K8 ECU better than KLDE ECU - Dyno

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
lakersfan1

K8 ECU better than KLDE ECU - Dyno

Post by lakersfan1 »

I just got back from the dyno off a long lunch break. I did 4 runs with various VRIS combinations on my KLDE ECU to get the VRIS points for my car. Well, for fun, I had them do another run with doing nothing but disconnecting the KLDE ecu and plugging in the K8DE ecu. What happened? In HP, it shifted the HP curve over 500 RPM higher at the peak (7,000 RPM peak instead of 6,500) and it gave me more HP!! And also, compared to plot for same VRIS setup off KLDE ECU, I got more torque. In a few places, looks like over 10 lbs!! The K8 ECU does run a LITTLE richer than the KLDE ECU, but it still stayed above 13:1 for most of the curve.

I will scan the plots when I get home tonight.
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

what test engine was this on?? thats pretty kool!
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

fieromx3 wrote:what test engine was this on?? thats pretty kool!
I've got a KLZE bottom end with KLDE heads with some mild head porting done. KL01 cams, 2.25" high flow cat and Magnaflow exhaust. CAI. The intake manifold is from a 2002 Mazda 626, which is why I needed to dyno ..... for proper VRIS points.
ho bag

Post by ho bag »

Hmm thats curious.....

Why would the k8 ecu run richer? It seams to me that since it was designed for a 1.8l and your running a 2.5l with it it would run lean. What injectors are you using? the stock 2.5l or 1.8l injectors?
2002 Mazda Protege5 (Turbo kit 75% complete)
1996 Mazda MX-3 Gs KL-ZE
1994 Mazda MX-3 Rs (BP-T?)
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

ho bag wrote:Hmm thats curious.....

Why would the k8 ecu run richer? It seams to me that since it was designed for a 1.8l and your running a 2.5l with it it would run lean. What injectors are you using? the stock 2.5l or 1.8l injectors?
2.5L injectors .... of course. KL02 VAF.
ho bag

Post by ho bag »

have you tried the JE50 vaf with the 2.5l injectors?
2002 Mazda Protege5 (Turbo kit 75% complete)
1996 Mazda MX-3 Gs KL-ZE
1994 Mazda MX-3 Rs (BP-T?)
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

ho bag wrote:have you tried the JE50 vaf with the 2.5l injectors?
Not on the dyno. It runs like a-- on the road with the JE50 and anything other than the KL31/KL36 ECUs, so there was no need to dyno it like that.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

OK. Might have to stretch it out and strain the eyes to see the yellow line, but:

Green line: KLDE ECU, Both VRIS Closed
Blue line: KLDE ECU, Passenger VRIS Tied Open
Purple line: KLDE ECU, Both VRIS tied open
Light Blue line: KLDE ECU, Driver VRIS Tied Open
Yellow: K8DE ECU, Both VRIS Closed
Red Line: Ignore

Keep in mind these numbers are converted to approximate flywheel power, not at the wheels .... because I didn't have any wheels on ..... it was a Dynopack machine.

If you want to compare apples to apples, then the yellow line would have to be compared to the Green Line, which means the K8 ECU not only doesn't loose ANY power anywhere over the KLDE ECU, but it also makes a peak 8 ft/lb and 11 HP more. :shock:

lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

A/F ratio. Once again, compare yellow to green.

JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

did it cost more/less/same to do a chassis dyno as it does to put in on a dynojet to get whp ?
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

JWMX3 wrote:did it cost more/less/same to do a chassis dyno as it does to put in on a dynojet to get whp ?
It normally cost $90 for 3 runs. Since I was actually doing the extra runs for a reason, he let me do all 5 for $90 as long as I was quick between the VRIS changes.
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

170's whp..! :2thumbsup:
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

ninjajim4 wrote:170's whp..! :2thumbsup:
No. That's 175 adjusted crank HP. I guess the dynapacks don't give numbers comparable to dyno roller style dynos. So the torque unadjusted said something like 650 ft/lbs. The HP said 151 unadjusted, which actually sounds like what I expected from a roller dyno. But it seems if I would have done a run with both VRIS tied open on the K8 ECU, I might have been able to get 160 HP unadjusted and 185 crank HP, which I would have been very happy with.

But I actually trust the adjusted numbers. to be accurate. I had to identify the exact transmission I had and the correct gear ratio set so the conversion was accurate.

I was pretty happy with the torque though. What I noticed is it looks like the passenger VRIS is pretty useless. I only get a couple ft lbs from closing it. I'm going to tie open the passenger VRIS and disable it, and just get the driver side to open at 4500 RPM. That way I can save all the vacuum in the vacuum chambers for more reserve for the driver's side.
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

okay for all your runs you either had your vris tied open or tied closed di you let them run as they should i mean open at 42 and close at 67
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
14.8 1/4 mile all motor untimed on boost.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

PWRD_BY_HKS wrote:okay for all your runs you either had your vris tied open or tied closed di you let them run as they should i mean open at 42 and close at 67
No the guy kinda let me do all 5 runs for the normal cost of 3 runs if I promised to make it quick. So like I said, I've only got the yellow run with the K8 ECU, which was all closed.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”