AC car and just bypass the AC compressor or 2. get a new/rebuilt compressor. I see compressors every now and then on E-Bay for about 2-300. You can use one from the Probe or MX-6 too I think, but make sure to double check that with the seller of the part. (if they don't know then don't buy it)
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
tim_mccomiskey

Post by tim_mccomiskey »

how come it only does that when the cooling fan comes on?? are they connected somehow?????..thanks for all the help
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

tim_mccomiskey wrote:how come it only does that when the cooling fan comes on?? are they connected somehow?????..thanks for all the help
Nope. The fans are electric. You sure it's the AC compressor making the noise, and not the alternator right next to it? The alternator will be asked to work harder when the fans turn on. That would make more sense, and a rebuilt alternator is alot cheaper than a rebuilt AC condenser.
tim_mccomiskey

Post by tim_mccomiskey »

yeah im pretty sure b/c when the fan comes on, and that noise kicks in, i can make it stop by pushing on that triangle plate and then it gets quiet.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

THats weird as crap, the fans should not have anythnig to do with the compressor clutch....hmm maybe just coincidence?

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
tim_mccomiskey

Post by tim_mccomiskey »

yeah i dont know, i mean i can get the compressor and alternator at a local salvage yard cheap..prolly 40 bucks for both but thats alot of work to not be sure if this really is the probelm.. whenever the cooling fans kicks on that plate on the compressor locks up against the three pins and make a grinding noise and starts smoking. then i stuck a flat head screwdriver to hold it in place and it doesent make the noise. Sometimes if i am driving w/o the cooling fan on, i get a loud ticking noise from over there to. that it stops when the rpms get high
tim_mccomiskey

Post by tim_mccomiskey »

I Should also mention that the a/c fan has not operated since i have had the vehicle. go figure? and it feels like the whole car is being bogged down when the cooling fan kicks on..so either the alternator or a/c compressor..please help me! :(
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

If you run the air in the car, does the air get cooled when the fans go on?
ho bag

Post by ho bag »

You may have a short in the fan system causing an excesive drain on the altnator. This inturn makes the engine idle lower and and vibrate more. This will make any worn out part (ie:your ac clutch plate) rattle and vibrate.

Personally if you dont use a/c pull the compressor, pull all the lines, pull the condensor infron of the rad. It will kill that noise and it will save you a few lbs.
2002 Mazda Protege5 (Turbo kit 75% complete)
1996 Mazda MX-3 Gs KL-ZE
1994 Mazda MX-3 Rs (BP-T?)
tim_mccomiskey

Post by tim_mccomiskey »

ITS BEEN fixed !!!!! Finally, the a/c compressor was no good. The external trinagle piece, clutch maybe? was seized up. The pulley on the compressor moved like crap as well. Went down to U-Wrench-It and got a new compressor, alternator and OEM lip for 35 bucks!!
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Told ya ;) Good deal, glad you got it fixed cheap and got a lip too. 8)
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”